Author Topic: Drop shot'n through the Ice!  (Read 2376 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Drop shot'n through the Ice!
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:29 AM »
Last year while fishing for trout and salmon i decided to try something a little different and think outside the icebox. I have used a Yo-Zuri for cathing trout in streams in the past and thought it would be a great idea for ice fishing except that it is a floating lure and not made to be fished vertically. So I thought about it and came up with a Drop Shot style setup with a floating casting lure. I would use a heavy jig as a dropper (pimple works) and tie on the yo-zuri. It helps to remove the front treble because it has a tendency to snag your line and possibly replace it with a single. It looked great in the water with just a small twitch, good enough that it landed me a nice 16in salmon in less than 5 min of using it.Could have been luck but I am going to work on the idea a little more. Anybody else try this?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re:Drop shot'n through the Ice!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:25 PM »
wvboy.

Never used it with a floating crankbait through the ice, but I've used a drop shot rig with dozens of different baits and jigs.  Sometimes I use a jig for the weight, and sometimes I use a bell or swivel sinker.  I usually use two hooks or lures, as that is the maximum allowed here.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re:Drop shot'n through the Ice!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 02:46 AM »
I know! It sounds a little off. But, I think that throwing out something that a fish hasnt seen is a great idea. Most realistic looking ice fishing lures do not so realistic nor act realistic except for the Salmo Chubby Darter. And, many of the crankbaits do look realistic and act realistic.Its always fun to try new things
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.