Author Topic: lake trout  (Read 3588 times)

rails1210

lake trout
« on: Feb 26, 2003, 09:23 AM »
need help how do i catch them

NAD42

Re: lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2003, 01:45 PM »
I'll show you friday.

rails1210

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2003, 11:41 AM »
any one cant give me any tips bait how deep hook size anything would help

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:43 PM »
Where are you fishing? If its a lake where you can use smelt then its smelt, if not then you can use many other baits. Some people like suckers, shiners, and and sardines. Personally I like large hunts they almost look like smelt. I have even caught them on perch bait(ie rosy red, regular fat heads) . As for the depth some say 10 ft all the way to 60 ft even deeper sometimes. I like to stay in the 20 to 40 ft range. I like to go anywhere from 10 to 15 ft down sometimes 20ft on my bait set. Some say go to the bottom and stay there, never had any luck there. For the hook size I go with small trebles or # 6 trout walleye hooks red in color. Well I hope this helps good luck.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re:lake trout
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2003, 06:59 AM »
3/8 oz jig tipped with moose or deer stomach cavity lining. (small piece) ;)

BushMaster

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2003, 10:39 AM »
A great lure Winter or Summer is a 4" white tube jig with a 3/8 oz jig. Tip this with a minnow or some sucker meat and you have a deadly lure. I like to use the Berkley Power Tubes.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:02 PM »
I like to fish in the 30 - 50 foot range in any area with good structure. Areas to look for are sunken islands, sharp drop offs, creek or river channels, sharp dropping bluffs, and points that jut out into deep water, particularly if a creek channel is nearby.
The very best area is what is called an "inside turn". This is where a deep area juts up into a shallower area, former a horse shoe area of deeper water surrounded on both sides by shallower areas. A good flasher is a must, without it you are not catching the amount of lakers you could, no doubt.
I like to use tube jigs fished on 1/8 - 3/8 ounce jigheads. I use 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch tubes in white, chartreuse, rainbow, or brown color. I rig the jig head with a small stinger treble, and tip the hook with a postage stamp sized piece of baitfish.
Most lakers are fairly close to the bottom, so start out bouncing the bottom and work your way up. If you see any fish come through at higher levels, raise your jig to their level.
Use a tipup as your second line. Fish the a live or dead baitfish within a foot of the bottom and change depths if you don't get any flags. Good luck.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.