Author Topic: What are you guys looking for in a lake trout rod.  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
What are you guys looking for in a lake trout rod.
« on: Nov 03, 2020, 11:13 AM »
I am building ups some laker rods for a few friends and myself. Mike will double for pike.

I have some 48 inch blanks I am making my buddies rod out of, and I might be cutting mine down.

I will be sanding the blanks down to get a taper I desire. Just not sure what I desire yet.

What kind of taper you guys like in laker rods. Assuming something that can handle big head shakes. Something more of a moderate action compared to fast?

They type of fishing will mainly be jigging I am assuming.

Thanks guys.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What are you guys looking for in a lake trout rod.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2020, 12:23 PM »
I agree with the med-fast action.  Blank thickness would depend on the size of the lake trout you catch.  I have a lake trout rod that is 50" and I love it the only draw back is if you are fishing in a small tent, 95% of my fishing is outside.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2020, 12:25 PM »
I built a laker rod from a 36” MH blank, MF action. I guess you could say i extended it to about 38” with the handle. You have to consider where your going to be jigging. A 48” rod in a small shack would tough. I mostly jig out of portables, so the 38” rod is perfect for me!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Most of the rod use will be outside. Both my buddies and myself all have big hubs so room won’t be an issue if they are fished inside.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:05 PM »
same boat, making a jigging rod for big fish. Bought a 42" Carbon King from Vline. How long are you thinking about making the handle?

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:14 PM »
same boat, making a jigging rod for big fish. Bought a 42" Carbon King from Vline. How long are you thinking about making the handle?

Buddy wants a shorter handle. So I spun a rear handle that is 7.5 inches. It’s a bait cast handle. I tried to convince him to go longer so he can gain some leverage. I will probably go 10” on the back. Haven’t made mine yet.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2020, 02:43 PM »
rgr that, i will probably go with something in between...

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2020, 08:44 PM »
I mostly fish outside, but not always. I’ve tried longer rods, but prefer rod in the 40-42 inch. I think handles around 8 inches are about right for this length. One rod I built at 42” with a 9” rear seems too long. I’m not sure I’ll ever be content, as it seems every year I want to build one slightly different just to see if I like it.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:35 PM »

I just got that blank profiled and will be added to the database this week - its an amazingly good blank!

Catchin' Fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Awesome! Thank You!!

Offline Trophyman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Some really good information in this post surely going to help me find a good Laker rod

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2021, 11:49 PM »
I make my laker and pike rods from cut down 6 foot long Batson solid glass saltwater blanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.