Author Topic: Tips on how to get your snowmobile to turn better.  (Read 7614 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Hey guys, just picked up a 2001 Polaris Wide Track snowmobile. I like the sled, but it turns like a Ford F-350 crew cab! Need a football field just to turn around. Any ideas on some  tricks to make the sled turn where the skis are pointed? I am not very familiar with snowmobiles and would appreciate some input. I know I am fighting an uphill battle due to the track being  long and wide. Also, my skis probably aren't the best as far as cutting into the snow. Thanks!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tips on how to get your snowmobile to turn better.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:43 PM »
P.S. I thought I better add that I have mounted and Otter box on the back which doesn't help matters either.

sunniewally

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2016, 06:48 AM »
are your carbides worn? maby need longer carbide.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:16 AM »
 check your carbides, as sunniewally suggested , if not theres a couple other options that can be tried

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:36 AM »
If you are riding on ice and you aren't going where your skis are pointed, its probably worn or non-existant carbides.   In case you don't know as you mention not being familiar with sleds....carbides are steel runners attached under the skis to grip the ice or compacted snow much like cleats on your ice fishing boots do. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm sure that is the problem. I will go out and pull a ski and see what I need to do from there. Stay tuned for more questions please. Appreciate all of the help.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:54 PM »
theres different quality wear bars too.some cheap ones are all  round metal stock. some have small pieces of carbide and others are long runner carbide.more carbide  on the wear bars equals better turning.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016, 03:31 PM »
 Definitely need new carbides. I was hoping I could just run a bead with my welder and build it up, but one of them is completely trashed. Also, one of my ski skins has worn through where the Carbide is. Any recommendations on those? They look to be pretty simple, but I would hate to order the wrong thing. The skins I have on now are quite a bit wider than the skis themselves. I like that, because I'm sure it helps to keep you from sinking in slush and powder as much. Are there package deals on these things that have everything included? Skis skins and carbides?  I know that sometimes things are cheaper when you just buy the bundle. No sense nickeling and diming things to death if there is an easier and cheaper option.  I guess the real question is, what do you guys recommend for this situation. Thanks a bunch for all of the replies so far! I really am a rookie at this. Nothing like learning firsthand from the school of hard knocks though, at least then I may not forget what I have learned.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Take a look at denniskirk.com.
Yogi Berra

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Carbides #1

#2, check adjustments on track - different on each brand, but the deal is you need to get more pressure on front (skis) - on my Polaris, flip on side, and tighten the belt at the front of track - this prevents the track from sitting lower than the skis, or, changes the sitting angle so you get more pressure on skis, and easier turning. Made a world of difference.

Nothing worse than a sled that doesn't do what you want it to do

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Carbides #1

#2, check adjustments on track - different on each brand, but the deal is you need to get more pressure on front (skis) - on my Polaris, flip on side, and tighten the belt at the front of track - this prevents the track from sitting lower than the skis, or, changes the sitting angle so you get more pressure on skis, and easier turning. Made a world of difference.

Nothing worse than a sled that doesn't do what you want it to do
Interesting. Never thought of that. Makes sense though.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2016, 07:44 AM »
"Body English" helps a lot too. Leaning into turn does a lot. Especially in snow. Helps on ice too.v carbides. Weight on skis and leaning pretty much covers it all.  Otter box may have taken some weight off front end too.  Steve

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:03 PM »
 Thought I better update you guys. Thanks for all of your help! I got new carbides and new skins installed. I should be on the ice by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.  Rather than start a new thread on this topic, how about I just ask you guys a few questions. This is going to be my first year of owning a sled for the full season. Curious about some tricks or tips when riding in certain conditions. Powder, slush,  Bad ice and bare ice?  I'm not planning on doing anything stupid, just would like some tips in my head in case something does go wrong. Take care, Joe

luv2fish2

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2016, 02:26 PM »
when in deep snow or slush circle back around once or twice and park in your own tracks helps alot so ya don't get stuck when taking off always have spare belt and plugs and know how to change them and non ethanol fuel and good oil and a touch of seafoam never hurts , if towing look and ck to make sure everything you started with is still there ( make sure it is attached well) i'm sure there's lot's of other things guy's will chime in that's what come's to mind and if ya think it's unsafe and ya shouldn't , Trust your instincts seem people do some pretty stupid stuff that in hindsight they say what was i thinking . Good luck let us know how it goes  Kevin

oh yeah if your still having problem's turning sometimes if ya tap the brakes it shifts the weight forward which helps

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2016, 02:42 PM »
Just that post was worth me asking the question. Thanks Kevin! Some of that, I never would have thought of.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:46 PM »
When things get sketchy, the throttle is your friend. Deep snow, slush, bad ice/water skippy. Put the flipper to the bar and ride it out.

luv2fish2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Just that post was worth me asking the question. Thanks Kevin! Some of that, I never would have thought of.

this place is full of great idea's !!! glad I could help  ;D

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Another hint on towing.....use a rope along with your tow bar.  On another site, I read of a number of people every year who come off the ice and realize they don't have what they were towing anymore due to a broken hitch or tow bar.  Last year one guy lost a Clam Yukon and all his gear.  As far as I know, he never recovered any of it.  I use a rope tied on the tub of my flip over then hooked to the receiver of the hitch. 
Yogi Berra

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Good tip DLB..........Thanks !!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2016, 02:50 PM »
Good tip DLB..........Thanks !!

You're very welcome and I hope you never have to find out it saved the day.
Yogi Berra

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Thought I better update you guys. Thanks for all of your help! I got new carbides and new skins installed. I should be on the ice by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.  Rather than start a new thread on this topic, how about I just ask you guys a few questions. This is going to be my first year of owning a sled for the full season. Curious about some tricks or tips when riding in certain conditions. Powder, slush,  Bad ice and bare ice?  I'm not planning on doing anything stupid, just would like some tips in my head in case something does go wrong. Take care, Joe

If your sled is liquid cooled, dont ride on bare ice for very long.

The snow gets flung up under the tunnel on the heat exchangers (picture a radiator-ish) and cools the antifreeze flowing through them. No snow or slush, no cooling. BOOM there goes your motor.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:47 AM »
when in doubt.. gas it out!lol

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Double runner carbide will help you turn better then single runners. But be careful cuz they get a lot better bite and could throw you off if your not use to them.
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.