Author Topic: Any chance with a 2WD quad???  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any chance with a 2WD quad???
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Anyone have any good or bad experiences with a 2wd quad in the snow or ice? I just bought a 250 2wd with chains on it. I've got a winch if I get stuck, I just hope I don't have to dig to much. My gear is pretty heavy and I hope to not have to tow anything.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any chance with a 2WD quad???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:34 PM »
Had a friend who ran a 250, 2wd. He had paddle type tires for winter, never even used chains.
Only time he had any problem was glare ice. He had to nurse it to get going.

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:43 AM »
I'm just worried about the slush or drifts. My chains have the little nibs welded on them so that should help. I made a bar that can go under the ice to hook to my winch if I get stuck.

Offline JohnnyC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Keep my blaster at my brothers house in the winter to mess around on the lake.  With Vbar type chains on the rear wheels that thing is awesome!  with  no snow and SUPER slick ice it just eats the ice up.  You cant steer at all but can get going in a hurry.  With a little snow or slush its even better. Great traction and you can steer. Handles great in pretty decent snow.  I dont recall the deepest snow I've taken her out in but never gotten stuck. 
And as far as ice fishing goes it is a life savor. When snow is on the ground its the only lake I fish at so that I have transportation.
Even if the fishing is slow, I can always catch a buzz.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:49 AM »
As long as there's less than 12" of loose snow, you shouldn't have any problems.

In this picture there was 14" of loose snow, I could keep the bike moving but had to back up and take a couple of tries at a few of the deeper sections. The chains make a huge difference, especially the V-bar units.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline fishingfreak9625

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:06 PM »
i have a 4x4 and a rwd atv. The rwd my son takes out on the lake and he does fine as long as there is about 6 inches or less snow once it gets over that then hell just ride on the back with me till we get to our fishing hole. If you got good treads on your tires and chains you will make it through about 8-10 inches. takes a short time to get used to nursing it in different conditions but you will get used to it

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I have a suzuki ozark 250 2 wheel drive it goes great in snow even pulling my sled and all my gear.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:23 PM »
i have a 2 wheel drive golf cart with a 4 inch lift and never have any problems

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I've got the V bar chains but I'd say my tires are down to about 25% tread. We will see how the weekend goes. I'll probably have it for sale on Monday!!

Offline carcus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I have a king quad 4x4 with mudzillas on it, it won't go anywhere in 2wd, no chains though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.