Author Topic: Ice Fishing with ATVs  (Read 5429 times)

Offline SeaMonster

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing with ATVs
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:20 PM »
For those that use their ATV on the ice, do you use studded tires, just rear chains, or chains front and rear? Any advantages or disadvantages to these set ups?  ???

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing with ATVs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I personally don't use either my grizz is a 4x4 and only got stuck once in the slush. But lucky I was close to shore to winch my self out. I don't think you need them but others on here might have a different view and or experiences. Best of luck

Offline lovtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Norway, Maine
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I only use tire chains on the rear tires. It seems to be adequate so long that the snow is so deep that you bottom out.

Offline lovtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Norway, Maine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I only use tire chains on the rear tires. It seems to be adequate so long that the snow is so deep that you bottom out.
  Oops!  I meant . . . "don't bottom out". . .

Offline Chasin Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I have an '03 Prairie 650 vtwin and I am really impressed with this machine in the snow. I started plowing with it this year, without any chains, and have had absolutely no issues.
Men and fish are alike, they both get into trouble when they open their mouths!

Offline lovtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Norway, Maine
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I own a Grizzly 660 and only use rear chains. I was stuck in some pretty sticky slush once last year and wasn't lucky like SeaMonster and could be close to shore, But, I have a remedy for that. Cut a 48" length of pressure treated 4x4 and put it in your sled, when you get stuck, drill a hole just short of the length of the winch cable. Put the 4x4 in the hole 2/3 of the way in, wrap the cable around the 4x4 at the closest point to the ice and winch yourself out. if you find yourself still stuck, just repeat the process until your out to flat ice again. Hope this helps!!--KP :)
  Great suggestion!  I am new at 4 wheeling and this is a great suggestion.
Thanks
Norm

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I use 3/8" sheetmetal screws and it makes a big difference especially on bare ice.  
Never Give Up!

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Kingperch I like that idea with the 4x4 piece of wood.  ;D

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I use 3/8" sheetmetal screws and it makes a big difference especially on bare ice.  
I did that with my SLED; couldn't move on bare ice, made all the difference!
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:06 PM »
I take my 17 boy with me and if i get stuck guess who pushes :thumbsup:

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I own a Grizzly 660 and only use rear chains. I was stuck in some pretty sticky slush once last year and wasn't lucky like SeaMonster and could be close to shore, But, I have a remedy for that. Cut a 48" length of pressure treated 4x4 and put it in your sled, when you get stuck, drill a hole just short of the length of the winch cable. Put the 4x4 in the hole 2/3 of the way in, wrap the cable around the 4x4 at the closest point to the ice and winch yourself out. if you find yourself still stuck, just repeat the process until your out to flat ice again. Hope this helps!!--KP :)

The 4x4 might work ,But don't try a Fiskars axe with an unbreakable handle .!!!!!!!     The unbreakable handle with snap like a twig and your cable will fly back into your front end and wrap around the cv shaft and tie rod .  IT will twist both of them in half leaving you with 2 wheel drive and a front tire flapping in the wind . Also you will still be stuck and have to call your brother telling him you wrecked his 4 wheeler ..    Not fun >:( >:(

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:16 PM »
i don't think the chains help out that much in snow as they do one hard pack snow or ice, the chains need something to bite into. I have run the rear set the last few years, i think they are necessary for moving a shack. I haven't put them on this year yet, gonna try it with out for a while

Offline polartippah

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "TroyTMG" on MYFishFinder.com
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Usually the only time I get stuck with the 4 wheeler (in snow) is if the snow is too deep and the wheeler actually floats up on the snow so that the tires are not able to pull on something solid.  I don't think that chains or studs would make a difference in that situation.

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Well I have a 2003 Kaw Prairie 650 4x4 we bought new in 03.  Never had to have chains or anything until this winter. I live in SW Iowa. The month of Dec we got 25-30" of snow and I was having trouble getting around and getting stuck.  I first bought 4 new Swamp Fox tires (the original tires were wore out) and say that helped, but still having trouble when the tires spun through the snow to the ice.  Ordered 2 sets of chains, one set for the rear wheels and one set for the front wheels.  Man now I got something, I can go through 20" of new or recently fallen snow without getting stuck.  If I do get high centered.  I stop clean the snow out from behind the tires get back on put it in reverse and give it some throttle while I bounce on it a little and back right out and then put it in forward and give it heck and bust right through.   I have also purchased a brand new WARN plow with a 54" blade and put on it along with a new WARN RT25 winch (didn't buy a winch with it when we bought it new) and now I can go through a little deeper snow by running the plow blade 9-10" off the ground and taking the top of the drifts off.

I have the V bar chains and man do they bite into the ice and give me traction.

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:48 PM »
i dont need studs or chains on my grizzly 660  ;D
TIP-UP

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I don't have chains or studs on my Big Bear 400, it is full time 4-wheel drive. So far I have not been stuck.

Offline Iced in Brookies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:58 PM »
I have a polaris 500 with rear chains only. Only had one issue last year with getting stuck, but after reading the 4x4 trick, that will never happen again.  :thumbsup:

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:43 PM »
For you grizzly owners a big thumbs up what a machine. I used my captains 660 the whole trapping season and what a beast. I only was stuck  once well more floating. I put the old girl to the test and was very impressed. The tires are worn right off it can't imagine what a good set of sneakers would do. He had a set off camoplast tracks when he first bought it and pulled my fullsize 4x4 truck off pond because of snow drifts NO BULL. With tracks it went anywhere you wanted to go in any snow we have got. I was going to buy a cheaper machine but after a trapping season with that im going to have one this spring.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:20 PM »
If you think your atv is great without chain's try it with them. I chain my Ranger up front and back and you need a lot of snow to stop it.

Offline TommyT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:27 AM »
purchased a brand new 09 grizzly 700 with power steering last year.  Put chains on the rear tires.  I have yet to find something it cannot power through, especially when you push the magic yellow botton ;D

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Yeh I agree there. I,m not a very big guy and that little yellow button allows the machine to man handle me. How far back does the power steering go. I can not afford to buy a new one. I have always run older throw aways because I like to turn wrenches. After a taste of that theres no going back and im not getting any younger. His was not power steering and I think a 03 not sure.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:09 AM »

after years of walikng and pulling and over loaded sled-we can fish in style and comfort and move about easier ;D

Offline FenDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Well you don't really need any but if you want to get through anything mother nature throws at you I suggest chains in the rear.

And run at least one row of studs in the front so you don't push in the corners on glare ice.

It all really depends on how fast you want to go and how much control you want to have with the hammer down  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.