New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024587 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5070 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:37 AM »
 That warm up rain and big wind 1.5 weeks ago really put the boots to me , then comes the cold 😡, shortened my season 2.5 weeks compared to the past 2 years , but did fish much more though and the last week of walleye was unreal best ending week I’ve ever had ,

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5071 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Those poor eyes took a beating.

The perch got off fairly easy though.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5072 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:42 AM »

The perch got off fairly easy though.
Only for a while 👍

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5073 on: Mar 22, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Hi Filet and Release... wondering if your last week of the season eyes came through the ice or casting in open water?
My last Oneida trip was Saturday March 7th. Way to go!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5074 on: Mar 22, 2020, 12:54 PM »
Hi Filet and Release... wondering if your last week of the season eyes came through the ice or casting in open water?
My last Oneida trip was Saturday March 7th. Way to go!

Hes a crazy diehard like the rest of us and I'm sure he fished ice til he couldn't no more
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5075 on: Mar 22, 2020, 03:45 PM »

Hes a crazy diehard like the rest of us and I'm sure he fished ice til he couldn't no more
[/quote
 That is true,  goon and I fished open water the last week as we had to give up on the ice as she was a little shaky 😃

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5076 on: Mar 24, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Filet, I was thinking that might be the case.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5077 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:37 PM »
I figured I would dust this thread off.

Gonna be a while still though.

Surface temp was 39 yesterday and it went down a few degrees in a week. I hate to say it but a good dump of snow would help cool it off.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5078 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:51 PM »
I figured I would dust this thread off.

Gonna be a while still though.

Surface temp was 39 yesterday and it went down a few degrees in a week. I hate to say it but a good dump of snow would help cool it off.
  Yes sir some snow sure would help , colder temps are coming , think tonight may have been my last eye shore casting night ,

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5079 on: Dec 13, 2020, 07:35 AM »
I bet you can squeak in another night or 2 after this week. The NOAA 8-14 day shows above average temps through Christmas after this cool down.

I might sneak the boat out one more time. The water level has dropped a lot in the past 2 weeks.

Hopefully we get a nice cold snap after New Years.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5080 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Good to see you guys back! I’m ready for ice!!! 😈🎣🕳
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5081 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:39 AM »

Got in the spirit and installed my Led Christmas lights in the 1 man , going to add add little more skirting to the clam as the material closest to the tub doesn’t lay flat for banking in

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5082 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:08 AM »
 Took a ride yesterday to see how some lakes looked , most are cooling nicely, 1 was about 2’ low , might see some action next week as I’m grounded for the weekend

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5083 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:32 AM »
I found almost 2"s of clear solid ice yesterday.    If we dont get this stupid snow i might fish Sunday..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Online hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5084 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:44 AM »
It would help some of the larger lakes if the wind would die down....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5085 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:50 AM »
It would help some of the larger lakes if the wind would die down....h2l

So true

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5086 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I must disagree that a calm day will make a lake freeze up quicker. Really wind causes more heat loss from a body of water than calm air.  I would rather reach my hands in my hole through the ice on a calm day than on a windy day having the same outside temperature. The wind will really cool off my hands quicker.  I will admit the lake may not free over on the windy day because the lake is churning, but as soon as it calms down thicker ice will form. 

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #5087 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:59 AM »
If its locked up, the wind wont effect the ice too much. The issue with wind, especially early, is that it'll break up and ruin new ice. I know Little Wolf in the adks had all the ice blown off of it yesterday due to the wind. If its too windy, chances a large body of water lock up are real slim

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5088 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:01 AM »
I must disagree that a calm day will make a lake freeze up quicker. Really wind causes more heat loss from a body of water than calm air.  I would rather reach my hands in my hole through the ice on a calm day than on a windy day having the same outside temperature. The wind will really cool off my hands quicker.  I will admit the lake may not free over on the windy day because the lake is churning, but as soon as it calms down thicker ice will form.

You do know wind chill has no effect on making ice form faster. Do you self a test and put a beer in the bed of your truck and tape one to the top of your car and drive at 55 for 20 minutes when temp is below freezing When you get back both beers will be the same temp. Wind chill only effects mammals not anything else
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5089 on: Dec 16, 2020, 10:52 AM »
The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. So if it is windy and below 32°F, water (a lake) will freeze faster. Ice will form faster on a windy day. My Engineering studies in heat transfer makes me disagree with you.  Convective Heat Transfer

The equation for convection can be expressed as:

q = hc A dT                                         (1)
where
q = heat transferred per unit time (W, Btu/hr)
A = heat transfer area of the surface (m2, ft2)
hc = convective heat transfer coefficient of the process (W/(m2oC, Btu/(ft2 h oF))
dT = temperature difference between the surface and the bulk fluid (oC, F)

Put a thermometer in your beer cans and record temperature vs time and you will find that your beer can on the roof gets colder faster than the one behind the cab on your truck.  If it is 0° out the can on the roof will freeze faster at 55 mph than the one in the bed of your truck out of the wind.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5090 on: Dec 16, 2020, 12:35 PM »
 Calm cold nights creates a sheet much faster than when it’s windy  ,
 All I know after 40+ years just give me 3”s of good ice , and I’m far from a rocket scientist 😜just an ol buzzard hoping to catch a fish 🎣 🕳

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5091 on: Dec 16, 2020, 12:48 PM »
The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. So if it is windy and below 32°F, water (a lake) will freeze faster. Ice will form faster on a windy day. My Engineering studies in heat transfer makes me disagree with you.  Convective Heat Transfer

The equation for convection can be expressed as:

q = hc A dT                                         (1)
where
q = heat transferred per unit time (W, Btu/hr)
A = heat transfer area of the surface (m2, ft2)
hc = convective heat transfer coefficient of the process (W/(m2oC, Btu/(ft2 h oF))
dT = temperature difference between the surface and the bulk fluid (oC, F)

Put a thermometer in your beer cans and record temperature vs time and you will find that your beer can on the roof gets colder faster than the one behind the cab on your truck.  If it is 0° out the can on the roof will freeze faster at 55 mph than the one in the bed of your truck out of the wind.

Looks like Filet took his Post down before I could answer it but as always his experience is always right. Low wind chill below freezing does not make ice freeze until the air temp is below freezing. Until a pond is locked up high winds below freezing typically will disrupt the water surface to break up any skim before it can lock up but the body of water will be colder and freeze quicker when it calms down. And Fishing-Mission is right with his beer can analysis because the cold wind blowing across a metal can will "suck" the heat away faster so the beer will get colder "faster" but never get any colder than the actual temperature of the wind. Everyone is right, ehhh. Not more important we need a week of those calm, cold, nights. Cya.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5092 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Let’s hope we get some below zero weather to form some good ice so we all can get out for some ice fishing.  I am hopeful for early January, but the way things have been the last few years that is unlikely.  Unfortunately, the woolly caterpillars show a lot of brown in their middle, so I hope the old wife’s tale about them predicting winter is wrong.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5093 on: Dec 17, 2020, 05:14 AM »
 Last year my first day on the ice was December 22 and my last  day was March 13 neither were on Oneida 😃

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5094 on: Dec 17, 2020, 05:52 AM »
12/22 was my first day on Oneida as well Fred. My last day on Oneida was 3/8 and 4 days later I had the boat out.

I am guessing mid January. Everything I read points to a warmer than normal winter.

Offline FigBish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5095 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:51 AM »
New to the site. How was the "fall-eye" bite this year?

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #5096 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Well fellers......the time has come to let my better half enjoy the warmth of a southern climate...south for the winter months...my ice fishing career is coming to an end after 50+ yrs........gonna be a hard transition for myself but hopefully will adapt to some S. Carolina fishing.......and maybe a round of golf or 2........she's earned it , putting up with me for so long............ya'll have a great and safe ice season and save a few for me for next spring.......P.S.-( might have to grab a quick flight home for a week or so.....shhhh)...lol

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5097 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Well fellers......the time has come to let my better half enjoy the warmth of a southern climate...south for the winter months...my ice fishing career is coming to an end after 50+ yrs........gonna be a hard transition for myself but hopefully will adapt to some S. Carolina fishing.......and maybe a round of golf or 2........she's earned it , putting up with me for so long............ya'll have a great and safe ice season and save a few for me for next spring.......P.S.-( might have to grab a quick flight home for a week or so.....shhhh)...lol

You'll have to Quartine to the ice the whole time your here call it home so they don't harass you lol 😂🤣

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5098 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:33 AM »
  Best of luck. Your ice reports will be greatly missed. Thanks for all of the detailed ice reports over the years. You know what they say happy wife happy life.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5099 on: Dec 17, 2020, 11:45 AM »
New to the site. How was the "fall-eye" bite this year?
Can’t speak for others but I’m really pleased with my results , third best year I have had in 30+ , I only count legal fish ,
 But for the percentage fish landed to trips is the best Ive ever had
   But you have to consider the huge population of walleyes in Oneida

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.