Author Topic: Short lady putting up a hub shanty  (Read 433 times)

Offline AspensMom352

• IceShanty Rookie
Short lady putting up a hub shanty
« on: Feb 20, 2024, 10:34 AM »
I am 5'0" tall & plan to fish alone.  A flip-over shanty won't fit in my vehicle.  I have tried the hub-style shanties & can't get the top hub set due to my height & strength.  Ideas???

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Short lady putting up a hub shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2024, 10:52 AM »
You probably have a hard time reaching the hub to pull it out?  Maybe try a foot long hook of some type to extend your reach?  Also make sure you have one foot on the skirt while pulling on the hub. Good luck!

Offline AGC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2024, 11:27 AM »
1. Start with the roof section first.
2. If you will be by yourself maybe a smaller hunting blind will work.

Offline AspensMom352

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2024, 11:37 AM »
The roof section is my only concern & I know that's where to start.  I'm wondering if I could lay it on its side & secure it somehow & pop the top out sideways.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2024, 11:52 AM »
My Eskimo quickfish 2i is less than 6 feet tall in the center and likely closer to 5'9".  I am 5'8" and when I stand up in the center my hat is touching the roof fabric.  I would think you should be able to reach that.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2024, 12:53 PM »
Pop up one or two sides than pop the top.  Just tip it over when it's time for take down.  I do mine this way even though I'm 6'4.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:19 PM »
Couple of techniques to try on dry land  ...also maybe a collapsible plastic stool could be used to gain some height to pop up the center after the sides...later the stool can be used to keep the heater off the ice and keep slush at a minimum

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:23 PM »
The roof section is my only concern & I know that's where to start.  I'm wondering if I could lay it on its side & secure it somehow & pop the top out sideways.

Most manufacturers will tell you to start with the sides, then do the roof last.  Personally, I have done it both ways.  Whichever is easiest for you.  Can you lay it on its sides - sure.  You may have to decide if its easier to do the roof first, then start pulling the sides out, when done, just flip it upright.

Just watch whichever way the wind is blowing so it doesn't turn into a sail. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:43 PM »
I guess a milk crate or bucket would solve the problem too.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2024, 05:49 PM »
I am 5'0" tall & plan to fish alone.  A flip-over shanty won't fit in my vehicle.  I have tried the hub-style shanties & can't get the top hub set due to my height & strength.  Ideas???

Suitcase style fits in trunk of a Honda civic
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.