Author Topic: Anomalous yellow perch  (Read 1814 times)

Offline JBmossback

• IceShanty Rookie
Anomalous yellow perch
« on: Nov 25, 2022, 01:48 PM »

One of the yellow perch I caught a few days ago was not like the others. Instead of the normal white-colored flesh, it was yellow-colored. Only one of them was like this. It did not smell bad, but it is noticeably different that the other fillets.
Has anyone encountered this before?

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anomalous yellow perch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2022, 01:52 PM »

One of the yellow perch I caught a few days ago was not like the others. Instead of the normal white-colored flesh, it was yellow-colored. Only one of them was like this. It did not smell bad, but it is noticeably different that the other fillets.

No way!?
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2022, 02:10 PM »
About the only thing I could find that it's possible the meat became tainted by a busted gall bladder.  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2022, 10:50 AM »

I know other fish can have color changes based on diet and food source.  I'm not sure if effects perch but for example trout eat scuds, ingest astaxanthin, excess astaxanthin is stored in the muscle tissue which can turn the meat orange or pink.  it can be found in scuds and crustaceans.  maybe your perch was on strict crawdad/fish diet.  I personally have never seen it in perch though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.