The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake Tips  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Houghton Lake Tips
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Thanks for coming up and supporting the business around the lake. Like I told someone else it id like playing the lotto, somedays you win but most days you lose I could say I told you so but I won't because it is just fishing and you never know until you go

A lot of people on here could tell me “I told you so” right now, and they’d be right. But like you said, you have to experience it for yourself I guess. We make a trip to a different lake every year to ice fish and I can honestly say I’ve never experienced anything like this. We still had a great time, but the effort it takes to fish Houghton doesn’t seem to be worth the quality of the fish.

Do people catch great fish on Houghton? Absolutely. I have no doubt about it, but when it takes 100 dinks to get one keeper it’s just not justifiable. Glad we went, but I’m homesick for my southern MI lakes 😂

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I know what you are saying wish I could have been more help to you. I only fish it a few times during the winter but go to it every chance I get in the summer. It is a lake that you can catch many gills close to 10 inches out of if you hit the right spot. I am more of a smaller lake guy. Growing up in Allegan county biggest lake I ever fished was Gun. In later years spent most of my time on Lake Mich

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Seen where you are from Scout and couldn't resist.  How are the pan fish biting on Missaukee?  My Nephew and I try to come up there and spend a weekend at least once a year.  How's the ice?  Not looking for numbers, just to get a general idea.  Should we wait another month?

I hve not been out there yet but from what I heard talking to people that have it is poor. Most are catching small perch. I hve not talked to anyone that fished off Green Road. I drove in there last Fri and a lot of people were fishing to the south of Green Road, never saw anyone fish there before. There was one shanty out on the area where you fish fore gills but no one fishing. We got 6 inches plus of snow last night and it is wet

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Seen where you are from Scout and couldn't resist.  How are the pan fish biting on Missaukee?  My Nephew and I try to come up there and spend a weekend at least once a year.  How's the ice?  Not looking for numbers, just to get a general idea.  Should we wait another month?

We fished lake Missaukee yesterday for the first time ever after fishing Houghton the day before with very little luck. Missaukee had a good 8" of ice everywhere we drilled holes. We caught a ton of small perch and left with 7 between the two of us and I caught something like a 26-28" pike on my ultra lite with a 5mm tungsten and 3# line, that was a fun first for me. Nothing on tip ups. This was out of the end of Green Rd.

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:21 PM »
We were 1 of 3 trucks whose first time ever on Missaukee was yesterday, we all parked next to one another and have never met once before, thought that was funny.  Just happy we made it out yesterday before the heavy wet snow. Gonna be a lot harder getting around on foot now.  Fun time and really want to fish it in the boat to get a better idea of the lake.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Misaukee is an oxymoron!  LOL.  It is both hard to fish and easy at the same time.  There are so many sunken islands a guy doesn't know where to start.  But, the islands make it easy to catch the fish, once you find them.  I guy can be fishing in 15ft. and auger a hole 10ft away and only be in 3ft., crazy!  My Nephew and I thought we were fishing the same drop off, but found out we had "the peak of the island" between us and were actually fishing both sides of it.  We usually fish the S. end more then the rest.  It is one of my favorite lakes, as it holds just about everything a guy would want to catch.  And, a lot of nice size fish when you can get on them.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:14 PM »
  The fishing was better there before they killed off th weeds.The fishing when the gills go on the beds is good. They sunk some whole trees tied togather a couple years ago and I think if you find them you will find the fish. I was told that when they sunk they drifted a ways from where they intended them to be. I heard last year that the one off the city dock was loaded with specks but that is hearsay. My son brought me 5 walleyes this after noon from another lake

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Houghton Lake is now off my bucket list ...3 trips...no fish.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline LukeB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:19 PM »
We did very well this past weekend on Houghton. We were on foot, first time targeting gills and crappies through the ice out there. My tips-- 1. Get away from everybody. I don't mean go out on East Bay/South shore and get 1/4 mile from the closest group. I mean find other LEGAL access points. 2. Find the map of the weed bed densities floating around the forums and use that to your advantage and keep moving along the edges until you find them. 3. Large plastics help weed out the bites from the pinky sized perch.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Anyone fish the North Bay? Possibly renting a house there mid February but have never fished there. Seems shallow.

Offline Homeriffic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • One on the slab is worth two in the bush.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:32 AM »
It's odd to me how many people are down on the lake.  I fish it year 'round and find the Middle Grounds very productive for tip up fisherman, bobbers all year...  tons of pike, but sure only a few over 30+ each trip.  Small mouth and large mouth year-round and abundant.  Huge gills on this lake.  Perch...yeah, on the smaller side for sure.  Walleyes - use blues on a tip up or jig with a larger spoon and a minnow off the weed lines (I use tip-ups) around the Middle Grounds or early ice in East Bay.  11 now is may target depth most of the time.  I'll be on the lake next week again and will post a report after that trip.
Procrastifishing...and proud of it.

Offline Pilatusbahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:42 AM »
If walking out from the South DNR launch.
You've got about a mile to get to the middlegrounds. And 1.5 to get to the far reaches of it.

As previously posted....check a contour map
have made 2-3 trips a year past 2 years and found dropoffs to be great spots

on the shallow side - drill LOTS OF HOLES and move til you find the panfish
Anywhere from 8'-12'

On the dropoffs - set your tipups in the 13'-15'-17' depths

When you find em....makes for a great day on the ice.
And....if you can hookup with a group, or the offer on the ARGO - dont let an opportunity pass you buy.

We stayed at a Cabin on the north side 2 years ago.
Got info off of another site, and passed it on to the Owner - who next year, cut us a 1/2 price rate because he killed the fish
off our #'s that entire winter. Karma and Passing it Forward goes a long ways!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2019, 11:56 AM »
It's odd to me how many people are down on the lake.  I fish it year 'round and find the Middle Grounds very productive for tip up fisherman, bobbers all year...  tons of pike, but sure only a few over 30+ each trip.  Small mouth and large mouth year-round and abundant.  Huge gills on this lake.  Perch...yeah, on the smaller side for sure.  Walleyes - use blues on a tip up or jig with a larger spoon and a minnow off the weed lines (I use tip-ups) around the Middle Grounds or early ice in East Bay.  11 now is may target depth most of the time.  I'll be on the lake next week again and will post a report after that trip.

I think I know why they are down on this lake. Look at the size of it and many that come here to fish are on foot and when they see the lake for the first time have not a clue where to go. I fish it a lot during the summer but in the winter very seldom fish it because I know of many other lakes that you do not have to walk so far to get on the fish. I like to travel as light as possible and hate loading and unloading my quad

Offline Homeriffic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • One on the slab is worth two in the bush.
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I get that...the distance thing.  It does mean something to know where to go since even then I am loading a quad and towing a sled.  Many lakes do not require that, and this one can be daunting if you do not know where to fish.  I guess years of experience here makes it easier.  Anyway...good luck to all.  I will post after my trip next week. 
Procrastifishing...and proud of it.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I get that...the distance thing.  It does mean something to know where to go since even then I am loading a quad and towing a sled.  Many lakes do not require that, and this one can be daunting if you do not know where to fish.  I guess years of experience here makes it easier.  Anyway...good luck to all.  I will post after my trip next week.

It is that way on any lake around. The area of the lake is everything. Good Luck on Your trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.