The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big dead jacks  (Read 1502 times)

Offline ryleyr

• IceShanty Rookie
Big dead jacks
« on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:34 PM »
Curious how everyone likes to rig their big dead baits… threading em? Quick strike rig? I’ve been impressed on my hookup ratio with normal smelts I run high or pretty much anywhere in the water column. But can’t seem to make it happen on any of my deep sets with a big dead jack on the bottom. Open to all advice and stories. Tight lines and stay safe everyone!!

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big dead jacks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2024, 12:06 PM »
I've always made my own with a split ring and a  steel leader through the split ring  about 4 inches long.  A #2 treble on each end of leader. Main line is attached to split ring. A small rubber band is passed through the split ring, And then through itself creating loop to go around the middle of the smelt. Hope this helps. I will try to post a picture of it, so it's easier to visualize

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2024, 01:31 PM »
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2024, 03:15 PM »
That video link  is better than me trying to explain it. It works awesome. I have also used it on  big live Goldens too without the rubber band. Good luck with it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2024, 04:24 PM »
Quick strike rigs suck for heavily pressured fisheries....

Offline ryleyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2024, 07:51 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!

Offline Skorpion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2024, 09:40 PM »
I find quick strike rigs cause more problems than they are worth…. The second hook rarely ends up in the fish for me, and too often ends up catching the bottom of the hole. I like an octopus single 1/0-3/0 if planning for numbers of fish, or a single #8-6 treble if I really want to hold onto it. But when fishing any trebles I bring the fish to the hole cautiously until I see the hook placement, nothing worse than hooking the hole and watching the fish you waited for all day shake loose….

I have run circle hooks in the salt (as is now required often) but never through the ice. Anyone have experience with that?

Offline ryleyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2024, 06:13 AM »
I find quick strike rigs cause more problems than they are worth…. The second hook rarely ends up in the fish for me, and too often ends up catching the bottom of the hole. I like an octopus single 1/0-3/0 if planning for numbers of fish, or a single #8-6 treble if I really want to hold onto it. But when fishing any trebles I bring the fish to the hole cautiously until I see the hook placement, nothing worse than hooking the hole and watching the fish you waited for all day shake loose….

I have run circle hooks in the salt (as is now required often) but never through the ice. Anyone have experience with that?

Hey skorpion, thanks for the advice, I actually run owner mosquito circle hooks on my tip ups that I’ll put regular smelt on. Size 4 or 6 usually I believe, they are pretty small they’ll sit on your pinky fingertip. I hook them how a striper charter captain showed me to hook mackerel. Run the hook pretty much under the smelts “nose” right in front of their eye. I don’t actually pierce any of the skin while doing this. I’m terrible at explaining things but I hope that makes sense!! It doesn’t work as well with shiners but is doable. Tight lines to you!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2024, 10:11 AM »

I didnt enjoy circles on the ice for pike.  If (and it happens) they swallow a circle its much harder to remove than a octopus.

Offline ryleyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05:07 PM »
I didnt enjoy circles on the ice for pike.  If (and it happens) they swallow a circle its much harder to remove than a octopus.

I don’t personally fish for pike, I’m pretty laker crazy once I have ice safe enough to fish for em! But something I’ve found to make a huge difference is using a snell knot and to always set the hook on the run

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Im a laker fanatic too.  All season.  Lots of time chasing them on champlain.  I did snells too but ultimately landed in 5/0 owner octopus on crimped afw surflon 25lb, that setup was good for a nice solid hookset. Works really well with jaw jackers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.