The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flip Over Questions  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flip Over Questions
« on: Aug 28, 2019, 03:51 PM »
I've recently sold my quad and plan on doing some downsizing on my fish shack.  My question is I frequently have a buddy fishing with me, but my current shack is running around 120 lbs (without gear).  It has decent space for 2 guys, but I'm not really feeling the urge pulling 200 lbs of a fully loaded sled every time I go out.  I'm looking at going down to an Otter XT Cabin X-Over, or the new Nanook Thermal XL.  The Cabin is 95 lbs and the Nanook is around 75 lbs.  The Nanook is definitely lighter, but I'm not sure on what it's like to fish out of size wise?  Maybe someone can help me out?  I know Otter is higher quality, but I've heard some negative comments on the whole X-Over system.  Not sure if it's true or not.

Thanks!

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flip Over Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I owned a Nanook for many years but once it hit the point where I needed a replacement tub, fabric and poles I bought an Otter Cabin.  Both have advantages.  My opinion is that for walking every pound counts.  The Nanook is a great hut but you will sacrifice some room comparing to the Cabin.  I fished with 2 people quite often out of it and was fine.  Now I use a one man when I walk on early ice.  Have you considered a pop up if you need some extra room for friends? 

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Buy a single and tell your buddy to buy a single, you just shaved off a lot of weight.
Seriously if your dragging I would rule out otter.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2019, 02:51 PM »
I have a flip over as well, but I like the convenience of my flip shack when it comes to set up.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Fellas build yourself a Smitty sled and weight will not be a problem.

Thor
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Fellas build yourself a Smitty sled and weight will not be a problem.

Thor
I upgraded last year to the Otter XT Pro X-Over Cabin. I love it, but it's heavy. The Smitty Sled makes pulling in the snow so much easier. I'm way too old and out of shape to work that hard anymore!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.