Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Waubay area  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Waubay area
« on: Feb 11, 2022, 02:08 PM »
Hey guys, planning on heading up to the Waubay area next week on 2/17. I have been checking the South Dakota pages here and they are SUPER tight lipped with any information.  Im planning on calling sportsmans Cove to try and get an ice report at a minimum but I thought it might be worth asking here on the Iowa board since I know people from central Iowa make the journey... Staying on the South side of Blue Dog, any help/advice is appreciated. TITE LINES- Shoney

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Waubay area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2022, 06:58 PM »
There have been lots of people out on blue dog. Haven’t heard how the fishing been there. We were up a few weeks ago and Bitter was slow for us. We did awesome on Stink up by Eden but they were smaller perch. 8-10”. The guides know where the perch are and eyes are at in Bitter. When the sno bears show up at the cleaning shack coming from Bitter, they sure got it figured out.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Thanks for the information, I got a ice report from Sportsmans and we will just need to figure it out from there. It's my first trip to the area and its a last minute trip so Im just wanting any general information that may be helpful. Heading up Thursday and I got 3 days to get something going.  Since this is such a last minute trip we are finding guides pretty much booked up. Thanks again.

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Like any fishing report by the time you hear about it it's too late.   But here is what I can tell you, Fished Waubay 3 weeks ago and did very well on perch and walleye on the east side of the island back in the bay away from the crowds. perch were mostly 10-11 inches with a few 13 inchers mixed in. Walleyes were mostly 17-19 inches had one that measured 25, but it went back down the hole. 4 guys limited out 2 days in a row. My guess is others have figured out that area also or the fish have moved on to a different area, its worth a try IMO.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2022, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for the info, its week of now so the weather looks favorable for fishing but we are just hoping the "measurable amount of snow" holds off for the drive up... Always an adventure. Thanks Guys and as always tite lines!!!

Shoney

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:20 PM »
Just want to give a quick report for anyone from Iowa that is making the trip to Waubay in the next few weeks.  We  had 12 guys fishing and Blue Dog was good for Walleyes 13-18 inch and some nice perch. Bitter provided small numbers of very nice perch and mostly small walleyes.  We drove out on Waubay and the ice heaves made it  very difficult to move around on and there were almost no shacks.  We met a number of great Iowa guys while we were here which was AWESOME.  Thanks for the help just want to pay it forward for anyone making the trip soon.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:25 PM »
Almost forgot... we had the best bite on minnows and red spikes. <°}}}}}}})<   Tite lines, Shoney

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2022, 03:32 PM »
Was wondering how you guys accessed the east island area and what the island's name is

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:00 PM »
Just want to give a quick report for anyone from Iowa that is making the trip to Waubay in the next few weeks.  We  had 12 guys fishing and Blue Dog was good for Walleyes 13-18 inch and some nice perch. Bitter provided small numbers of very nice perch and mostly small walleyes.  We drove out on Waubay and the ice heaves made it  very difficult to move around on and there were almost no shacks.  We met a number of great Iowa guys while we were here which was AWESOME.  Thanks for the help just want to pay it forward for anyone making the trip soon.

Glad you did ok.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:54 AM »
We are going to make the trip again to the Waubay area and we are shooting for the end of February. Looking at renting a place this time probably only looking at 4 people this year (so far).  I will be checking out the SD boards and calling Sportsmen's in Webster for reports, but I would be interested in any information especially ice/snow conditions for access as the time gets a little bit closer.  It seems like the Iowa crew was waaaaay more willing to talk about it than others.  Tite lines :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

-Shoney

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:35 PM »
Following….. headed there the last week of February. I get up to South Dakota for work about once a month so I’m hoping to get a chance to fish a couple afternoons before hand. We are planning to do a tag along trip with a guide the first day then either use some of what we learn from that or just fish the lake we are staying on. I’m a perch fanatic so I’m really excited to get up there.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Anyone know if reetz lake is open for ice? Its a nice trophy lake

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2022, 11:17 AM »
Reetz Lake is open May 1st to Sept 30th.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2023, 09:56 AM »
Me and a couple buddy's are headed to NE SD next weekend. Anyone had any luck up that direction?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:05 AM »
We are going to make the trip again to the Waubay area and we are shooting for the end of February. Looking at renting a place this time probably only looking at 4 people this year (so far).  I will be checking out the SD boards and calling Sportsmen's in Webster for reports, but I would be interested in any information especially ice/snow conditions for access as the time gets a little bit closer.  It seems like the Iowa crew was waaaaay more willing to talk about it than others.  Tite lines :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

-Shoney

Imagine that people are much more willing to hotspot out of state lakes  ::)

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:53 AM »
I don't think it can be considered hotspotting on this forum anymore. Facebook yes, but not here, not anymore.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:47 PM »
Ended up fishing south Waubay with some luck this last weekend. It wasn't lights out by any means but still a fun trip. Interestingly all the fish that were kept were females and most all of them had blood worm looking invertebrates in their stomach. Not one had minnows.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:01 PM »
Good Info Big Al. What about lake access? Is deep snow a problem for moving around on the lakes? Its still a few weeks away but im staring to get excited to go... any help is appreciated.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2023, 12:40 PM »
Leaving for Waubay in less than a week. I have made the normal  calls to Sportsmans Cove and have been looking at the weather.  My main concern at this point is lake access since it sounds like they got a couple more inches of snow yesterday. Im just checking for anyone who has recently made the trip.  I will post our information when I get back. Thanks all!!!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2023, 08:37 PM »
It was tough going outside of the trails with trucks when we were there unfortunately that's about all I can tell you. Good luck.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2023, 09:46 AM »
FYI.... Did not make the trip due to the snow that was forecast for the area.  The cabin owner refunded us and we will try again next year. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Selfish Shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2023, 07:54 PM »
That sucks! I hate to see a trip get canceled over weather.  But sometimes a guy just doesn't have the gear to deal with the conditions.  That's why I've got my eyes looking for something with a track, or tracks. Snow! You will be tamed! Leaving for the Boji area in a few hours, Blizzard Warning be damned!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.