New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115934 times)

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #210 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:13 PM »
State launch good?

I was there this morning.   Ice is not as good as I hoped it would be.   Out at the weedline I drilled through 2" of crust, into 2" of slush then about 4" of ice that only consisted of about 1 1/2" of clear ice.    Out past the weedline that crust disappears on the surface and it is 4" of slush under the light coating of snow with about the same ice under that as it is shallower.    For what it's worth, the bite matched the ice conditions   lol
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline forkhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #211 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Has anyone been out in the deeper water for perch

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:18 PM »
There is supposed to be some eyes in silver. Has anyone ever targeted them or got em as bycatch?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:27 AM »
There is supposed to be some eyes in silver. Has anyone ever targeted them or got em as bycatch?
Silver has some nice size walleyes as you can see from the ones caught in the spring and summer, but it is not noted to be an active walleye lake in the Winter and most fishermen don't fish for them.  I have caught a few early in the morning and late in the afternoon over the years, but you have to be constantly on the move from hole to hole and know the lake bottom to catch that one or two fish for the day.  Your better off targeting pan fish in this lake during the Winter.  Pike were plentiful for many years but they have decreased in numbers.

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Silver has some nice size walleyes as you can see from the ones caught in the spring and summer, but it is not noted to be an active walleye lake in the Winter and most fishermen don't fish for them.  I have caught a few early in the morning and late in the afternoon over the years, but you have to be constantly on the
move from hole to hole and know the lake bottom to catch that one or two fish for the day.  Your better off targeting pan fish in this lake during the Winter.  Pike were plentiful for many years but they have decreased in numbers.

I appreciate the reply. So it's about like Conesus lake. The walleye in there are huge

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I appreciate the reply. So it's about like Conesus lake. The walleye in there are huge

Yep just like Conesus-don't bother targeting them.....

Offline Greg Corral

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #216 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Is anyone ice fishing Silver Lake yet? Any reports on ice thickness? Thank you

Offline b ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Jan 05, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Anybody know how the weeds are and hope the water Clarity is better this year than last year

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:37 PM »
water has been clear need to look to find good weedbeds.

Offline Grapeman4619

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:06 PM »
I have never fish Silver lake and would like too but I am not formillar with access points  or any local bait shops around the lake. Any info would be great thanks thanks for he help.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline lakeriefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:58 PM »
How is the ice and the fishing

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:29 AM »
I have never fish Silver lake and would like too but I am not formillar with access points  or any local bait shops around the lake. Any info would be great thanks thanks for he help.
Tight lines everyone!
There is a state launch on the Southwest corner that is plowed regularly.  Can catch perch, gills, a few crappies and pike with the right bait.  On the Southeast corner there is a access point that has a restaurant called Mack's.

Offline kilam1037

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I'm new to this site, was wondering how many parents take their kids 12 and under. Looking for tips on keeping them interested.

Offline GANGGREEN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I'm new to this site, was wondering how many parents take their kids 12 and under. Looking for tips on keeping them interested.

My kids are no longer terribly interested in hunting and fishing, but when they were young, they actually did enjoy going ice fishing.  I'd just encourage you to let them play and don't force them to fish.  If they're sliding on the ice, building forts or snowmen, sneaking up on deer, whatever, allow it.  As long as they're out there with you, they will show interest when you hook and land a fish and on the good days I never had trouble keeping them interested in the fishing. 

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I loved the excitement of chasing tip up flags when my dad would take me out as a kid. Still do.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Snacks and hot chocolate are a key way to keep them going.  I think if I drilled 2 holes for each of them and gave them a scoop strapped to their wrists they would clean the slush from one hole to the other all day long.

They also like fishing with something heavy that they can reel up and down when the want to get into it a bit. 
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:53 PM »
My 12 and 8 year old daughters love ice fishing...make it an adventure...lots of snacks and keep em warm! Tent and heater a must..I bring the pop up when they come..I have them use light rods with swedish pimples with a single hook tipped with a minnow head or waxie/Mousie...heavy enuogh for them to feel bottom.  Last year they each got floating suits..safety first

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Went to Silver Lake this morning.  They got about a foot of snow.  There are brownish looking areas in the snow all over the lake which are wet spots and slush.  Where I test walked it seems like a full layer of slush.  Stopped at the North end, Perry Town Park, Wyoming County access on the East Side - mid lake, Mack's and the state launch.  All have slush over the existing ice.  I have done the horrible slush walk and drag before but not today and went back home.  PS the Wyoming County access must not be county land anymore, there are 3 real estate sold sign at the road.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #228 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Went to Silver Lake this morning.  They got about a foot of snow.  There are brownish looking areas in the snow all over the lake which are wet spots and slush.  Where I test walked it seems like a full layer of slush.  Stopped at the North end, Perry Town Park, Wyoming County access on the East Side - mid lake, Mack's and the state launch.  All have slush over the existing ice.  I have done the horrible slush walk and drag before but not today and went back home.  PS the Wyoming County access must not be county land anymore, there are 3 real estate sold sign at the road.
I don't think it was ever county land, but private land with access noted by the Wyoming County Wildlife Federation.  I saw those signs last week too.  That access was not for the meek.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:23 PM »
I don't think it was ever county land, but private land with access noted by the Wyoming County Wildlife Federation.  I saw those signs last week too.  That access was not for the meek.
I know, it was a nasty drag coming off, all up hill and with a lot of snow it was brutal, but the deep water perch were worth it.  Will come in from Traber Rd on the West side and cross the lake if the ice ever gets good and there is little snow.   A lot to hope for.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Will be going to Silver early this Sat. and do the around the lake check and then pick the best deep water sport for some perch.   Anyone have a present report on ice conditions other then the South end.  I was there last Sat. but there was a lot of slush.

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:58 PM »
On Monday there was 8-9 inches of ice (6 clear) over deep water in north end.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:44 PM »
On Monday there was 8-9 inches of ice (6 clear) over deep water in north end.
Fishin'Blues, Thanks for the report, must be the slush froze.  It's a go for me deep water this Sat.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Made it to Silver Sat. as I said I would.  There were guys out at South End, North End, Traber Rd, Perry Town Park, the Golf Club and the East side off the old County access, basicly all over the lake.  The two deep water areas I fished today had 16" of ice measured not guessed.  Shore ice at both areas was wet with a little slush for 25 to 30 yds. but safe.   No machines on the lake but could well support them.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Can't believe with as many guys that were out Saturday and today there was only one post on the Silver lake reports and conditions thread and none on this thread.  Why no reports?

Offline Silverlakeslammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:00 PM »
just wondering. perch chacer, were you the gentleman that stopped and talked to me and my buddy on your way off the lake Sunday.

Offline Mytjason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #236 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:05 PM »
My family has a cottage there we have fished many times and have never had much luck off traber or the south end looking for pike any suggestions please

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:15 AM »
My family has a cottage there we have fished many times and have never had much luck off traber or the south end looking for pike any suggestions please
The pike quantities have dropped off consideriby in the last few years.  The ones that can be caught can be taken all along the East shore.  Straight across the lake from Traber Rd is a good spot.  I have caught pike in that area on flags set-up 100-200 ft off shore.  The Northwest corner and the South end off Mack's and the state launch are also pike areas.  Good luck.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
just wondering. perch chacer, were you the gentleman that stopped and talked to me and my buddy on your way off the lake Sunday.
Could have been, I was with another person and I stopped and talked to two guys that had stopped to fish an existing hole.  I asked how they did and told them what I had caught.  That was around 5:30 pm. 

We need snow on the shore now to protect the shore ice.  Bare ground gets warm from the sun and  warms the shore water which melts the shore ice. 

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:41 PM »
stopped at state launch at 1 pm on way home today
little water on ice and looked super slick
ice appeard fine although i didnt check it
there were 6 guys headed out for afternoon
temp was dropped by then and no rain just light snow at that point

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com