Author Topic: where's the perch in the north???  (Read 3672 times)

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
where's the perch in the north???
« on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I would like to start hitting jumbo perch a little more these days. Our group consists of guys who own Cabins up around Candle and Whiteswan and we're constantly going for Walleye and Lake Trout but we would like to catch something else every once in a while. Does anyone know of lakes up around the Narrow Hills or Steepbank with perch? How about Limestone or Deschambault areas? I know everything attached to the Churchill system has them but they're hard to target in a river system and we can never catch a lot when we ride into Oskikibuk. If you hop across the border into Manitoba all the lakes up north have Tons of big perch but for some reason they stop at the border
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: where's the perch in the north???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Zeden and Mitten in NHPP have an abundance of perch but all small. Fun for kids but nothing to make a meal of. Nothing around steepbank
That I know of. Don’t hear much talk of perch in the area. Remember seeing an old bathymetric of Uchuk lake that maybe said perch in it.some say candle Has them but in my 30 years there I haven’t seen any
Splaker

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:38 PM »
There are perch in candle but apparently a subspecies called log perch.  Don't get to edible size but I've seen them around docks.  The odd perch out of desch and nipikemew but as far as consistent and quality there isn't much if anything in the north and what there is will not be info shared on the www.  Good luck in your search.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:50 PM »
nothing in the n for big perch  have seen small ones as listed above  they never survive with the pike and walleye im guessing

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:59 PM »
There are a bit larger perch in McBride Lake just South of the town of Hudson Bay, if your willing to drive that far for for them.
It's over 3 hour drive from PA.

Never tried for them myself, but, I have heard there are decent perch in Tobin Lake as well.

WW

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Tobin does have big perch in it, but it is hard to get a consistent bite.  I’m willing to bet you’ll catch more Walleye and Pike than you will Perch out there in a day. We used to see decent size schools of Perch in the bays where highway 35 ends past the bible camp. I believe there is an outfitter up that way now. Maybe they could help point you in a direction if you end up staying out there.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:24 PM »
I don't know about winter fishing, but we got into some very nice and aggressive perch fishing the south arm of
Deschambault last June. They kept smacking the Rapalas I was trolling while looking for walleye. We finally decided to make a morning of perch fishing and caught a nice mess of jumbos.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Maybe i'll put some hours into Nipakemew this winter and see what happens. Its usually a pretty slow lake but it doesn't see hardly any pressure and I like a good adventure. Does anyone know if the stream/river on the north end is inflow or outflow??
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline slippery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:29 PM »
If you want Jumbo's you pretty much have to go south.  Barker lake has some nice ones. Take the trail across from the Misinippi turn in.  Careful sledding on the Churchill

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2019, 09:30 PM »
There are perch in candle but apparently a subspecies called log perch.  Don't get to edible size but I've seen them around docks.  The odd perch out of desch and nipikemew but as far as consistent and quality there isn't much if anything in the north and what there is will not be info shared on the www.  Good luck in your search.

I wonder if that's the same species in Whelan? I have never heard of anyone catching perch there, but I have seen schools of small ones while snorkeling near the old campground beach and the entrance to Maistre.

Offline slippery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2019, 11:14 PM »
I've been at Candle for 18 years and never seen or heard of anyone catching a perch.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:07 AM »
We used to catch Jumbo's at Garden Island on Deschaumb,

Garden Island is out a few miles from D.L.R.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I might go try fishing here one day
...I will let you know.

You can rent cabins at Deschaumb.

Fish Limestone, Oskikibuck, Willow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.