Author Topic: Driving onto Blackstrap  (Read 9112 times)

Offline SK Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Driving onto Blackstrap
« on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:25 AM »
With all of this snow lately are you still able to get onto Blackstrap?  I typically like to go to the north end in the bay.  Any comments would be appreciated as I wanted to head out this afternoon.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
Re: Driving onto Blackstrap
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:41 AM »
When I was there 2 weeks ago it was really really rough and very deep drifts, since the we've had 2 day's of 50-60 km winds and 6 to 8" of snow. IT AIN'T going to be fun >:(  You best have a good 4X4 with good tires and ground clearance to get over the drifts. Our shack is still out there and we're not sure on how to get it off yet, 2 weeks ago there was a 3 to 4' drift around our shack so alot of shoveling will be required. Might have to hook the RMK 800 up to it to drag it of next weekend as all shacks south of hwy 16 have to be off by the 15th.

I think we're going out there on Sat. to do some fishing and shoveling :-\
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 05:45 AM »
Thats usually where I go too and I dont even drive out on to the ice.  I have a sled ( pull type) that I load stuff on.  I had to help a guy for about 2 hours one day to dig and push his truck out and that was before all this new snow.  If you follow the trails made its not bad.  Some one had been out there with a blade a while back to make a trail out on to the north shore.  The drifts are huge though.!!!!!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:25 AM »
tough drive for medeocre fishing......hanleys just down the road

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I can barely get out of my driveway, I can't imagine driving onto Blackstrap Lake, or any lake for that matter.  I don't think that would be a good idea right now!  Wait a couple of days untill most or some of the snow melts.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Is there ok fishing at the Hanley Res???  Anyone know

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:07 AM »
they were catching there earlier this yr.like in dec. so that s  all i can tell you.its usually a good pond to fish at most of the time.tip ups with smelt or something bigger like herring or the such.some good size pike in the 4-6lb range can be had.good numbers in there from what i recall last yr.lots of strikes last yr.

Offline BIGSHOW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:31 AM »
I stopped out at the north end on Friday on my way home from Regina.  From the road it looked like their was 1-2 feet drifted around my shack.  Not sure how to get it off.  I'll be buying new tires for the 4X4 this week forsure.
Apu did you go out on Saturday, if so how was the driving.

Does anyone know one of the farmers that live's close to there?  There are a lot of shacks out there maybe we could get together and pay someone to plow a road in and around the shacks.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Didn't make it out, have to go out this weekend to remove the shack and hopefully get some fishin in too. Its going to be tough going on the ice but we'll get er off!!!!!

APU

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Anyone else? Is it drivable yet? Thanks, Husser.

Offline Bubba1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:04 PM »
went to the strap today. snow has melted down about 8 to 10 inches.there is a hard crust with lots of water under the snow. my shack was in 8 inches of water. will be going out early a.m to take it off the ice,hopefully this little bit of snow does not blow the trails in. if you have a 4x4 with good tires and keep your speed up you can get around pretty good.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:48 PM »
went to the strap today. snow has melted down about 8 to 10 inches.there is a hard crust with lots of water under the snow. my shack was in 8 inches of water. will be going out early a.m to take it off the ice,hopefully this little bit of snow does not blow the trails in. if you have a 4x4 with good tires and keep your speed up you can get around pretty good.
That doesn't sound very convincing! LOL

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2006, 11:27 AM »
I got stuck on Wed aft with my little 4x4.  Not fun (norht end )  gonna go on Sun with the big ford if anyone needs a hand,  Ill be there!!!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:32 AM »
I was out there Sunday, ITS FREEKIN HORRIBLE!!!!!!

If you have a shack out there and can't pull it with a snowmobiles I'm afraid your in for alot of work. We went out there and joined a caravan of 5 4X4's and yep all five burried within 200yds of the north end. I was told there was farmer "offering" to come out there and pull any shack off for $200. Thanks buddy ???

We have built 2 huge skis that will mount to the bottom of our shack and then we will hook 2 snowmobiles to it and drag it off, hopefully. The skis are 24" wide and 10' long.

I wonder if the C/O's will be givin fines on Thursday, they will make alot of money as there are around 40 shacks that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

APU.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2006, 12:57 PM »
The deadline to remove shacks from Blackstrap has been extended to Sat. March 18th

If you still can't get your shack off call this # 933-6240 (conservation office)

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Why don't the C/O's just use common sence and look at the weather forecast and set the deadline when the temp goes up to +5 or something.  The snow and ice won't even start to melt till at Least Tuesday(21st) at the earliest, according to the weather forecast.

http://www.theweathernetwork.ca/weather/cities/can/pages/CASK0276.htm

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2006, 10:33 PM »
The deadline to remove shacks from Blackstrap has been extended to Sat. March 18th

If you still can't get your shack off call this # 933-6240 (conservation office)

you could not pay me any amount of money to call that number.go ahead and call the TIP line someday and see what happens

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:33 AM »
isnt TIPS sposed to be "anonymous"  ????

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:04 AM »
you could not pay me any amount of money to call that number.go ahead and call the TIP line someday and see what happens

CHICKEN!!!! ;)

Offline friendly fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keeping the fish on the line
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2006, 04:54 PM »
hear no evil, see no evil,  report no evil
this is exactly why our fishing resources are being diminished cause of people like you who fail to report wrongful tactics of your fellow man I say if you see someone break the law report him dont look the other way

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Hey I did not mean it like that.  I do and HAVE reported people before.  I am an alround outdoors person and abide by the law and expect others to do the same.  What I dont agree with is years like this if ppl are getting tickets and fines due to the antics of mother nature and we have no controll over it. I apolozize for anyone who took my comment the wrong way.  ( my career is partially in law enforcement therefore I have to!!!)   I have NEVER looked the other way!!!!!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Hey I did not mean it like that.  I do and HAVE reported people before.  I am an alround outdoors person and abide by the law and expect others to do the same.  What I dont agree with is years like this if ppl are getting tickets and fines due to the antics of mother nature and we have no controll over it. I apolozize for anyone who took my comment the wrong way.  ( my career is partially in law enforcement therefore I have to!!!)   I have NEVER looked the other way!!!!!
This is exactly why i dont phone the number anymore.I have lost some,but not all respect for some but not all COs.In my 30yrs of hunting and fishing Ive wittnessed some COs that should not even be out there never mind the hunter.Ive telephoned and went to the offices to get info on weather or not one thing or another was illegal and half the time can not even get the correct answers.
In one instance i was drawn in a zone for deer yrs ago.we asked if a certain river was the divider of the zone and the officer gave us the wrong answer.we later got charged for the offense and of coarse all the CO had to say was i dont remember you asking!!what a crock.
and im not the only one.Ive heard many a story about fellows calling the tip line and later THEY got investigated ....for nothing.Because ive been hunting and fishing for so long ive wittnessed the changes.Yrs ago a person would get a warning about a very small infraction that you may have forgot about like parking your vehicle off the designated trail so that others could get by...now they bust your ass.I know a fellow that it happened to so im  not making this up.Keep in mind that when you are stopped infraction or not,they are gathering information about you weather you like it or not.As far as conservation goes well just look at what SERM did to our antelope herd??Its still in termoil.Yup they are really doing a good job.I guess by now you could call me a critic of SERM as ive had my share of bad episodes with some but not all of them.Anyone else have a bad bout with SERM.Dont worry this site is anonymous.im not afraid to speak my mind because its called free speach!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:23 PM »
Oh and here is another one that the COs pulled off one day to a friend of ours.Our friends found a very large set of deer antlers while in the field a few yrs back.Well they threw the antlers into the back of the truck and on the way out of the pasture they were hunting..a CO pulled them over and took the antlers away and said that they were property of the crown.Now i was sure that a person could go in and apply to have a permit to own a found set of antlers and yes that is the case.well this CO never even gave them a chance.Lets see now....where do you think those antlers are hanging right about now.Just another instance of why ill never call the tip line or go in to any SERM office.I have a couple of other stories if you care to hear them?anyone?

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Sure, im curious.  I dont agree with breaking the law,  however when things are not fair to us,  thats not right.   What about sheds that you collect in your field?  Can you keep them??  Plus,  remember a while back when the metis rights were in effect?  Well I am a metis person and I did not agree with them at all.  I believe that ANYONE who catches a fish or fires a firearm at an animal for hunting purposes should have a licence.  There is way too much abuse of the system in that whole GREY area.  I always have bought my licences and tags and what ever ealse was required of me to hunt and fish.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:44 PM »
as far as in know adipose you only need a permit for removed antlers (sawed off at the base etc) or ones found attached to the skull. sheds are ok i think. we had a write up in our local paper a while ago. as shed hunting is quite popular in out area. if you are selling sheds it might be a different matter i guess. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong though.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:05 PM »
as far as in know adipose you only need a permit for removed antlers (sawed off at the base etc) or ones found attached to the skull. sheds are ok i think. we had a write up in our local paper a while ago. as shed hunting is quite popular in out area. if you are selling sheds it might be a different matter i guess. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong though.
The above story i wrote about above was to do with a set of antlers connected to a skull.what im getting at is that this CO never even gave this fellow a chance to go get a permit.The CO took the set of antlers away from him and who knows where they are to this day.The antlers in mention were a very large set.mmmmmmm   hanging in the COs bedroom????? by the way where do all the confiscated antlers etc. go to??anyone know??

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2006, 07:31 AM »
The last story i read about the antlers attached too the skull.  If that person would of put his tag on it he would of been able too keep it.  I may  be wrong but i think i am right because yes it is still attached to the skull.  Thats what i have been told bey the COs.  Myself i have been too court twice know with the COs.  I have won both times and know they do not like me very much and the rest of the hunting party but who cares.  You know the biggest thing they are all on a power trip.  Some thing to prove and one of these days its not going to go there way.  I have been down too there office because they asked too talk to myself and my dad and they try to be so nice.  They try to fix whats broken telling us that they want to be friends so when we meet and they check our licenses we would be able to talk,  NOT.  All i am thinking get out of here and leave us alone because all they are doing is fishing for info, something to charge u with.  I do not like them at all, plan and simple.  I do not trust them at all.  The one time i was in court there was a kid in there maybe 18yrs old being charged with shooting the wrong type of animal.  He shot a mule deer instead of a whitetail or visa versa.  In the hunting book they put in there if u mistaken and shot the wrong animal tell them so they can go get it and give it to the food bank or who ever. He was first time hunter and first time out hunting got caught up in the moment.  They charged him with it and he had to go to court.  I do not know what happen after.  But it was a mistake everyone does it even the COs but they are not punished.  To them it guilty until proven Innocent.  Hope everything made sense. 

Offline pimpmypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2006, 10:55 AM »
dont know if this is true or not only because ive not wittnessed yet.A fellow that i know that lives near the river at Gronlid tells me of a repeated group of aprox.15 hunters that just so happen to be COs from Regina.Apparently they get drawn every year for elk.How is that possible if the draw is supposed to be a draw and most people have to wait 3 yrs to go from "C" pool up to "B" pool then "A" pool to be drawn in that area called Fort ala Corne.I just checked the hunting book and it tells me that there are only 50 elk tags drawn for that area.I do know that there have been fellows waiting for 20yrs or more to get drawn for elk in that zone.some people never do get drawn.what gives?

Offline pimpmypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:03 AM »
boy oh boy did this thread ever take different path from "driving onto blackstrap"!CO bashing at its finest.poor b**tards.Im glad im not one of them today..or tomorrow

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:34 AM »
dont know if this is true or not only because ive not wittnessed yet.A fellow that i know that lives near the river at Gronlid tells me of a repeated group of aprox.15 hunters that just so happen to be COs from Regina.Apparently they get drawn every year for elk.How is that possible if the draw is supposed to be a draw and most people have to wait 3 yrs to go from "C" pool up to "B" pool then "A" pool to be drawn in that area called Fort ala Corne.I just checked the hunting book and it tells me that there are only 50 elk tags drawn for that area.I do know that there have been fellows waiting for 20yrs or more to get drawn for elk in that zone.some people never do get drawn.what gives?
  Hey I would believe anything when you are in government,  you have all kindsa leeways right!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.