Author Topic: Okuma bait feeder reels  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Roughnek

• IceShanty Rookie
Okuma bait feeder reels
« on: Dec 05, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Okuma micro baitfeeder reels any reviews. The avenger or ceymar 500 or 1000

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okuma bait feeder reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2022, 05:20 PM »
ceymar 500 is fantastic reel for the price. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2022, 05:53 PM »
ceymar 500 is fantastic reel for the price.
X2

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2022, 07:00 PM »
Can't speak on those models, but their Colwaters are an excellent reel. I own several in the conventional and low profiles. Very smooth and durable. Use them on my Walleye trolling rods.They come with line counters as well.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07:45 AM »
I have an Okuma Avenger I believe. It’s the one that In Depth Outdoors we’re promoting for the ifish pros. It’s junk. It always wanted to freeze up and the handle ended up breaking off.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2022, 09:00 AM »
I really like my Avenger for regular uses, with a nice smooth drag, but the baitfeeder feature seems to have too much resistance even at the lightest setting.  The only fish I can get to take off with a bait are stupid stocked trout.  All other fish tend to feel the resistance and let go of the bait before I can get to it.  I wonder if the Ceymar is better for that?  I'd probably buy one if it performs better on the bait feeder.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2022, 09:30 AM »
 The ceymar bf can be dialed right in to where you want it.  One more half a click and your bait would sink.  Get very few drops from walleyes.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2022, 11:38 AM »
The ceymar bf can be dialed right in to where you want it.  One more half a click and your bait would sink.  Get very few drops from walleyes.

Thanks!  I may just grab one, then.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:03 PM »
I would say to grab one!!! They work great year 'round!! I have a Ceymar CBF-500 and I can't say enough good things about it!! :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :bow: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:22 PM »
I have Ceymar BF's and Avenger BF's...never really noticed a difference in performance.  Now I'm curious

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:52 PM »
Don't have any micros, but I have 8 of the older abf avenger models (7 abf 50 and 1 abf 90)  for my carp rods. Built like tanks, I landed close to a thousand carp on them over the past dozen years, including some real big ones. Many big channel cats as well. Only 1 broken reel handle to date.

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Last year I bought two Avenger 1000’s.  I compared to the 500’s.  The decision for me was the side by side comparison.  What I observed was the body’s were almost identical in size, but obviously the 1000 had more line capacity with a larger spool.  Normally body of reels will be different but for whatever reason, they weren’t, thus I opted for the larger spool.  Both have a gear ratio of 5.0:1.  The 1000 weighs 7.1 vs 500 weighs 6.7.  The 1000 holds 140 yards of 4lb vs 85.   For me, more line capacity while everything else seemed almost equal was my factor. I really like the reels. 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2022, 03:07 PM »
I really like my Avenger for regular uses, with a nice smooth drag, but the baitfeeder feature seems to have too much resistance even at the lightest setting.  The only fish I can get to take off with a bait are stupid stocked trout.  All other fish tend to feel the resistance and let go of the bait before I can get to it.  I wonder if the Ceymar is better for that?  I'd probably buy one if it performs better on the bait feeder.

Glad it’s not just me who has that experience. I was starting to think my reel was defective. The bait feeder function is trash
Tight Lines!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2022, 03:16 PM »

Glad it’s not just me who has that experience. I was starting to think my reel was defective. The bait feeder function is trash

They're really more geared towards carp and cat fishing. They're great reels for that.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2022, 03:51 PM »
They're really more geared towards carp and cat fishing. They're great reels for that.

Well, I could see that, but then I don't see why they made a very small model that appears to be geared for panfish.

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Great on a Finicky Fooler on pike lake loaded with snakes.  Pair with an Ugly Stik and let the kids have a blast. 

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:28 PM »
I have five ceymars four 500s and one 1000.

when I am using them I am almost always fishing for walleye the 1000s are to big for walleye rods I feel, the 1000 is nice for a pike rod.

How I have the BF set for my walleye setup, I still have a decent amount of drag to loosen if I wanted too. I don’t fish for on fish so I am not sure if the drag would be loose enough for it or not. I imagine it would be.

Like most reels they don’t love cold weather. I clean out the old grease and oil all new reels I get. It’s a pain but it pays off when you fish up here in our cold Canadian temps.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:00 AM »
As I said I run both Ceymar BF's and Avenger BF's in 500 size.  These are on deadsticks and have no issue with walleye and panfish (mainly perch) getting the BF to engage and not drop baits often.  As has been mentioned, I do take the reels apart and clean/re-lube them annually, as well as upgrade to carbontex washers for drag. 

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:08 PM »
as well as upgrade to carbontex washers for drag.

Where do you get your washers?

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2022, 02:41 PM »
Ebay has many options.  For the Ceymar Baitfeeders I ordered mine straight from TUCR when I bought a rod and a reel.  Bought a couple extra washers for Ceymar's I already had from TUCR, too. 

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2022, 06:21 AM »
Ebay has many options.  For the Ceymar Baitfeeders I ordered mine straight from TUCR when I bought a rod and a reel.  Bought a couple extra washers for Ceymar's I already had from TUCR, too.

Thank you!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2022, 01:43 PM »
I've been running 2 of the avenger 500 for 2 years with no issues. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.