Author Topic: Tackle for Deep Creek  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Mt.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
Tackle for Deep Creek
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Hello All,

I am new to this great forum and plan to try Deep Creek for the first time this year. I am used to fishing smaller lakes for stocked trout and panfish. Mostly places like Blairs Valley for example where one tackle set up will do. My question is what backing and line do you use on DC while fishing for perch that may also work if you are lucky enough to hook up with a walleye? I have always just kept my tip ups and jigging poles rigged with mono. After reading here it seems that most use some sort of backing such as braid and a flourocarbon leader. Am I understanding this right? If so how much backing do you load on your spool and how long a leader?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to get my kids out on Deep Creek to introduce them to a little hardwater fishing this year! Looks like we are getting very close and I may be down next week to check things out.

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: Tackle for Deep Creek
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:45 PM »
As for tackle on DCL iv had the best luck catching eyes on perch on a copper slender spoon if you want to use the same lure for both tipped with shinner head.

I have had the best luck for perch on a Hali. But like to use small jigging raps and flyin rattlin spoons as well.

Offline jeepdude64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Check out yourbobbersdown.com he had a gold jig with a few maggots and it made me a believer.  I usually use jigging raps but last year I fished with someone who only used these very small jigs and he killed the perch.  I usually used a small spinning reel with an ultralight rod and always use.a spring bobber. 

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Been fishing DCL for 25+ years.  Mostly I use a palm rod (YourBobbersDown has a good one for $20). For palm rod & spinning rod I use 3# Pline flutocarbon coated. For difficult days I have one palm rod rigged with 2# fluro. I usually use 3mm tungsten Fiska jigs (#14 hook) but often go as small as 2.5mm. When its windy, I'll sometimes use 4mm tungsten. I use single maggots & tiny plastics. Get most of my stuff from YBD.

I target bluegills, big crappies & jumbos, but have caught & landed decent walleyes on ultralight.

Hope this helps.

Offline Mt.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I will check out YourBobbersDown and hope to be able start trying out some new strategies very soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.