Author Topic: HUB SHELTERS  (Read 825 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
HUB SHELTERS
« on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:15 AM »
I'm getting old and my stuff isn't getting any lighter. I have a two man flipover that's too heavy, also have a 1man flipover that's getting heavy, thinking about getting a small hub. Give me some ya's and nays about hubs, I see alot of them on the ice but have never been inside one to see what they're like. Thinking I could carry it on top of my fish box, then put it up around the box. keeping it and my stuff inside with me. thx.

Offline Klarson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: HUB SHELTERS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:31 AM »
I hear ya on the age and weight thing!

Ya's: lighter weight, more room to stand up in and move around. Packs up fine in the bag it comes in. (If you want to bag it up every time)

Na's: Wind is your worst enemy when setting up, tearing down. Make sure you always have 1 corner staked down first before setting up and tearing down. Also if the bite moved for just a short distance, you can't stay on the fish nearly as quick as a flip over as you have to breakdown, re set, etc.

Hub is a lot more comfortable in my opinion and easier to load and unload from your vehicle.

Both types have there place and time. If you are good just setting up on a spot for awhile the hub has the advantage.

Hole hopping and quick moving, then the flip over has the advantage.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2023, 09:52 AM »
Features to look for in a hub ..insulated ...removable windows...grommets in the skirt ...good ice anchors ...good tie down straps ...full door . For the most part Clam falls short on most of these features Otter and Eskimo shine . Some of the aftermarket brands have some if not all of the above features . I just purchased an Eskimo 650 XD ...the full door is a game changer . Things you will hate if you try and save a buck ...cheap anchors just suck ..non insulated will be chilly and the wind flap is annoying...straps are superior to cord. Also look at the diameter of the hub poles ...some are very thin. Good luck in the search and purchase. A hub is an investment and size does matter .Buy once cry once.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2023, 02:49 PM »
I switched this year for most the same reasons. Bought the Eskimo 250XD which is gonna be plenty for me and the dog. Fits perfect in a Jet Sled XL, along side one of those ABS black plastic golf club carriers I got at a thrift store. I can pick up the carrier and set it one the ice for my gear and the dog gets the tub with heat packs under blankets, which fits thru the door with no lifting.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2023, 04:49 PM »
I use an Eskimo Fatfish 767 which is the model before the current one.  I picked it up on Ebay for $175 since it was an open box demo from a store.  It was complete and I've never had a problem with it.  One downside to hubs is if you are tall then you may have trouble standing up straight in the economy models.   Depending on your budget see if you can find a previous model of a popular brand that meets your needs but isn't a premium price.  Pay attention to the dimensions, especially the height if you are a tall person.

Some of the off brands are not as heavy but that is because they use cheaper/thinner material.  They express the thickness of material in diners and the higher the number the thicker and more durable it is.    Lots of off brands advertise 300 diner fabric.  Eskimo for instance uses 600 diner fabric which makes it much more wind and water resistant but a bit heavier.  Insulated shelters add weight for comfort.  Everything is a tradeoff just have to find what you can live with at a price you can afford. 

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2023, 06:51 PM »
I guess  I could  approach  this  like  lightweight  hikers .... needs and wants and counting ounces/lbs have a spread laid out customize  your outing to target specific  fish and build off of that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.