Author Topic: Keweenaw Bay fishing  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Fishfreak53

• IceShanty Rookie
Keweenaw Bay fishing
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Anyone mind sharing some info on how to fish keweenaw bay? Specifically what depths to target for each species? I've heard great things on lake trout, salmon, whitefish and burbot, but dont have a clue what depths to target. I know lake trout like the deep, but I also read reports that say they are catching them in 20 fow? I'm new to fishing the big water on ice, and would really appreciate any general guidelines for fishing out there before I waste too much time walking around all day.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keweenaw Bay fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:51 PM »
We did very well last Saturday 2/3 mi. out from the lot at the end of Whirl-I-Gig Rd. We were in 245' of water. Jigging rods spooled with 15# test Spiderwire and 1/2 oz. jigs with 1/2 a smelt did the trick.

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:41 AM »
I fish at the head of the bay, out from the parking lot along US-41 between Baraga and L'Anse.  They call it "off from the Willow Tree" because there is a large willow there.  I fish in 38 feet of water and have done so for about 10 years.  I originally started there to target the jumbo perch that were rather plentiful up until the last four years.  They seem to have disappeared and the big catch there is now Splake.  I catch an occasional Coho, Steelhead and Herring, but about 90% Splake now.  Smelt are plentiful also at times  The Splake are 1-5 pounds in size.  Lately, a half of a 4-inch shiner on a jig has been doing the trick.  I have a Marcum underwater camera, so I can watch the fish go by on my monitor all day.  At 38 feet, the clarity is unbelievably clear, so I get a good look at everything from Bourbot to Sturgeon to Whitefish, Herring, Salmon, Steelhead, and every other fish that is in the bay.  On some days, there are fish everywhere and I get my limit quickly. On other days, I don't even see a dozen fish all day.  I think it all depends on the current and what the smelt are doing.  On the days I see hundreds of smelt, are the same days I limit-out pretty quickly.  In my opinion, there are better places to fish on the bay if you are looking for more Salmon and Herring, but I seem to do okay there.  There is a cluster of shacks out there this year, where in the past mine was usually the only one of two or three.   

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:26 AM »
had a friend offer up a chance to sit in his smelt shack last night. First time for my brother and I smelting. Got 2 1/2 gallons of smelt and one burbot..

Offline justthetipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Can anyone provide some advice on where they are catching smelt the best? Is it off of where Disney's bait used to be or are they doing better over by squaw or the willow tree? Might head down tonight but would be traveling from Houghton and would appreciate a little guidance as to where to set up. Thanks in advance
justthetipup

Offline bugcaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Can anyone provide some advice on where they are catching smelt the best? Is it off of where Disney's bait used to be or are they doing better over by squaw or the willow tree? Might head down tonight but would be traveling from Houghton and would appreciate a little guidance as to where to set up. Thanks in advance

I did pretty good out in front of the willow last week, caught quick a few smelt, missed more, and got a couple salmon too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.