The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This weekend  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
This weekend
« on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:39 PM »
This weekend could be the end of it, see what this rain does.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This weekend
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I agree I'll go on Sat and then do Easter crap on Sun. and that will probably do it for this year. The weatherman says a cold mon.,tues.and wednesday sooo maybe the fat lady hasn't sung ??

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Time to get the fly rod back out...

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:38 PM »
bullhead gumbo

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:03 PM »
I'll probably do a last run this weekend regardless. It's supposed to be a full moon on Saturday which is typically for subpar fishing. It's always nice to get out on the ice & drill some holes.

Be safe everyone. We need the peanut gallery to be in full force for next year, myself included.  :)

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2018, 05:48 AM »
I'll probably do a last run this weekend regardless. It's supposed to be a full moon on Saturday which is typically for subpar fishing. It's always nice to get out on the ice & drill some holes.

Be safe everyone. We need the peanut gallery to be in full force for next year, myself included.  :)
Great advice and I echo that.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Time to get the fly rod back out...

There's more and more of us popping up in here😉
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Ice gear stowed for the season for me. Even though some places have 14" + ice in and around the area, the ice is porous and getting weakened by the sun and warmer temps.
I measured ice where I fished last Saturday, and it was 14", went back out Sunday afternoon and measured again and it was 1-1/2" less thick.
Sun beating on it all last weekend thru this week is melting it from beneath, and this week of above freezing nighttime temps and 40-50F daytime temps, rain tonight into tomorrow, edges getting punky again etc...I'm not venturing out...broke thru once this season coming off soft edge, not wanting to repeat.

I plan on mounting by outboard on my rebuilt transom I did last November, mounting my new downrigger/rod holders and hooking up all the electrical that I disconnected for storing over the winter.
If I get time, I'm going to go find a ditch that has some flowage and drown some worms in hopes of a few bullpout.

Good luck & by all means be safe if you're still venturing onto ice now!
Tight lines!!!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:38 AM »
That's it for me.  Today I'm going to test my drysuit for leaks in the bathtub.  Saturday I'll be in the canoe trolling for salmon.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Probably my last weekend out on the ice then I’ll be looking for bullhead they’re already biting in some areas
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Yeah unfortunately my ice gear is packed away....time to break out the fly rod.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I'll give it one or two more days.

Offline RidgeRunner2

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
  • Sherry @ Ridge Runner Bait
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2018, 05:51 PM »
We went out twice this week.  Once to Curtis Pond, once to Bliss Pond, including yesterday.  Around 30 inches of ice with snow on top.  Plenty of good hard ice.  Heard there was 2 feet of ice on Lake Elmore, so Central Vermont looks good still.  Hope to get out Monday and Tuesday.
Sherry Paige
Ridge Runner Bait
177 Vermont Route 12
Putnamville Village
Middlesex VT  05602
802-229-4246
Good Luck Fishing!

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I'm ready for boat season!  30" of ice... :-\ looks like the boat wont be out on the smaller bodies of water for trout opener this year.   ::)
FLAG!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I fished a bay in North Hero today and notice that the ice is going fast from below. We lost a few inches from yesterday to today but the top is holding up well. The shore is starting to get go away and we needed a plank to get on. I'll take a look tomorrow then decide if it is time to clean the ice suit and buckets.

Edit: Saturday morning. I checked out the bay and nobody out. Shore is bad and I came home without even going down to the shore. No way at my age I am going out alone so I am washing the striker suit and putting all the gear away. It was a fun season. I got out 77 days this ice season and now bring on the open water.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04:30 AM »
I fished a bay in North Hero today and notice that the ice is going fast from below. We lost a few inches from yesterday to today but the top is holding up well. The shore is starting to get go away and we needed a plank to get on. I'll take a look tomorrow then decide if it is time to clean the ice suit and buckets.

Edit: Saturday morning. I checked out the bay and nobody out. Shore is bad and I came home without even going down to the shore. No way at my age I am going out alone so I am washing the striker suit and putting all the gear away. It was a fun season. I got out 77 days this ice season and now bring on the open water.
Congratz on the 77 days out on the ice !

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2018, 05:41 AM »
77 is impressive! I got in 34 including 15 overnights in my hardside. I got on 10 different bodies of water! All in all a successful year on the ice!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2018, 04:44 AM »
77 is impressive! I got in 34 including 15 overnights in my hardside. I got on 10 different bodies of water! All in all a successful year on the ice!
NICE!!!! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.