The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing Carp  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
Spearing Carp
« on: Mar 25, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Was reading through the 2018 VT Fishing Guide and Regulations and noticed and was surprised you can't spear or shoot carp.  I assume this is not a misprint....As far as I know most states/waters want to eliminate carp.....  Comments welcome.

Also noticed that bowfin now have a 5 fish limit which is new this year.   Gar & Mullet as well.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spearing Carp
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Never saw the hype of shooting and killing fish for fun. I fish for all of those species. More alive means more to catch.   ;)

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06:49 PM »
just the antis covering more ground. i release everyone i catch, about 2 feet down in my garden.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2018, 05:45 AM »
I don’t personally participate however carp are invasive and need to be regulated somehow. Too bad most people just waste them. What bothers me is the people I know who bow fish who “accidentally” shoot fish that look similar to those you can shoot. Heard some real terrible stories.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2018, 04:04 PM »
You can bowfish for them unless I’m wrong and pike shooting is still allowed
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:26 PM »
just the antis covering more ground. i release everyone i catch, about 2 feet down in my garden.
Seriously?  Does it work well?  Is it nasty?

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:42 AM »
I can’t beleive they let people shoot Pike with guns. To each there own I guess

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:15 AM »
I can’t beleive they let people shoot Pike with guns. To each there own I guess

One of the only states in the country that do! Haven't ever seen anyone fish this way but I've heard they don't actually shoot the fish. Its the concussion in the water near them that sends them to the surface. Either way.... weird

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:54 AM »
The Asian carp are a huge threat. They actually leap into the air when a boat drives by. There have been several people injured and even a death in Minnesota on the Mississippi when the carp have leapt up and hit a high speed boater.

In any case, the following video is "almost" on topic. I found it hilarious.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Funny how one person's trash fish is another's delicacy...in Europe & S. E. Asia a carp is a sought after fish, especially around the Christmas holiday.
I'm not one to seek them out, (too bony for me) but I know several friends from Eastern Europe/Vietnam/Thailand that will go out of their way to obtain a carp locally to consume.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I bet if you took one to a Chinese restaurant they’d probably give you their first born child for one lol if not a free meal
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Even more to the point, China is very polluted and it would be easy to imagine that the carp found there have high mercury, etc. I would guess that the carp caught here would likely be more healthy. Still, I have speared many in Minnesota but never eaten one here although, I did have some in China when my host ordered for me. Was not too bad, but the context seemed to matter.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2018, 04:16 PM »
i'd rather eat dirt

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2018, 02:55 AM »
I've eaten sheephead before. I took my friend's boys fishing and one of them caught a decent one and wanted to try it. Cut the meat in chunks and pan fried it. Wasn't too bad. To be honest it wasn't much different than white perch. As far as carp goes, I would guess it's not much different. If presented the opportunity, I would try it.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:18 PM »
I've eaten sheephead before. I took my friend's boys fishing and one of them caught a decent one and wanted to try it. Cut the meat in chunks and pan fried it. Wasn't too bad. To be honest it wasn't much different than white perch. As far as carp goes, I would guess it's not much different. If presented the opportunity, I would try it.

Sheapshead makes a good chowda
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Sheapshead makes a good chowda
the best chowder lots say but mostly the smaller ones. i have ate it and its very good.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Funny how one person's trash fish is another's delicacy...in Europe & S. E. Asia a carp is a sought after fish, especially around the Christmas holiday.
I'm not one to seek them out, (too bony for me) but I know several friends from Eastern Europe/Vietnam/Thailand that will go out of their way to obtain a carp locally to consume.

As stated about Europe, carp is very popular in Poland which is where my folks are from. However, they are raised in small ponds and eaten when still small and young. This eliminates that "muddy" flavor many believe them to have. If you have a Polish market near you odds are you can buy carp in a can with olive oil, if you choose to. You live once, give it a whirl. 
Just add water.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:38 PM »
shooting carp and stunning pike are two different things. In the 60's and 70's in the st.a area going for northern in the spring was common. usually a 30 30 rifle. shoot near them ..stuns them...grab them  and you've got a good meal.  shooting carp in this area started later and most just leave them to rot...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.