Author Topic: JIffy Gas Auger Trouble  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Salty McFogg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Marine Biologist and Fisherman for life
JIffy Gas Auger Trouble
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:10 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to shed some light on some issues I've had with my Jiffy gas auger (10" model) I've had for about ten years now. I considered going electric but they're so damn expensive and I'm sure a little love will get this baby running good! I'm not very good at upkeeping things so I'm sure that has a huge hand in it as well as very little use in the last few years. Normally after the winter I drain all the gas from it, run it dry and hang it up. I've put new gas in it last year with the correct 2 cycle oil mix and I still seem to have this issue:

-After a few primes,. I can get it to run for a little, and idle for a few seconds, but it tends to shut off if I leave it running.

-If on the other hand, I start it up and get right to drilling, it will finish the hole and then cut out right after letting off the throttle. I can do this for every hole but it's obviously a pain in the ass and I don't think it's good for the motor.

So as a background I follow the steps on the unit , so I don't usually do anything in the wrong order. I have pictures so you can see what model it is, cause I don't know. I'm looking for anybody who does normal maintenance on this auger and can offer a few tips for other things I can do to get it running better. Anything is appreciated so thank you guys so much in advanced!

Tight lines and Happy Hardwater fishing everybody!

Salty McFogg

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: JIffy Gas Auger Trouble
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:26 PM »
If you haven't done maintenance in 10 years, probably need to start with cleaning the carb at the very minimum. I dont know what model that is just by looking at it (someone here probably does) but it should be on one of the stickers with the serial number. Once you know the model you can do a search on youtube and there's probably a few videos showing how to do it.

Or, depending on how valuable your time is, you may be better served finding a small engine repair shop nearby and having them clean the carb and tune it up. They will likely have the needed parts on hand, whereas you may get it torn apart and find out you need a part that you need to order and wait for, leaving you out of commission for a while.

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I would agree with GBguy in that the carb is probably nasty.  If it is 10 years old, it may need more than a simple cleaning.  Gaskets, o-rings and such.  Not a big deal, just something that needs to be dealt with with gas motors.  In the meantime, you could try running the motor on partial choke.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:58 PM »
Same issue with mine. But I can't finish the hole before it shuts off. Sometimes it will. I started to run trufuel in it and it seems better. Mine is the model 30. U tube has a video on changing the needle and seat, also the diaphragm.  Guy is funny he said all the old oil sits in the diaphragm and blocks it up not letting it run.  Look up taryl  fixes all, jiffy augar won't start on u tube.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:30 AM »
SeaFoam..

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:13 AM »
My jiffy was 25 years old. had carb issues just like you.. repair shop told me I needed to rebuild the carb and they were having a hard time finding parts for the older models..
I went electric and will NEVER turn back to gas

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:53 AM »
Scroll down to the equipment forum. go to the auger sub forum. Go to the search box type in Jiffy auger.Tons of information.Probably find your answer. Not that the folks that have replied did't give you what you needed.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:57 AM »
If you had gas other than Co-op Premium, Esso Premium you got Ethanol in your gas.

Your carb is likely gummed/varnished.

Buy a rebuild kit.

Or it could be just diaprahmn.

Use a commercial premix.

Or use a premium non ethanol Gas with good 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines.

Check your high low settings on carb.

Low speed screw(one on left) bottom out gently then back of 1/4 turn.

High speed  screw(one on right) bottom out gently then back out 1 1/4 turn.

Start auger and let warm up, adjust the low so the auger just about stalls, then tweak idle screw on throttle....so auger accelerates and doesn't stall when returned to idle...and should start with 1 pull.

The high speed is trickier because it needs to be ran under load.

And keep in mind....just like a chainsaw.  A 2 stroke adjusted at 1 below zero won't run as well in minus 20 without adjusting.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Based on your model number I came across this ..If your handy this may be an EZPZ fix all.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Tecumseh-TV085XA-Vertical-Replaces/dp/B07DPSG35H
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:44 AM »
I just did some work to my Model 30 in November, which would start with several pulls and primes last year and would bog down under load when drilling and often idle out and die when moving from hole to next spot to drill.

Here is what I did:

I removed the recoil and flywheel, where I then replaced the burned out contact points (all of them) and condenser and spark plug boot, as I believe they were still the original ones. I re-assembled this as tested for spark, which was good.

I then removed and cleaned out the gas tank and disassembled and rebuilt the carb.  I assembled the carb and gas tank back together with new fuel line and a new gas cap.

I also got a new softer prime bulb and a red throttle linkage cap/grip since mine was missing.

This project cost me about $104 and maybe 4 hours of my time.

My Model 30 is startable with 3 primes and 1 pull and I cannot wait to rip some hole with it this year.
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:57 AM »
I suggest getting a new diaphragm for the carb, they go bad over the years and I find that a new one of them and a carb clean is usually the solution. The diaphragm is fairly cheap.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Salty McFogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Holy smokes you guys are awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for! For a lot of the technical things like removing flywheels and rebuilding the carb, and cleaning it, I don't know if I could take it apart and be able to clean it and then put it back together correctly. I might try replacing the entire carb alltogether since it seems to be somewhere around 20$ if I can match it with the right part. Taking the carb out and replacing would be a lot simpler for me than the other options. I will also have to try and run it with non ethanol gas (which I've been using ethanol gas unfortunately) to help run it more cleanly as well. I would like to keep this fix under 100$ because I feel anything over than I may as well get a new auger. Thanks for the help guys! I will take a look at some of the videos and see how complicated this is.
Salty McFogg

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Check that video out from taryl fixes all on u tube. Laugh my ass off! Im nuying the diaphram  and seat from amazon  around $10. For the truefuel homedepot sells it, i get the gallon can. Good luck let us know how u make out??  :tipup:

Offline Salty McFogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2020, 02:45 PM »
Check that video out from taryl fixes all on u tube. Laugh my ass off! Im nuying the diaphram  and seat from amazon  around $10. For the truefuel homedepot sells it, i get the gallon can. Good luck let us know how u make out??  :tipup:
Holy crap that was funny!! Thanks that seems simple enough I think I'll give that a shot! Might even make a video out of it if it works!
Salty McFogg

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:22 PM »
Good luck bud!  Definitely look into the price on an entirely new carb versus just a rebuild kit.  I replaced the carb on my 2007 Jiffy white lightning two years ago. It was only a little more expensive, but still only cost about $20.  Its run great since then.

BUT... If you ever do decide to upgrade to battery powered, I'd highly recommend the Strikemaster 40v. Just throwing that out there!

Offline Redkorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:39 PM »
I'm coming into this thread late, but I have a Jiffy, with hardly any use on it, that ran terrible.  I dumped all old gas from tank, cleaned carb and fuel lines out with carb cleaner, installed a brand new spark plug and mixed a new gallon of gas, but used "premium" as opposed to cheapest unleaded. I did not replace carb, but I lightly coated the back side of carb/gasket (where it attaches to the engine cylinder) with grease. I'm not 100% sure it wasn't sucking air from behind the carb.  Whatever I did, it runs 100% better than it ever has, including when it was brand new.

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2020, 12:44 PM »
I agree with Hardwater Diehard.  Run the seafoam and it should clear it up.  If not, then you can move on to rebuilding the carb.  Seafoam always works for me.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Don't forget only use good quality super 93 octane fuel.Ive seen carb bodies eaten up from the ethanol and other additional crap they throw in cheap fuel.I just sold my 25yr old jiffy 30 (total regret) and I think I  changed the sparkplug 2-3 tmes and it never let me down and my buddy still uses to this day.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:38 PM »
If you get it running the way you want it to I would suggest using the premixed fuel you buy in the store.  It is mixed in various ratios and uses premium gas.  It is expensive but worth it.  A friend of mine had a strikemaster that ran terrible from the day he bought it.  I dumped his gas out and put in the premixed stuff and Seafoam I had and within 5 minutes it was running like it should.  He has not had any issues with it since.

Offline Muskytracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:34 AM »
I have an older Jiffy Legend 77 and was having the same issue. I took apart the carb and it was gunked up. I ordered a whole new carb off amazon for $15. All you need is a screw driver and open end wrench to replace it. There’s a bunch of how-to videos on YouTube for how to replace them. Mine runs great now after tweaking the L screw. Good luck.

Offline AcesandEights

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:55 AM »
Before you throw parts at it make sure you dont have a dry rotted or cracked fuel line that causing it to suck air...

Offline Salty McFogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to provide closing here. I took all of your advice and used the video, as well as premix fuel, and changing the hi/lo speed screws and I got the Auger working just fine last month. If any of you are interested, feel free to take a look at the video I made as a result. I'll be making an actual fishing video shortly after but I wanted to thank everybody for the help. Happy to have it running like brand new again! The big issue was the fuel and the hi/lo screws in my opinion. Once I got that set right it was a one pull start as you'll see at the end. Been a depressing whatever you may call it this year, I think I can count the days below freezing on my fingers here in Long Island but getting up north was nice to be on the Hardwater.

We're all pros at social distancing so nothing to worry about here ;D
Thanks everybody,
Salty
Salty McFogg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:01 PM »
Back in business great to hear!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.