Author Topic: Marcum LX-6 discontinued?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Marcum LX-6 discontinued?
« on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Why did Marcum quit making the LX6? Some people prefer it over the LX7 due to the smaller footprint. Now if you want a digital Marcum, the cheapest option is a $600 LX7. Their new MX series is overpriced IMO. While the mapping feature is nice, it is essentially just a sonar unit with GPS. A helix can be had for much cheaper, and the lake master maps are better than the navionics maps that the Marcum uses (IMO). The Helix can also be used on open water and has many greater features as well. I see Marcum upped their warranty to two years to compete with the birds. I’m pretty sure they were only a one year warranty before.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum LX-6 discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2020, 09:14 AM »
I seen the new mx7. That screen in smaller than the lx6

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Why did Marcum quit making the LX6? Some people prefer it over the LX7 due to the smaller footprint. Now if you want a digital Marcum, the cheapest option is a $600 LX7. Their new MX series is overpriced IMO. While the mapping feature is nice, it is essentially just a sonar unit with GPS. A helix can be had for much cheaper, and the lake master maps are better than the navionics maps that the Marcum uses (IMO). The Helix can also be used on open water and has many greater features as well. I see Marcum upped their warranty to two years to compete with the birds. I’m pretty sure they were only a one year warranty before.
  I haven't looked into it, but how much cheaper is a Helix unit?    I feel like Marcum is trying to compete with summer units but I don't see how they can compete yet....maybe in a few years it will be different.  There's a reason Vexilar has remained an ice sonar unit.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:40 AM »
You can get a helix 7 with mega DI and SI for 6-700 dollars. Why would someone buy a Marcum and pay that much for a unit with so much less capability? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I will admit, I am a Marcum fan. I have an LX-6s that I paid 429 for brand new. I use my Helix 9 that’s on my boat, mount it to a genz pack, and I have my mapping on that. And it has all of my waypoints on it from open water.  I can use side imaging and drop waypoints along drop offs and weed lines, gravel transitions you name it. And I don’t have to be right over it to mark it, I can mark it off to the side right where it lays. Then take that out on the ice and have all that structure marked. These Marcum MX units are so far behind Humminbird, it’s not even funny. I just don’t get why someone would pay that for an Ice only unit.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:23 PM »
I too own a LX-6s and now use it only as a backup or quick hole hopper unit.  When you put a lithium battery in it, hole hopping is alot of fun and it's still a good unit for an inexperienced fisherman to use because of it's ability to switch the screen to different formats....

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I pull out my 6 when I'm chasing lakers...love the graph screen.  Pans and trout I still use the 5. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.