Author Topic: Trip recommendations?  (Read 820 times)

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trip recommendations?
« on: Dec 03, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Last year was the first time my son and I tried ice fishing. We live in SE Pa, but did a couple guided trips in Mass and had a blast. I would like to find a place in the North East where we could rent a shanty and stay on a lake for a few days, wondering if anybody has any recomendations?

Canada's out due to Covid restrictions, but I'm thinking maybe Maine? Thanks!

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trip recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Close to your location and fish NH often, why not just go back up to Mass? Get a hotel and go out and put into play what you learned with the guide. Doesn't have to be the same lakes, plenty around. Guess only thing would be if you don't have your own gear. NE Pa has a lot of opportunities as well as western NJ. Let us know how you make out. Important thing is getting the kids out!

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:46 PM »
We got all the gear we need, I just thought it would be fun to camp overnight on the ice and spend a few solid days fishing. We did a lot of fishing up in the poconos last year, can't wait to get at it again!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Northern Lake Champlain VT offers a variety of options. Holiday Harbor (Grand Isle) offers shanty rentals right on the water, bait, lodging full service.
North Hero House offers guided package with lodging. There is also a gent whom rents sleeper shanties, fuel, bait etc. Post on VT page and dudes will set you up.
I stayed at Holiday Harbor couple winters ago in frigid temperatures 0-15 below all weekend with constant wind and shanties were great, heated no issues.
Fishing was good even with difficult weather conditions.     

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Northern Lake Champlain VT offers a variety of options. Holiday Harbor (Grand Isle) offers shanty rentals right on the water, bait, lodging full service.
North Hero House offers guided package with lodging. There is also a gent whom rents sleeper shanties, fuel, bait etc. Post on VT page and dudes will set you up.
I stayed at Holiday Harbor couple winters ago in frigid temperatures 0-15 below all weekend with constant wind and shanties were great, heated no issues.

Looks like a great recommendation!!!

Thanks

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2020, 05:51 AM »
I live in Maine and could make a recommendation for areas and maybe a guide, but am wondering what type of fish you would be looking for?

Cold water vs warm water?  Brookies, Lakers, salmon, bass, pike?

If you are looking for an event - the Moosehead Derby is a pretty amazing from the size of the lake, participants (not sure how they’ll wrap it up with COVID), the fishing opportunities and general history the lake offers.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2020, 06:42 AM »

What species were you targeting?  That sounds like a great trip.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.