Author Topic: Strike Master 24v vs 40v... 6" vs 8"  (Read 7082 times)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
Strike Master 24v vs 40v... 6" vs 8"
« on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:20 PM »
Hi all...

Trying to decide about a Strike Master...
As the "Subject" says "24 v vs 40v", but to add to that 6" vs 8",  24v vs 40v or 6" vs 8", 24v vs 40v.
I am trying to decide if adding a plate to my Dewalt 20v and getting a Strike Master auger or stepping up to the Strike Master electric auger.

Any input would be a "GREAT HELP"!

Thanks all!

Offline ajg0303

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Strike Master 24v vs 40v... 6" vs 8"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:46 PM »
I’ve been running a Milwaukee with a K-Drill the last few years. I just bought an 8inch 24V and can’t wait to get it on the ice.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Easy answer is ..Price ...40v more ..number of holes 40v drills more ..species you fish for..8 in for larger fish.

Well  if you have one of the DeWalt 991,996,998,999 w/5ah batteries ..then a Clam Plate $80 ..then add one of the various drill options $100-$250 ish . Some option bolt right to the plate ..some options need an adapter ..some options need an extension ..or some combo of both.

Here is a lil rundown on the drills you may want to consider..using a 5ah battery or better

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2704-20

Milwaukee 2804-20

Ridgid R86116

In general the drill need to be

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

Then its about the auger drill unit

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer style blades ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Good read ..some folks have been modifying the StrikeMaster Mora Hand augers with a tip using a tap ..so even more money can be saved

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378717.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Think of the 24v as the ultimate hole hopper auger. Very lightweight and weighs the same as a drill/hand auger combo. The 6" version can drill 100 holes on a single charge battery with 16" of ice. The 8" can drill 50 holes. If you ever need  an extra battery it is cheaper than a hand drill battery.

Get the 40v if you will be drilling holes for your friends, thicker ice, and not moving around much. It weighs the same as their gas augers and the drill unit is made of metal.

I will be getting the 24v as our ice in MA doesn't get really thick and if it ever does I can always stick the Lite Flite auger unit into my Strikemaster powerhead gas auger for more power/torque. Good reason to not get rid of my gas auger as it is more reliable in extreme cold conditions and when I have to drill through 3 foot of ice for my up North trips.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Thanks to all...
A lot of food for thought:
"hardwater diehard" huge amount of great info! Thank you.
"ajg0303" I am now also thinking 24v, 8 inch! Thank you.
"fishingeek" As I posted just above, 24v, 8". Our ice here in N.W. Montana is not usually over 12 inches, one year I saw 20 inches but rare. And I won't be drillin for anyone but me. Thank you also.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Had my 40v since it came out. Love it. It's an 8 inch which I prefer because I fish for panfish and use tipups for pike at the same time. The auger drills all the holes whether I'm solo or with buddies. I could probably get by with the 24 but I drill a lot and move alot. I pull by hand a 2 person shanty until ice is thick enough. Whichever you chose will be a good investment

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Thanks to all...
A lot of food for thought:
"hardwater diehard" huge amount of great info! Thank you.
"ajg0303" I am now also thinking 24v, 8 inch! Thank you.
"fishingeek" As I posted just above, 24v, 8". Our ice here in N.W. Montana is not usually over 12 inches, one year I saw 20 inches but rare. And I won't be drillin for anyone but me. Thank you also.

On the Milwaukee drill the 2803 and 2804 are the newest with1200 in/lbs of torque.thank would be my pick for corless drill ..As for a dedicated auger that 24 volt is hard to beat if you drill 50 holes or less in the 8 in version.

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:54 AM »
Thought long and hard about giving up the M18 with Clam plate and 7.5" Kdrill for the new 24V Strikemaster 8". When I got into electric this was the hot setup to have, a real game changer.

I went out and weighed the set up, seems to be near the same weight as the new 24v. Seems like just not enough difference to warrant the change, but if I was starting over now that would be my choice.

I never considered the 40v as it still has the metal flights and I'm done with those. They chaff in your sled and can even mess up your canvas and scratch other equipment. Carrying plastic over your shoulder if you have long walks into a spot is much more comfortable as well.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:14 AM »
I went out and weighed the set up, seems to be near the same weight as the new 24v. Seems like just not enough difference to warrant the change, but if I was starting over now that would be my choice.

I'm halfway thinking that sometimes, but then realize SM isn't going to offer weed whips, charger/radios and circular saws that work with their 24V batteries anytime soon.  I like using the batteries full time; it really helps you know what you're working with as far as capacity.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:31 AM »
I'm halfway thinking that sometimes, but then realize SM isn't going to offer weed whips, charger/radios and circular saws that work with their 24V batteries anytime soon.  I like using the batteries full time; it really helps you know what you're working with as far as capacity.

Don't forget the CHAINSAWS!! Both the DeWalt and the Milwaukee chainsaws are amazing. Very quiet and powerful.

I love mine and can be very "unnoticed" both anybody else while cutting a trail in the woods. Never be possible with my gas Stihl.

With the 12 AH in Fuel in my Milwaukee I can get 4-5 hours sawing. Perfect for clearing small trees and trails.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Petoskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:40 AM »
I have the 24v Strikemaster. Was able to get it for $300 with the Black Friday deals. I've taken it on the ice twice and I love it so far. I went with the 8 inch but honestly kind of wish I went with the 6 inch. Not having an issues with the battery dying too soon on me but I kind of feel like I just don't need the 8 inch.

So far I think I've been able to drill around 35 holes each time I went out on ice that was about 7-8 inches. At the end of both days I still had one bar of battery left. The cold hasn't made the battery stop working just yet but I can definitely tell that it gets a little bit slower when it's been out in the open for a while.

I am probably going to buy a second battery just to keep with me once I see one go on sale for a good price. If you don't absolutely need the 8 inch...I'd go with the 6 inch. You can always drill two or three small holes together and still be able to drill more than the 8 inch. That being said..nothing bad to say about the 24v.
Fern got sick in ‘94 and missed 6 weeks on the hardwater with mono, don’t know what that means but I’ve used braid ever since

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I have the 24v Strikemaster. Was able to get it for $300 with the Black Friday deals. I've taken it on the ice twice and I love it so far. I went with the 8 inch but honestly kind of wish I went with the 6 inch. Not having an issues with the battery dying too soon on me but I kind of feel like I just don't need the 8 inch.

So far I think I've been able to drill around 35 holes each time I went out on ice that was about 7-8 inches. At the end of both days I still had one bar of battery left. The cold hasn't made the battery stop working just yet but I can definitely tell that it gets a little bit slower when it's been out in the open for a while.

I am probably going to buy a second battery just to keep with me once I see one go on sale for a good price. If you don't absolutely need the 8 inch...I'd go with the 6 inch. You can always drill two or three small holes together and still be able to drill more than the 24v. That being said..nothing bad to say about the 24v.

Thanks for the info, I haven't been able to use my 24v yet. I really debated  the 6" vs the 8". I'm mostly fishing panfish, and I do end up drilling a lot of holes some days, so I ended up going with the 6".  My hand auger and gas auger were 7", but before that I fished a lot of years with a 5" hand auger, had a few tight fits on some walleye and pike, but can't remember ever having a fish that wouldn't fit through that hole.

Anyway, after reading your post, I think I made the right call on the 6". I ordered mine a couple weeks ago but got DSG to price match the Cyber Monday 25% off, they refunded me just under $100, I don't think I could have bought into an equivalent drill setup for that.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Again, thanks to all... Your replies have been a great help to me!
Tight lines to ya'll!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2020, 05:09 PM »

Thanks for the info, I haven't been able to use my 24v yet. I really debated  the 6" vs the 8". I'm mostly fishing panfish, and I do end up drilling a lot of holes some days, so I ended up going with the 6".  My hand auger and gas auger were 7", but before that I fished a lot of years with a 5" hand auger, had a few tight fits on some walleye and pike, but can't remember ever having a fish that wouldn't fit through that hole.

Anyway, after reading your post, I think I made the right call on the 6". I ordered mine a couple weeks ago but got DSG to price match the Cyber Monday 25% off, they refunded me just under $100, I don't think I could have bought into an equivalent drill setup for that.

Thank you for the info for dicks pricing match.  Just went in to mine and they refunded $91 on my 24v lithium 8"     so with my dsg cash I ended up with it for $275.  What a steal.   Now just sold my lite-flite i got last year as can set this one up same just need disk for it.   So pumped for ice. 
Just enjoying life

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Thank you for the info for dicks pricing match.  Just went in to mine and they refunded $91 on my 24v lithium 8"     so with my dsg cash I ended up with it for $275.  What a steal.   Now just sold my lite-flite i got last year as can set this one up same just need disk for it.   So pumped for ice.

Awesome, glad it helped you too. Yeah, after that discount and selling my gas auger a couple weeks ago, it's turned out to be a pretty low $$$ upgrade for me.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Awesome, glad it helped you too. Yeah, after that discount and selling my gas auger a couple weeks ago, it's turned out to be a pretty low $$$ upgrade for me.

Now will probably sell the ion n extras.  Then get spare battery, cold snap cover n battery bag
Just enjoying life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.