Author Topic: Ice plastics  (Read 3898 times)

Offline IceFisher402

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice plastics
« on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:47 AM »
What is everyones favorite brand and style of plastic to tip their jig for perch/bluegill/crappie?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Ice plastics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:05 AM »
I like little atom micro nuggies and wedgies.

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Try the beaver tail by Gullickson Bait Company. Lasts long time fish gobble it up like its live bait but lasts as long as plastics if not longer.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Clam / Maki Plastics are my go to when I use plastics.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:54 PM »
I really like a lot of the Berkeley ice plastics, especially the whip worms and the sword tails. The Berkeley Gulp fish fry is good too, but the little jars always seem to leak. This year I ordered a bunch of chigger fry plastics from Panfish Plastics. Good price point and every color you could want.

First ice plastics I ever got were from Maki Plastics before Clam started to distribute them. I love fishing plastics and finding new ones to try. Was planning to pick up some Roadside Minnows this year, but will likely wait till next year.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:39 PM »
wax tails and crappie magnets are my go to plastics. gonna try the 1" nuggies this year

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Clam / Maki Plastics are my go to when I use plastics.

What would you say your ratio is between live vs. plastic...ballpark figure?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Variety...

I will say that for the tough bites those tiny ones that I first used were from Little Atoms: Skimpies, Dupies, Micro Nuggies.  That started building my confidence when live bait wasn't working or when the fish were more into small tiny forage.

For general use, the Wedgies style.  Even simple plastics like Berkley blood worms or trout worms has worked for me.  Sometimes you want to thread then one carefully, sometimes you just stick it in the middle wacky style or 1/3 of the way wacky style and it works better.  Standard Northland Mimic Minnow Frys or the larger ones with the paddle tails works too the sized that comes typical in the 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz jighead.  For some reason the curly tails has not worked for me.  Seems like fish don't like curly tails when they're just staring at the lure.

There were times when I pulled just the tentacle from the larger tube tails and thread them carefully onto the tiny jigs and that worked too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:02 PM »
Maki/Clam has some really good stuff. P3 plastics has some really life like soft plastics. The guys are tournament anglers and really put the R&D in to the stuff they make

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Maki/Clam has some really good stuff. P3 plastics has some really life like soft plastics. The guys are tournament anglers and really put the R&D in to the stuff they make

P3 plastics has been the best quality around that I have found, with a good price point. I also like the little atoms that were mentioned, P3 just has a better variety. I highly respect the co-owner of P3 plastics, knows way more about fishing than I ever will! I'm biased towards small companies though, their quality almost always surpasses the big name companies.
Da Pack!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I use mainly Clam Maki plastics.  Like the size and style they come in.  They have worked for me. 

I am trying BY Baits plastics this year also.  These are mainly for bluegills and crappie, but anything will bite on them - or so they say........

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:12 PM »
What would you say your ratio is between live vs. plastic...ballpark figure?

really don't go by a percentage. I more less let the fish tell me what they prefer. I normally carry both when I go out. I have been on lakes where all the crappies have seen nothing but minnows and they shut down to them. it is at that point I switched to plastics and was able to catch them when other around me could not. another thing I have seen on some lakes when it comes to live bait such as wax worms and spikes is that the fish prefer the spikes over wax worms on some lakes. I always say that at times you need to think out side the box and just try stuff that might seem odd or different but sometimes that makes the difference. another thing that factors  in too is the need to either up size or down size your jig or lure at times. again let the fish tell you what they prefer.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Another thing to watch is the mood of the fish.  If they are rushing up to bite and are aggressive - you should be able to switch to plastics.  Keeps you from rebaiting all the time.  Gets you back in the water faster.  If they are lethargic and won't bite - then maybe you need to switch to live bait.  Also, you can try to change up the plastics and see what happens. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:39 PM »
https://shop.northlandtackle.com/seasonal-tackle/ice-fishing/impulse-mini-smelt/
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-plastics/roadside-minnows-nano-fry-1-/

These work well on my pond....then again my fish will eat anything that hits the water lol I don't fish plastics tooo much beyond private ponds around here. Micro tubes work well too
I have some makis, quite a bit of impulse bugs, etc

Catchin' Fish

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:56 PM »
The Gulp Ice waxies in natural white and the Gulp grubs in pink on either a tungsten jig or a snare spoon are basically the only plastics I ever use through the ice. I mostly fish live bait though, so the only time I really use them is if the bite is super hot, to save bait, or if it is dead to see if a bait change will get them to nibble.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:12 PM »
I have posted this in years past, but nothing has changed. I have had excellent success with Whips, available from icefishingtime.com.
I keep a few dozen of these on hand all the time. Red is my first choice but purple and black have had their days too.

Duke

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:13 PM »
P3 plastics? shhhh  ;D
I'll also add Eurotackle, little atom, Dave's wedgees, maki, J & S are all great also.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:14 PM »
Try the beaver tail by Gullickson Bait Company. Lasts long time fish gobble it up like its live bait but lasts as long as plastics if not longer.

I picked some up of these up recently and curious to try em.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:35 PM »

I bought the beaver tail bait at the end of last season, haven't used them yet. Thanks for the heads up, I'm digging them out and giving it a shot!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:41 PM »

Bought it last year, can't remember but I think it was white or cream color?  Now it is brown? 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Ice mites.

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Panfish Plastics Chigger Fly
https://panfishplastics.com/shop/chigger-fry/
"Snow Flea 038" is one of the most productive colors for me

Little Atom Nuggie
https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/nug.htm
Atomic Red and Hot Pink colors, white always works too

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2020, 02:42 PM »

Bought it last year, can't remember but I think it was white or cream color?  Now it is brown?
[/quote

They say to refrigerate them to help with longevity of them. I read on their facebook page they will last a very long time if you do. I guess the brown gives it a more natural look 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Has anyone done well on the Berkley Powerbait Ice Wishbone?  They were in a sale bin last year so I picked up two packs.

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/powerbait-ice-wishbone-1366786

My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I have used something similar when chasing crappies and it worked really well.

I put the on a drop jig and it was my go to for a couple of years.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drop-jig.html

They dont have the wishbone I used to puy, this one looks different.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2020, 04:54 PM »
Be a man, don’t use em.

Offline WIcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2020, 05:26 AM »
https://www.freedombaitzoutdoors.com/

The Apache and hellcat are my favorites, use code JL10 to save 10%

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2020, 06:23 AM »
I had really good success using Eurotackle grub jr's last season with 3mm and smaller jigs, so I expanded my collection with some larger profiles to try on bigger stuff. 

Otherwise, I use a bit of discontinued VMC that I've hoarded, clam/maki and some panfish plastics.  The plastic often just some added bling to up my confidence, I often add a spike to my offerings for the fish's sake. :laugh:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2020, 09:09 AM »
No one mentioned scent, if to use, when to use, what to avoid or what to use.
I'll go with out first, then use tried and true scents I've used that I keep on hand. Dr. Juice pan scent is my first go to followed by Mr icehole pan fish scent. Trying to use the least amount possible. Anise is what I avoid unless game fishing.
Whats on your skin can make a difference while handling.
Panfish are all I ever target and use 2 pound or less line on ice.

Added these recently for yet another scent and maggot appearance.
https://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/gulp-ice-waxies-1366788

Trout magnet jigs 1/64 oz tipped with Charlie brewers sliders half length are my go to for softwater slackline. Might be good on ice.
https://www.sliderfishing.com

https://troutmagnet.com/trout-magnet/trout-magnettm-barbless-jig-heads-1.html

I have posted this in years past, but nothing has changed. I have had excellent success with Whips, available from icefishingtime.com.
I keep a few dozen of these on hand all the time. Red is my first choice but purple and black have had their days too.

Duke

They are same as these, but I use glow plastics also with glow jigs.
Little atoms version.of the whip. You can make them shorter and reuse worn out bait.
https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/product-p/wdg.htm

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.