Author Topic: Ice Sled Mod Wiring Lessons Learned  (Read 1708 times)

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Sled Mod Wiring Lessons Learned
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Just finishing up on sled mod and will have more pictures covering the start to finish. But I just wanted to post something covering more of the wiring portion of these builds because it seems like there wasn't a huge amount of information out there how this is done and how to make the installation simplistic. I feel this is big overlooked part of the mods and wanted to better support the community with what lessons learned I came across. If there are any low voltage guys on Ice Shanty, I would love to hear from you if I even wired this up correctly.

Tight Lines and be Safe Everyone

Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Sled Mod Wiring Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:35 PM »
All I can say is that it looks VERY impressive.

The thoughtful planning and diagrams are amazing (not something I would do well).

Then, the execution and implementation is held to the same standards.

It is obvious that you care and have the skills to make things happen.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:54 PM »
I like the documentation of the wiring.  Very nice and well planned out.  Can't wait to see the final outcome in the dark with all the lights.

I did something similar to my flipover - switches on different lights.  Yah, I'm a wiring geek!!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:58 PM »
All I can say is that it looks VERY impressive.

The thoughtful planning and diagrams are amazing (not something I would do well).

Then, the execution and implementation is held to the same standards.

It is obvious that you care and have the skills to make things happen.

Thanks for the complement man! I just wanted to share and help the community for future builders doing different things

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I like the documentation of the wiring.  Very nice and well planned out.  Can't wait to see the final outcome in the dark with all the lights.

I did something similar to my flipover - switches on different lights.  Yah, I'm a wiring geek!!

Did you come across any issues when you wired up your flip over? Anything that may help the next people willing to take on any mods?
Great feed back! keep it coming

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:19 PM »
1 - decide where you want your lights to be and how they will be switched.  This helps to look at while sitting in the shack and see if you want individual lights or a bank of lights.  This will help to decide if you can reduce the number of switches.  Its easy to get carried away, and when you are done, you realize you have 10 switches, and you really don't need that many.  The KISS principle comes into play here!

2 - decide how you want to fuse or protect the system.  Main line fuse will be sufficient to protect you from shorting the battery leads and starting a fire in your shack.  Individual fuses on lights circuits gives extra protection.

3 - Drawing up a diagram is best.  This really helps you to decide how you can gang up the ground wire.  With a DC circuit this helps to keep the runs to a minimum. 

4 - Wait until you have all your parts and connectors.  Seeing a small LED light with a 26 AWG and having a connector that will work with this is what you need to plan for.  If you have any skills in soldering - you are already ahead.  Otherwise, crimped connectors are your friend. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Great work and well thought out plan! What was your primary wire gauge size?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Very nice plan , avoid solder if you can, you will be traveling over ice, many vibrations ( harmonics) to already stiff wire can cause breakage, it's one of the main reasons ABYC does not allow soldered connections. , best case is a crimp terminals, sealed ( liquid tape) and shrink tube fitting for  your safest and most durable solution, the shrink not only protects from water intrusion, it also acts as strain relief.

keep in mind( and it was mentioned in your rocker switches diagram) fuses protect wire, but in some instances protect the device being used..

That's a pretty elaborate build, I've seen boats with less... have fun and enjoy..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Great work and well thought out plan! What was your primary wire gauge size?

Great question- the lights for the storage, side tackle trays, cup holders and hole lights are all 22 awg. The 5050 LED strip lights have water proof connector that just snap into place so no soldering was needed... super beneficial. The connections were made with waterproof crimps. to gang the wire together I used heat shrink connectors that have a solder component in the middle. For the two SAE connection point on the face of the sled, this is 12 awg wire strands. I kept both SAE lines
 back to the rocker switch and earth terminal bar the same as these two ports will be supporting a video camera and a flasher. The power supply and earth connection into the battery are 12 awg solid core with generic terminal ends. Here are some of the pictures of the wiring as it was being installed to get a better idea of how I laid this out.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Very nice plan , avoid solder if you can, you will be traveling over ice, many vibrations ( harmonics) to already stiff wire can cause breakage, it's one of the main reasons ABYC does not allow soldered connections. , best case is a crimp terminals, sealed ( liquid tape) and shrink tube fitting for  your safest and most durable solution, the shrink not only protects from water intrusion, it also acts as strain relief.

keep in mind( and it was mentioned in your rocker switches diagram) fuses protect wire, but in some instances protect the device being used..

That's a pretty elaborate build, I've seen boats with less... have fun and enjoy..

Thanks Roccus for the compliment - Great points on pointing out the ABYC

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Awesome writeup and the diagrams are top notch!   :thumbsup:

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:16 PM »
looks great man..really informative stuff..just a question though..with all the weight talk around these flips and trying to keep them as light as possible, does this not add a ton of it? i'm guessing it's always pulled behind a ATV or snowmobile but do you have a system for loading it into a truck or trailer? Any negatives to the weight for pulling in slush or deeper snow?

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:11 PM »
looks great man..really informative stuff..just a question though..with all the weight talk around these flips and trying to keep them as light as possible, does this not add a ton of it? i'm guessing it's always pulled behind a ATV or snowmobile but do you have a system for loading it into a truck or trailer? Any negatives to the weight for pulling in slush or deeper snow?

This is another great question and this comes up a bunch with the mods. Following this season ill be able to actually provide weight dry and loaded. let me back in to what my reasoning was behind the mod over hauling loose gear.

Foremost, set up early in the morning got really old quick with it just be me and a young one. So instead of setting up the tent after the holes are popped, then I would haul all the gear inside and set everything up. In and Out through the little door. With this idea, I will be able to spot punch a hole and check my position, if I'm good, pull the mod right up to where I'm setting up, punch all the holes and then put the tent up over the mod and - all my gear is inside and ready to go for unload.
I also like the idea of having the bench style seating with some area to set drinks, minor tackle gear etc.

As far as the weight goes, in my beginning days years ago, I would pull two sled behind me, one with the auger and gas the other with all the other gear. I looked at the Smitty and built one and was able to pull all my gear loaded on one sled and it was about 1/3 the resistance prior. I do plan on throwing the mod up on a new Smitty with some skis I got for free down at the local ski shop. 

Hear what Can say about the weight - the sled is 21.5lbs dry, the plywood for the decking is 1.5lbs per sqft = 17.5 lbs and LiFePo4 batteries add another 6lbs for a total of - 45lbs dry

I probably have another 75 lbs in gear at guess - that's rods, seats, heaters, flasher, camera, food, drinks, tip ups, tent, augur and everything else I'm forgetting. I don't own a 4 wheeler or a snow sled so I have to pull this out and pull it back in. I assume to be pulling somewhere around 120-130ish. Now a Jason Mitchel thermal flip over tent dry weighs 120lbs dry. so I guess looking at it from the mod the the flip over category, I might come in a little less. Its all on what you prefer and how you like to enjoy your time out on the ice. For me, its my get away and home away from home and I like to work hard to get out there, enjoy my reward and then work to get home and leave me feeling accomplished even on a slow day of fishing.

I hope that helps

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:26 PM »
This is another great question and this comes up a bunch with the mods. Following this season ill be able to actually provide weight dry and loaded. let me back in to what my reasoning was behind the mod over hauling loose gear.

Foremost, set up early in the morning got really old quick with it just be me and a young one. So instead of setting up the tent after the holes are popped, then I would haul all the gear inside and set everything up. In and Out through the little door. With this idea, I will be able to spot punch a hole and check my position, if I'm good, pull the mod right up to where I'm setting up, punch all the holes and then put the tent up over the mod and - all my gear is inside and ready to go for unload.
I also like the idea of having the bench style seating with some area to set drinks, minor tackle gear etc.

As far as the weight goes, in my beginning days years ago, I would pull two sled behind me, one with the auger and gas the other with all the other gear. I looked at the Smitty and built one and was able to pull all my gear loaded on one sled and it was about 1/3 the resistance prior. I do plan on throwing the mod up on a new Smitty with some skis I got for free down at the local ski shop. 

Hear what Can say about the weight - the sled is 21.5lbs dry, the plywood for the decking is 1.5lbs per sqft = 17.5 lbs and LiFePo4 batteries add another 6lbs for a total of - 45lbs dry

I probably have another 75 lbs in gear at guess - that's rods, seats, heaters, flasher, camera, food, drinks, tip ups, tent, augur and everything else I'm forgetting. I don't own a 4 wheeler or a snow sled so I have to pull this out and pull it back in. I assume to be pulling somewhere around 120-130ish. Now a Jason Mitchel thermal flip over tent dry weighs 120lbs dry. so I guess looking at it from the mod the the flip over category, I might come in a little less. Its all on what you prefer and how you like to enjoy your time out on the ice. For me, its my get away and home away from home and I like to work hard to get out there, enjoy my reward and then work to get home and leave me feeling accomplished even on a slow day of fishing.

I hope that helps

definitely helps thanks..I honestly didn't realize this wasn't a flip over lol..I see it all the time with flips so my mind just filled in the blanks I guess..definitely would make it lighter, but I see guys doing this on otter lodges which weight 120+ lbs bare so always wondered how they were muscling it around..anyway appreciate the info..build looks awesome

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Great post, I'm working on an x-200 I just got from a friend, it's got a sleeping deck on it and I'm working on putting in some electrical goodies so your post was just in time for me...  Thanks  for the details, it's giving me some great ideas...  I'm very concerned with weight on my shelter, I think I'm going to put a winch or come a long on my snowmobile trailer to help load the beast, and it will be pulled with the snowmobile or else it will stay home, I'm not as young as I used to be... But I, like you, love the convenience that this shelter can provide.  Probably not for every trip, but it will for sure have it's place and time when it will be a great help...  I went a little nuts and added a Blackstone griddle and cooking set up so I can camp overnight and have what I need to stay for a few days.... Lots of weight, but closest we come to ice houses in the short ice season in our location... Thanks again for the post... J

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Great post, I'm working on an x-200 I just got from a friend, it's got a sleeping deck on it and I'm working on putting in some electrical goodies so your post was just in time for me...  Thanks  for the details, it's giving me some great ideas...  I'm very concerned with weight on my shelter, I think I'm going to put a winch or come a long on my snowmobile trailer to help load the beast, and it will be pulled with the snowmobile or else it will stay home, I'm not as young as I used to be... But I, like you, love the convenience that this shelter can provide.  Probably not for every trip, but it will for sure have it's place and time when it will be a great help...  I went a little nuts and added a Blackstone griddle and cooking set up so I can camp overnight and have what I need to stay for a few days.... Lots of weight, but closest we come to ice houses in the short ice season in our location... Thanks again for the post... J

Glad this could help. If your looking for decent batteries to power your unit, I found some of the new LiFePo4 style batteries from Miady that were in a great price range. I received my units today actually and when I lifted them out of the box, I couldn't believe how light these batteries are. I ended up getting two 16ah batteries for right around 100 dollars. When I was looking around, 32ah LiFePo4 type batteries were pretty expensive. This was passed on to me by a fellow fisherman and recommended so check it out... seems to be the way to go.

Love Utah and had a blast out on Powell several years back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.