Author Topic: Best Chair for ice fishing  (Read 20459 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Chair for ice fishing
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:59 AM »
I have this one from GCI and love it!  https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Slim-Fold-Directors-Chair/dp/B00HKCXVR0/ref=asc_df_B00HKCXVR0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194852051030&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7589491942282868279&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006503&hvtargid=aud-467077737785:pla-315750813495&psc=1

It's a bit pricey, but I found it for 50% off during a field and stream flash sale last winter.  I was using a standard folding chair with the four legs, but this style feels more stable on the ice and opens/closes easier than my "normal" folding chair.  Plus since it folds flat it packs better in my sled.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Love my Millennium G100 blind chair. I got the complete setup with shooting stick and mount and camo cold weather pad. Pulls double duty for hunting and ice fishing. No better or more comfortable portable chair on the market than the G100 blind chair.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:33 AM »
I used to use a "standard" folding camp chair, the kind where the legs foldup together so that it could be stored in its vinyl carry bag.
I used to wonder why my back and arse were sore after a long day of fishing, and it was because you sat back in the chair, and lower than the front so that getting out of the chair was a labor.

I now have a folding "director" style I picked up @ wally-world for around $14, and it has a sturdy frame, the fabric is taut at the seat and the back rest is high enough for good back support.
I folds up to a thin profile and fits well in my jet sled with the rest of my gear.
What I like is that for me, it's at the right "jigging level" and getting up from it is easy.

Of course with pretty much ALL folding chairs, you will need to "anchor" it down somehow to prevent the embarrassing "wind chase" across the ice!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:35 PM »
I use a chair that I got at wally world.  I use a square Coleman seat cushion also to raise me up some to make getting out of the chair easier. I fish out of a hub, which usually gets icy inside, so I attached small plywood squares that have screws sticking out some on the bottom side. That way the chair doesn't slide out from beneath me when I get out of the chair. It's my version of a studded chair.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I use the harbor frieght #62314 folding sports chair for $25.00. works great

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #65 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:11 PM »
I use the harbor frieght #62314 folding sports chair for $25.00. works great

Me too.  I got two of them for my hub. They are great.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:19 PM »
When I am hole hopping its a 5 gal pail and a padded seat.  Everything I need is in the bucket. Pole holders screwed  on the side. Backpack for the helix and camera. Fast and lite.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Is that a homemade version of a Clam plate in the background? Want to tell us about it?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline alanowak1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:57 PM »
He looks definitely self-made but very good job. How much time is it already serving? What made of it?

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Is that a homemade version of a Clam plate in the background? Want to tell us about it?
Good eye.  Its homemade.  Alum base and upright. Got the bearing from Grainger. Milled the steel rod to fit the i.d. of the auger screw. Works great.   It was a do when I can project over the summer. I use quick connect pins to hold the thing together. I use a mllwaukee fuel 18 volt to power it. I take a spare bat, just incase I need it.  I have one of those adapter things to regulate the voltage to 12 v and use it to power my flasher and camera.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:45 AM »
the three legged chairs ive tried bust my balls all day.jmo.

Have you tried cutting a hole in the chair? A jock strap also helps.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 04, 2019, 11:34 PM »
I use an old steel folding chair....like you would have seen in an old bingo hall. Rugged to hold my 260 lbs...and it has a padded seat and back.....sick of those plastic pieces of crap chairs.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #72 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:17 AM »
I use a chair that I got at wally world.  I use a square Coleman seat cushion also to raise me up some to make getting out of the chair easier. I fish out of a hub, which usually gets icy inside, so I attached small plywood squares that have screws sticking out some on the bottom side. That way the chair doesn't slide out from beneath me when I get out of the chair. It's my version of a studded chair.

Wow...nice chair mod!
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:30 AM »
It was 40F temps today.  I wasn't going with the steel folding chair today, since I bought that plastic folding chair from Home Depot to try.

I always remember things getting wet during those more wet snow/sleet weather.  Says it will hold 600 lbs.

At first I thought it might be like one of those Lifetime or Costco brand in function.  There are some flex to those.  This Home Depot chair is very solid.  Easily twice the chair.

Now if they just make the same version with arm rests...

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Good eye.  Its homemade.  Alum base and upright. Got the bearing from Grainger. Milled the steel rod to fit the i.d. of the auger screw. Works great.   It was a do when I can project over the summer. I use quick connect pins to hold the thing together. I use a mllwaukee fuel 18 volt to power it. I take a spare bat, just incase I need it.  I have one of those adapter things to regulate the voltage to 12 v and use it to power my flasher and camera.

Sounds like you have some pretty serious fab eqpt with skills to match. I had plans in my head as to how to make one, but i have neither. well done! maybe you can churn out a few and sell them on here, undercutting Clam. :) ;)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:40 PM »
My vote goes to the 3 legged folding chair.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:23 AM »
I had the 3 legged Eskimo chair until I went to sit down on it and the fabric completely ripped off away between my legs. I laid on the ice for a minute and laughed, but it could have been much worse. Eskimo didn't think it was as funny and sent me one of their Versa chairs and man, the thing is bomb proof. Folds down very thin, and pops open easily.

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Redneck Blinds portable hunting chair.
https://redneckblinds.com/products/portable-hunting-chair

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #78 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Sounds like you have some pretty serious fab eqpt with skills to match. I had plans in my head as to how to make one, but i have neither. well done! maybe you can churn out a few and sell them on here, undercutting Clam. :) ;)
I'd lose money if I tried that. lol.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:22 PM »
The Harbor Freight Chair is awesome. Thanks for the tip 3300!

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:03 PM »
The Harbor Freight Chair is awesome. Thanks for the tip 3300!

Yea, I went out and bought one, too, based on this thread. Have yet to get on the ice but by golly, I've got the chair ready!
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline flit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Yea, I went out and bought one, too, based on this thread. Have yet to get on the ice but by golly, I've got the chair ready!

x2 thank 3300  I was looking for something better for my otter cottage bench

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:15 AM »
It was 40F temps today.  I wasn't going with the steel folding chair today, since I bought that plastic folding chair from Home Depot to try.

(Image removed from quote.)

I always remember things getting wet during those more wet snow/sleet weather.  Says it will hold 600 lbs.

At first I thought it might be like one of those Lifetime or Costco brand in function.  There are some flex to those.  This Home Depot chair is very solid.  Easily twice the chair.

Now if they just make the same version with arm rests...

Thanks for the tip Bob!  I've been looking for a chair with a back and no arms on it.  Will stop at HD to check them out!

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Bought a couple different styles for deer blind and also use them on the ice from Sportsman's Guide

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:27 PM »
5 gal bucket upside down.

Offline misha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 03, 2020, 01:45 PM »

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2020, 03:07 PM »
If you are over 70 like me, the getting up is harder than the sitting.
I use a hard arm quad chair, the wife bought me eons ago.
A number of post have shown this type, and I wholeheartedly agree with them.
They are usually bulkier and more expensive, but I think they're worth it.
Mine is mainly used for deer hunting - minimum 12hrs at a stretch.
Home Depot has RIO in a various styles.
GCI Outdoor has a Freestyle Rocker Portable Rocking Chair, if you are so inclined.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #89 on: Dec 03, 2020, 03:53 PM »
I took advice from other on the shanty a year or 2 ago and went with the $20 chair with fold out table from harbor freight. And I like it much more then I anticipated and its holding up better then expected. Table is meh, take it or leave it. The chair is very light. Good for packing. Bad for wind. Be sure to tie on a loop for an ice anchor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.