Author Topic: fish stock  (Read 978 times)

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
fish stock
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:06 AM »
 Anyone have a link to making Fish stock? Or where you can but it? Could not find a recipe in the search. Lets hear how you guys make this!

Thanks for any and all help.

Mark
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: fish stock
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Making stock is up to the maker as far as what goes into it. Take the fish parts and start boiling them. Things like the heads, fileted rib cage some meat, even some shrimp etc. Add some carrots celery onion and whatever else you wish. season lightly as you dont want to taste just seasonings. Maybe a bay leaf some tyme salt and pepper. The seasoning should be used according to the meal you make from the broth. When this reduces and the flavors concentrate then you need to strain it so its just clear broth. Discard the rest. Don't over reduce it so it gets too strong or scortch it either. Stock takes some time to make right.

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:05 PM »
fish stock doesn't take nearly as long to make as others (chicken, beef, etc.) imo.  good all around additions are carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf.  put all in a stock pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 30-60 minutes.  strain throung cheesecloth or a fine wire mesh strainer.  if not using within a couple days freeze.  i find it nice to fill ice cube trays, then put the cubes in gallon freezer bags.  makes it easier to use what you need than freezing large blocks, unless you are planning on making a large amount of stuff.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:54 PM »
I tried making fish soup out of some crappies and sunnies--------I filleted them out removed the head and insides and boiled them----removed the bones and stuff and thought it would be good---------NO WAY!!!!The stock tasted like bottom of the lake------I threw it out.  Last time I tried it -----

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the imput guys. Cook wants to give it a try dispite Dairymans comments. She just shrugged and said "Your the one that will eat it"

Thanks again
Mark
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.