Author Topic: Feed for Goldies  (Read 591 times)

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
Feed for Goldies
« on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:04 AM »
can anyone help me out I jig  my own goldies  and keep them alive , do you feed them ? if  so  what?

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: Feed for Goldies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:06 AM »
I try not to feed them.  How long are you planning on keeping them?  What is your tank setup?  How many at a time are in there?  More crowded=Less feed

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:12 AM »
20 gallon , 4 air hoses , planning on holding onto tem untill i run out  4 weeks or  so  already had  them 3-4 weeks

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:36 AM »
20 gallons is not a very large tank.  I saw in another post you have 30 fish?  Size of your fish will make a huge difference in this setup.  8"-10" goldens would be a lot.  i assume they are more like 4"to 6" sice you have already been keeping them for weeks.  I would not feed them either way. 

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 10:18 AM »
if you just have them in a tank w/ no filters or plan to use them all w/in a few weeks, then don't feed them.

if you keep them in an aquarium w/ a filter, you can feed them fish flakes....like goldfish.  they learn to eat them in a few days.  don't feed them right away.  also, need to clean the tank regularly.  they can last a long time (months) if you take care of them.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:55 PM »
depends on water temp as well if you are not feeding them if the water is around 40 degrees or less then they survive great for a long period of time without food.  I have minnows that I order in and keep and sell and when the water is cold no feed to very little feed.  The other thing is keeping the water changed out, and non-chlorinated water is the best, if you have chlorinated water, fill a bucket and let sit overnight this helps a bunch.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:09 PM »
Under 42 or so degrees food does more harm than good... As mentioned above, they'll be fine for long periods of time without food (4-5) months no problem. Food just means waste in the water, waste turns to ammonia and ammonia turns to dead shiners...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2023, 04:36 AM »
Thanks for all the info - tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.