The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fun birthday  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
Fun birthday
« on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:41 AM »
So yesterday I turned the last year of my twenty’s.

My buddy called me the night before and said he would love to land his first fish through the ice. I told him get his stuff ready and I will meet you at the Cheshire boat ramp at 8 am.

We meet up and got out to the spot and had all our flags in by 8:30 slow first hour with a couple 15 in pickerel that I left on the ice to try and weed out all the little jacks and because we saw a pair of eagles watching us from the tree line above. That was a sight to see watching them fly 5 feet from us to swoop up a meal.

About 10:30 I had to walk over to the island to let go of some of the coffee that runs right through. I told my buddy if he sees a flag go for it. Well on my walk back I saw the flag and he was running for it. She was running pretty fast and far so we thought maybe a toothy I let my buddy take over and he said it had some great head shakes and it was fighting pretty hard. After about 5 minutes he pulled his first fish through the ice a 3 pound largemouth. I was ecstatic to get him on his first fish on the ice. And he was hooked!

Throughout the day we caught 3 smaller bass and 5 more pickerel all small. And one FAT perch.

As I was picking up at 330 my flag with my big bait spun off I got there and was almost spooled I set the hook had a 10 minute fight for the line to just go slack I pulled my line up and my 40lb flouro was all frayed up and my hook was gone. It was a heartbreaking moment but nothing to keep me from going back out again and trying.

All in all great birthday.

FLAGGGG!!!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fun birthday
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Great post and pics.  Must have been amazing to see those eagles come in.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:04 PM »
it great when you take a newbie out and they catch something good. nice job ;D

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 01:13 PM »
"I set the hook had a 10 minute fight for the line to just go slack I pulled my line up and my 40lb flouro was all frayed up and my hook was gone."

And that right there is why I crimp my own rigs with steel leaders fishing for those toothies. Great job getting your friend his first fish through the ice
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 01:18 PM »
Sounds like a great day!  Those are the ones that keep you coming back.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 01:22 PM »
Nice job Happy Birthday..✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:41 PM »
"I set the hook had a 10 minute fight for the line to just go slack I pulled my line up and my 40lb flouro was all frayed up and my hook was gone."

And that right there is why I crimp my own rigs with steel leaders fishing for those toothies. Great job getting your friend his first fish through the ice

See I’d love to start doing that but I don’t know where to start haha. I want to know how long should I make my leader? what pound test? what size hook? that’s where I struggle a little bit with the game fish the trout and bass setups I can do not even thinking about it now. I’d rather not spend a bunch of money on the wrong setup.
FLAGGGG!!!

Infiniti

« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:00 PM »
Happy belated birthday, its pretty awesome that you were able to put a new guy on some fish. Last time I tried that I brought the guy to a pond where I typically bring 3 dozen shiners and leave with none. We ended up catching like 3 pickerel and some bluegill all day lol. I'll never understand how some people claim to use 40lb mono leaders for pike and rarely lose a fish. I lose fish every time I use anything other than steel.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:15 PM »
Great Birthday and fishing
MA

Offline Yukon Cornelius

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:36 AM »
How much ice? i was there two weeks ago and had maybe 5", wondering if anyone out there past couple days with quad. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:39 AM »
How much ice? i was there two weeks ago and had maybe 5", wondering if anyone out there past couple days with quad.

I'd suspect quads are fine on the north end of cheshire.  There was around 8" at onota and that setup much later.  There was a snowdog out there as well. 
westernmas on the finder

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2023, 12:16 PM »
When I first started fishing for pike, I lost exactly one fish with a 50# flouro leader (chopped off right near the hole after a good run) and have switched to steel ever since. Some guys say that the fish bite less on steel but I haven't noticed a difference. Bring a few extra rigs though because once the steel leader gets bent, I have noticed that the fish don't bite. Overall a lot less changing of chewed-up leaders though.
Hop on YouTube. They're easy and inexpensive to twist and crimp. And you can add spinners or glow beads beads and customize them.

Offline Yukon Cornelius

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2023, 12:41 PM »
hmm. steel vs. fluoro, shouldn't be much debate on that one I'm sure there aren't strong opinions either way...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:19 PM »
hmm. steel vs. fluoro, shouldn't be much debate on that one I'm sure there aren't strong opinions either way...

The bite off stories are priceless.  I had one slice 80lb.  If you fish deadbaits the "right" way (for this time of year) the steal leader is resting on the bottom unseen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.