Author Topic: Eskimo Sierra Thermal  (Read 1129 times)

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Sierra Thermal
« on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:17 PM »
I recently bought a sierra thermal shack and it is turning out to be a nice shack. I took out the second seat and hardware which decreased the weight by just over 15lbs according to the scale, with all steel components. So that gets the weight empty in the high 60's range.

It makes for a roomy shack for one.

I bought an extra front support pole that I use for two reasons. First, it seemed like a really dumb design to have the front support pole in the middle of the door. This way with two front poles I can "frame" the door and have use of the full width of the door. And second it really strengthens the front of the fabric for wind, with no slack in the fabric.

I marked the frames with a sharpie so I can tell with a quick look if they are locked out.

I made some aluminum U brackets and some velcro to lock in the support poles during transport.

I also put in a couple of front grommets for anchoring on the very windy days.

I only have 4 days fishing with it so far, but I like it better than my previous Eskimo Evo 1IT.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Eskimo Sierra Thermal
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:36 PM »
I bought and modified mine mid season last season . I did add the larger Cold Snap rod holders . Power Practical USB/LED lights .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=389003.msg4249487#msg4249487
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:45 AM »
Nice set up, own one myself.

Offline BuschaLatte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ope!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:27 AM »
I have a normal sierra - wife accidentally bought it vs the thermal. 

I ended up insulating it with that bubble wrap insulation and now its super warm.  Removed my seat supports as well and made a platform a bit taller as I didn't like how low I sat in the shanty - hurt my back after a days fishing.   Halfway decent setup - wish it was taller is my only qualm.  Great for 1 person, would be cozy with 2.  Platform I built I used 2x8 on long sides with 4 2x3 supports across with plywood over the top.  Im sure I added 10-15 lbs in the whole process, but its only used on cold days where I go out the whole day.  Otherwise I just use a jetsled.  I'd like to add some grommets like you did
Ope! hey there bud, be sure to tell your folks I says hi

Keep wild places wild, be a good role model for young ones, keep public lands and accesses clean so we never lose them.

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:41 PM »
I have a normal sierra - wife accidentally bought it vs the thermal.  I ended up insulating it with that bubble wrap insulation and now its super warm. 

how did you do that? how did you attach? i have quickflip i want to insulate

Offline BuschaLatte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ope!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:32 AM »

For the roof - basically cut to length bubble wrap type insulation - get underneath bars - cutout slits for velcro or whatever is used for clips to your flipover bars and reattach.  Then I used HD 3M velcro as needed to secure areas.  I'll try and get some photos once I have it all finished up.  Sides are more difficult - and not as tidy for tucking in for transport - but this is my cold weather rig.  Just doing the roof made a huge difference last year, could turn my heater off at 0*F. The bars hold it very well i've found.  The stuff weighs next to nothing as well.
Ope! hey there bud, be sure to tell your folks I says hi

Keep wild places wild, be a good role model for young ones, keep public lands and accesses clean so we never lose them.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:43 AM »

Some good videos of finished products on YouTube ..most used Velcro
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:24 PM »
About the only negative I have on the sierra is the tub. It is flimsy, shallow, and darn near impossible to mount the eskimo tow hitch to it.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2023, 04:30 AM »
alaska mike  which Eskimo hitch are you referring ? I almost went with the Eskimo EZ Tow Hitch  but could not find one at a reasonable price ..the Eskimo Universal hitch just did not seem to have a great way of bolting to the sled tub ... seem very odd to do that...I ended up going with the Shappel Universal Hitch .

https://geteskimo.com/products/ez-stow-pivoting-tow-hitch?_pos=1&_sid=54759f76f&_ss=r

https://geteskimo.com/products/11608-tow-hitch-universal-eskimo?_pos=2&_sid=54759f76f&_ss=r

https://www.eagleclaw.com/jsh-universal-hitch

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:21 AM »
A hitch used on the Sierra is in the way of the side flaps for the shelter, which keeps the wind out.
Wrestling with Clevis pins & aligning holes isn’t fun, especially when the wind is howling.
Clam’s Pro Hitch is quick & easy to hook & detach, which allows the flaps to be snugged to the tub sides.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/pro-series-hitch.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.