Author Topic: Lebanon Area  (Read 3201 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lebanon Area
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:11 PM »

Yes. That is the law & I find it funny though, there's a popular bait shop in VT a stones throw from the CT river of which is owned entirely by NH to the setbacks of VT state highway bridges....They clearly write on the bait slip your given CT river every time.  CT river is NH so if a fisherman walks out with live bait on the river or parks at the setbacks in nh they must have NH bait... also, a VT fishing license is the same as a NH license while fishing the CT river.  So, they can fish it but, cannot bring live bait with them from the VT shore....that is a can of worms...Never heard of it being enforced on the CT River or around here.  But, I agree that's exactly verbatim the law. I will buy mine in NH.

Yeah it's a mess. I did have a VT warden check me twice last season on the same CT River setback-in his words if you access the setback from VT soil, you need a VT bait slip. I keep my pike pursuits to the NH side where I can use suckers ;D

Offline JigDragger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:08 AM »
I'd like to clear something up here. I've read quite a few posts on social media, this year about transporting VT bait to and using it in NH (Not the CT river).
It's had me scratching my head, because I knew it was illegal.
BTW, the ultimate source of the bait is irrelevant.

The rule states as follows...
"Importation of live fish or their eggs, including
bait fish, is prohibited without a special
permit."

That's what I figured when I read that section on NH F&G  I'm not trying to "win" in this conversation I just want to follow the rules and regulations and to get that cleared up

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:36 AM »
That's what I figured when I read that section on NH F&G  I'm not trying to "win" in this conversation I just want to follow the rules and regulations and to get that cleared up
I'll be honest that I never even thought to look in the NH regulations until it was brought up on this site. I'm very thankful that this was brought up because I have been inadvertently breaking the law. Ignorance is no excuse I know, but have never been questioned when being checked in NH. You guys may have saved my butt. I did send an email to Fish and Game to get their take on this.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I'll be honest that I never even thought to look in the NH regulations until it was brought up on this site. I'm very thankful that this was brought up because I have been inadvertently breaking the law. Ignorance is no excuse I know, but have never been questioned when being checked in NH. You guys may have saved my butt. I did send an email to Fish and Game to get their take on this.
JD, I appreciate the fact that you want to follow the rules! There does appear to be a lot of misconceptions on this one. IMO, there's really no need for it. The rule is stated clearly & succinctly.
Benny, I think it's great that you owned this. I'd be very surprised if NHF&G's take is any different than their written law. Please let us know if you find it's different.
Scoma, border bodies of water can be a "can of worms". That's why there's a special section for them in the rule book. On the Piscataqua river, ME/NH (open brackish, water) for years, you could anchor your boat in the middle of the river (border). If you had your line on one side, the slot, limit and gear restrictions were different than if you had your line on the other side for stripers. The gear restrictions remains different today.
I would say, the individual states have to draw the line somewhere.   

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:49 PM »
JD, I appreciate the fact that you want to follow the rules! There does appear to be a lot of misconceptions on this one. IMO, there's really no need for it. The rule is stated clearly & succinctly.
Benny, I think it's great that you owned this. I'd be very surprised if NHF&G's take is any different than their written law. Please let us know if you find it's different.
Scoma, border bodies of water can be a "can of worms". That's why there's a special section for them in the rule book. On the Piscataqua river, ME/NH (open brackish, water) for years, you could anchor your boat in the middle of the river (border). If you had your line on one side, the slot, limit and gear restrictions were different than if you had your line on the other side for stripers. The gear restrictions remains different today.

CD, that boggles my mind that the regs would differ depending on the side of the boat.... that must have been anight mare to try and enforce. Neat anecdote though.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I read somewhere else that these guys in the boat caught a net full of fish on one side of the boat and nothing on the other side.  I don't think it was New Hampshire, though.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:28 PM »
CD, that boggles my mind that the regs would differ depending on the side of the boat.... that must have been anight mare to try and enforce. Neat anecdote though.
The side of the boat, only if it was on the border, and the current, tide kept your lines straight.  ;)
Another issue on that border, was where your boat was launched. You could catch legal stripers in NH and if you brought them back to a launch in ME, they were illegal. Or, you could catch them legally in NH put them in your truck, and drive home to ME, where they were illegal!
Read a story years ago, where a LEO of some sort, painted a line across the road and bridge to keep the bridge anglers sorted out.  ???

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:06 AM »

Fish and Game responded and it is in fact the way it reads. I have been breaking the law for the last 30 years.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Thanks for the follow up, Benny.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.