Author Topic: Hand held GPS for ice?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hand held GPS for ice?
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:07 AM »
 ???  I thought about one of the expensive LCD units that can use lake map cards.  But since I already have a Garmin Rino,for hunting, I ordered a Garmin LakeView sd card so that I will have depth maps regardless of which fish finder I use. 
Now I find out that Garmin will come out with a super LakeVu update next Feb.  Anyone have any idea how much better the new maps might be ?
Dick

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hand held GPS for ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Since you already have it for hunting, it sounds like an excellent addition to your "arsenal" when hitting the ice.

Just keep in mind that all the gadgetry in the world won't make you a better angler....but it makes it more fun to become one!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Use navionics without issue.  Have entered in GPS Mark's from other units and got to my spots with reasonable accuracy.  Cheap too!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:30 PM »
I was wondering if it would be worth considering if I already have Navionics. Are GPS Units that much better? I feel as though Navionics does the trick for me.
Tight Lines!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 04:34 PM »
The big advantage of a handheld GPS is battery life vs your cellphone. I can run my Garmin continiously for 16+ hours on 2 AA's. If I left GPS turned on continiously on my cellphone it would last maybe 4.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Hoping OnX conquers the water too...

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I was wondering if it would be worth considering if I already have Navionics. Are GPS Units that much better? I feel as though Navionics does the trick for me.

What did you install your navionics in.  Remember I already had a Garmin Rino (GPS and radio).
Also keep mind that navionics is now a Garmin holding.
Dick

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:16 PM »
What did you install your navionics in.  Remember I already had a Garmin Rino (GPS and radio).
Also keep mind that navionics is now a Garmin holding.
Dick

Yup, Garmin's mapping update next year is supposed to be a conglomeration of their HD mapping and navionics. :)

Offline tautog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:33 PM »
The navionics app for your smartphone and and an extra battery pack is a lot cheaper than a separate gps, and if you hunt a phone with an offline sat map app is invaluable for finding good spots and getting back to the truck when there is no cell service, I don’t see the need for a stand alone gps when you have a phone anyway, but always carry a compass.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:11 PM »
How do you guys keep your smartphones from shutting down in the cold temps?  My iPhone quickly goes into shutdown mode when temps getting chilly....it gets pretty frustrating as it always seems to happen at the worst times. 

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:54 PM »
How do you guys keep your smartphones from shutting down in the cold temps?  My iPhone quickly goes into shutdown mode when temps getting chilly....it gets pretty frustrating as it always seems to happen at the worst times.

Keep it in a pocket that is on your body when your not using it to keep it warm. A fully enclosed case also seems to help. I would imagine with a battery booster you could probably use it all day long.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:59 PM »
The big advantage of a handheld GPS is battery life vs your cellphone. I can run my Garmin continiously for 16+ hours on 2 AA's. If I left GPS turned on continiously on my cellphone it would last maybe 4.

I usually GPS to my spot, turn off location, and put it on super power saver or whatever they call it.  Never had the phone die on a day trip. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I usually GPS to my spot, turn off location, and put it on super power saver or whatever they call it.  Never had the phone die on a day trip.

True, the battery life being better matters more when on an all day hike or hunt. :)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:03 AM »
 ;D Just wanted to let you know that Garmin lakevu maps are available for ice fishermen that happen to own a recent Garmin hand held.  For most tech savvy fishermen let it be known that I have no umbilical connection to my cell phone.  I carry it in the truck for practical calls and emergencies.  I've never carried it in the ice.  I drag my sled to all fishing locations.  I'm a minimalist happy with my flasher , a small camera and now my Rino to utilize lake maps or save GPS hot spots.  Holes drilled with Nils and portable drill with numbers limited my arthritic mobility.
Wish I had machine to haul around all the new fangled gear.
But I plan to hunt fish under the ice until mother nature tells me I can't. 
I do love hearing about hi tech gear. 
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.