Author Topic: Ellacoya  (Read 901 times)

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ellacoya
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Hey gang. My wife's birthday is the end of January and she wants to rent a cabin near the lake. She even agreed to go icefishing :o. I found a rental near Ellacoya beach. My question, is there any ice issues I should be aware of there? Is it accessible from the beach with a snowmobile? How is the fishing in that area? I thank you for any information you can provide.

Offline minnowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waiting for the big behuba
Re: Ellacoya
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:51 AM »
easy accessability  decent fishing...shallow and sandy but you can get to deep water on your machine.
when hell freezes over, I'll be icefishing there too!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:59 AM »
easy accessability  decent fishing...shallow and sandy but you can get to deep water on your machine.
Thanks minnowman! Typically no ice issues there?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Never ice fished there but would love to try...I know the lakers like it there because we always got hits trolling through there in front of the beach in 15-20 FOW. I believe there is a stream that comes in thereabouts which might affect ice thickness. I would hunt for 30-40 FOW for lakers and that shallow sandy area might be a nice spot for bows! Lake Winni is ever changing in how it sets up and locks in so as always, proceed with caution!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I believe it is one of the last areas of the lake to freeze up.  Just be careful and you should be fine.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:03 AM »
I believe it is one of the last areas of the lake to freeze up.  Just be careful and you should be fine.

This. It’s always the last part to freeze. But if there’s no ice there you are very close to a bunch of other points around there which tend to have better ice.

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Thank you for the replies. Appreciate it.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:05 AM »
There usually is a pressure ridge which forms every year from the south side of Welch Island back toward the shoreline  just south of Ellacoya Beach.  I believe it forms later in the year.  Just be careful and you should be fine.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Less than a mile north of Ellacoya is Sanders Bay, a very popular spot that will be solid way before Ellacoya. So you can have that as a safety net.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.