Author Topic: trick for night-time crappie, input needed  (Read 22538 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
trick for night-time crappie, input needed
« on: Oct 29, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I had a good idea this morning about icing crappie at night. We have 1 lake where there are some really nice crappie from 8-12" but in fairly low numbers. They also bite very good at night. I think maybe getting a milkjug, and dropping those snap-green lights in there (you guys know what I'm talking about), tying the milk jug to a line, and dropping it down the hole to attract the crappie into the area. I really think this would help attract the crappie. By the way, I would put it probably at the level the crappie come in at, which at this lake is 18-22 ft over 30 ft of water.
Does anyone think this would work?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: trick for night-time crappie, input needed
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2005, 09:26 PM »
I think the crappie in the lake we fish eat primarly daphnia or other zooplankton, and I think light attracts those species.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Don't see why it wouldn't.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:26 PM »
I like the idea and would like to try it. How about a 2lt "clear" pepsi/coke bottle? Milk jugs tend to be "off" colored.

Just my $.02

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:53 PM »
I saw a guy on a TV show once using a green light contraption in very deep water for perch.  Worked like a charm, but then again it was TV and they could have been taping for hours and only showed when it was good biting.  But it did attract fish.  ???
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005, 06:19 AM »
If it's legal in your area it worth a try

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2005, 07:33 PM »
I have a neon green "fish attracting" light that I got from Cabelas a couple of years ago - it was $20 if I remember right. It runs off of a car or motorcycle battery. I bought it after a few people that I know swore by the green light attracting crappies. Well, I have been using it for a few years, and am still trying to figure out what works best when using the light. I have had success using the light intermittently, and I have had good luck by leaving it on. I have had luck with the light right underneath of the ice, and have also had success using it at the bottom of the water column. I have even had good luck not using the light at all. I would have to say it was a good investment, but a lot of experimenting is needed. But once you find the trick, the light is well worth the investment.

Good Luck,
Dutch
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2005, 05:28 PM »
thanks for the input. I think I may try a plastic soda bottle instead of the milk container. I think puting it on the top would actually probably be the best idea; maybe in the middle of the water column might send crappie off. Who knows. It will be fun to try out this winter though!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:16 AM »
I had a good idea this morning about icing crappie at night. We have 1 lake where there are some really nice crappie from 8-12" but in fairly low numbers. They also bite very good at night. I think maybe getting a milkjug, and dropping those snap-green lights in there (you guys know what I'm talking about), tying the milk jug to a line, and dropping it down the hole to attract the crappie into the area. I really think this would help attract the crappie. By the way, I would put it probably at the level the crappie come in at, which at this lake is 18-22 ft over 30 ft of water.
Does anyone think this would work?
sounds good to me.  i would go with a clear bottle like the previous guy said.  i like using green glow in the dark teardops.  i would make another,  paint it black. and chip paint off all around in little specks.  maybe theyll think its a school of fish or something.  i dunno  :-\
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:55 AM »
Why do you need to put it in any jug?  Just tie a string to it and drop it in. 

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:11 AM »
LOL didnt even think about that...
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:21 AM »
My friend Tim ('fishingking') has one of those green lights, and after much experimenting, we've come to the realization that mobility is still the key, and finding the fish always seems to work better then trying to attract them in.  I've never seen the light bring fish in, and it has definitely has spooked fish at times.  For those evening and night crappies, we've had our best success drilling a bunch of holes in a suspected area before it started getting dark, then moving around those holes once the sun started fading...its hard work, but worth it.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2005, 07:18 AM »

lol thats what i was thinking, whats the difference between "off" color and clear when its probably not even going to fit in the hole much less sink if it does, the fish wont see it?

i have had success with this technique, it seems to bring in the minnows followed by the crappie, only tried it twice but it worked decent both times.

p.s. i had the light right on the bottom :tipup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:02 PM »
lol ur right why even use a bottle? Like I said the idea just came to me one day....lol. I might just try it plain and on the bottom like archbishop said.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:28 PM »
hey TFB good to hear from you again, any ice in CO yet?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2005, 02:37 PM »
yeah some people are already icefishing some of our high mountain lakes. I hear reports of 7" of ice in one place already. I'm still river fishing but if by  next week vega (the place where I got the trout in my avatar) is frozen I will be icefishing there. If not I will either be icefishing island lake or catching more river trout.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:51 PM »
do that on some of our ponds and the lightstick will get eaten....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:55 PM »
do that on some of our ponds and the lightstick will get eaten....
what you mean there fiesty,then we will have glow in the dark fish[bill]

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:18 AM »
I was in Denver area at Easter and was just wondering if there was any fish in Colorado yet.
Only saw on fish a greenie the whole time there and it was a city park fish.
No plans to ever return no upndown earpopping genes in my make up and if the fish are
that scarce....

well tried the light stick thing tuesday? night.  not good.  but area s well lit always....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:27 PM »
I know the purple color seems to attract those smaller bait fish!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2006, 01:46 PM »
i bought a light thing that glows green and it attracks the crappie real good at night.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2006, 03:14 PM »
i bought a light thing that glows green and it attracks the crappie real good at night.

Are you from New Berlin, NY?
Hunt's Pond seems to get the cr@p beat out of it, and if it doesn't it will :-\

Offline tomatosoup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:15 PM »
well i live on black lake ny and i tried it one night and on my second drop with a pink demon lit up caught a 11 inch slob and never got another hit, but i have heard that they do bite at night and and old fisherman told a buddy of mine that drill a hole but not all the way through and put a big candle in the hole and put a bucket over it and it alluminates the ice, then fish around it . me i would rather use a lantern but i am gonna try it and will let you know how it turns out
flag!

bonkfan14

« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:06 AM »
well i live on black lake ny and i tried it one night and on my second drop with a pink demon lit up caught a 11 inch slob and never got another hit, but i have heard that they do bite at night and and old fisherman told a buddy of mine that drill a hole but not all the way through and put a big candle in the hole and put a bucket over it and it alluminates the ice, then fish around it . me i would rather use a lantern but i am gonna try it and will let you know how it turns out
hey john did you try it yet? ::)..zeke

dwayne

« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:33 AM »

I have done that in Mile Arm bay several times.  It seemed to work ok.  The few times we did it we ended up having good nights.  I am actually going to try that here in North Eastern NY soon.  I think I have a "candidate lake "to try it on.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:38 AM »
We just use our lanterns, fish with fatheads & have good success at night. Same routine for the the past 20 yrs & it still produces good.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Technically thats impossible  8)

Candle needs oxygen to burn! lol and wouldnt the wax build up and let less light through?

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I use coleman lanterns too.  They attract in the baitfish and the specks.  When I'm
going out shallow water perch fishing and plan on sitting tight for several hours I
have a quart mason jar with 1/4" holes in the top that I put a scoop of minnies in
and let down a hole to keep them in the area longer.  I have an eyebolt in the center of the lid & a chunk of string tied to a foot long stick.  This post gave me an idea I'll
have to try.  I'm gonna drop a couple of light sticks in with the minnows and let her down a crappie hole at night.  It just might work.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:51 AM »
i got a under water light that works well and its guts a regular white light
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

dwayne

« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Technically thats impossible  8)

Candle needs oxygen to burn! lol and wouldnt the wax build up and let less light through?

We didn't cover our holes with anything.  Figure the candle would melt the bottom of a plastic bucket.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.