Author Topic: Chains to ice studs ??  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Chains to ice studs ??
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Anybody else tired of chains on their Quad ? Got home from ice fishing in Canada and said the hell with it and took my chains off the back of my Quad. I think I’m going to try the ice studs instead but I can only use the shortest sheet metal screws for that since my lugs aren’t very tall on the stock tires. I’m just tired of having a row of links hitting my frame when I go over 18 mph. Anyone like the ice studs better than chains ? I only run them on the back it’s not like I’m running threw a foot or two of snow around here !!  ???  ???
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chains to ice studs ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Thank you   O B One   ;)2
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I run chains & wire or zip tie the excess so there's nothing flapping in the breeze. The key is to pull the tire valve/deflate the tires prior to install, get them on as tight as possible & air up the tires to recommended pressure. The chains haven't run off yet & I don't drive slowly. ;)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I run chains on the rear.. carbide studs on the front...3 seasons on the studs... i bind the spare chain links with marine grade tie wraps ..I've never had one come loose...they must be marine grade...not the cheap ones from the big box store
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Which part of the chain is hitting the frame, side links, cross links or excess? Post up a picture of your setup.

Studs can't really compete with properly set up chains. Better durability, added weight for traction, works better in snow.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Kold cutter ice screws 1/2" long worked great on my RZR for running on glare ice. They did not do much for running in deep snow or slush. Chains are the best IMO but as mentioned get them tight on a completely deflated tire and then air up. Wire tie any loose ends and make sure if you turn the wheels all the way to one side or the other the chains don't hit any frame or plastic parts. Tight is right!

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.