Author Topic: Fox chain  (Read 2767 times)

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fox chain
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Hit the fox chain today. Ice is a bit sketchy. Lots of thin 2" spots. Found a wide spread area of 4" got er done. Be safe.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fox chain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Hit the fox chain today. Ice is a bit sketchy. Lots of thin 2" spots. Found a wide spread area of 4" got er done. Be safe.

Nice work, sir. Thanks for the update.
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Drove by the south bay of channel lake on my way home from work and seen a number of guys out there fishing. If anyone is chomping at the bit to get out that is an option.

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Curious about the chain as I've never fished it before.  Is it like Castle Rock in WI where unless you're fishing structure (brush piles, or the channel with structure) you're going to get skunked?  Do you need to be on top of a crib or wood to catch fish?

Any info appreciated.  Not trying to blow up spots, really just thirsty for info as I've never fished it before and would be going out solo.

Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Looks like you did alright. :icefish:

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:10 PM »
There are many cribs and brush piles on the chain. I find during periods of light changes you will find fish stacked on them. That said the fish will not be exclusively on them. During the day when the bite shuts down on the brush it is usually do to the active fish pulling off and roaming. You can do quite well drilling out a main lake basin on the chain until you find a school of crappies, gills, perch, or yellow/white bass. I find the schools of bigger fish tend to relate to the main lake basin near piles but not often on them. I will be fishing this way tomorrow. Just off the brush drilling until I find them. Then more drilling to stay on them.

Offline Arquero3d

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:02 AM »
During the day when the bite shuts down on the brush it is usually do to the active fish pulling off and roaming. You can do quite well drilling out a main lake basin on the chain until you find a school of crappies, gills, perch, or yellow/white bass. I find the schools of bigger fish tend to relate to the main lake basin near piles but not often on them. I will be fishing this way tomorrow. Just off the brush drilling until I find them. Then more drilling to stay on them.

Great advice!
Fisher of Fishermen

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:43 AM »
It paid off today. A large group of shantys were on the brushpile. The fish where piled up 50 yards off of it in no man's land. Stayed on them and helped my old neighbor get a nice fish fry in only a couple hours. I took a couple home for me and the wife and let him have the rest. He hadn't lucked into any good amount of fish yet so he was happy. Since I have a reserve I have placed a 10 fish limit on myself. I care not to keep more than the wife and I can eat for the night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.