New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092619 times)

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
were does everyone order mousies from looking for large packs 100+ krutsons is out of stock as well as every site I've googled

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
were does everyone order mousies from looking for large packs 100+ krutsons is out of stock as well as every site I've googled

Maybe Davis Sports Shop has some?  I use gulp maggots and they work just as well IMO

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
david and local shops only carry small packs of 24

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  Ended up having to work today... going to try & get out in Sullivan co. tomorrow somewhere... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
had a few buddy's head to Sullivan today reports were 4" of clear ice and good haul of perch i will be heading to superior this coming weekend

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 I got a chance to get out today...1st time this year 2 different lakes  I went to morningside park & lake to superior ..
 the ice was clear on both lakes...  A dusting of snow about 3"-3 1/2'  of solid ice ...I managed to get 1 pickeral & 1 small perch ..  checked out my gear
 a fun day  :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Kbaez,Deweyicefish thank you for your reports. I'm assuming the higher elevation and slightly lower temperatures in Sullivan County were good for ice making. I stopped at Diamond Lake in Winding hills park (off of rt;17k in town of Montgomery Orange county) on Friday parts of the lake were still open water.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Kbaez,Deweyicefish thank you for your reports. I'm assuming the higher elevation and slightly lower temperatures in Sullivan County were good for ice making. I stopped at Diamond Lake in Winding hills park (off of rt;17k in town of Montgomery Orange county) on Friday parts of the lake were still open water.
Steve

Sullivan county small lakes and ponds are primed ...cold calm nights and everything freezes up ...looking to be quite the warm up over the weekend and a week or so ...looks like Christmas day and beyond has some good ice making weather.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sullivan county small lakes and ponds are primed ...cold calm nights and everything freezes up ...looking to be quite the warm up over the weekend and a week or so ...looks like Christmas day and beyond has some good ice making weather.

YUP! Warmer days coupled by night temps in the low 20s makes for good strong ice forming as long as the winds stay down. I have not gone past SB, or White lake yet but I suspect there is still a lot of open water on them because the winds keep them open longer. Very rare around here to be out on the big lakes much before the new year. I am hoping for no snow that tends to cover and then produce weak ice if it does not melt and re freeze.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got a chance to get out today...1st time this year 2 different lakes  I went to morningside park & lake to superior ..
 the ice was clear on both lakes...  A dusting of snow about 3"-3 1/2'  of solid ice ...I managed to get 1 pickeral & 1 small perch ..  checked out my gear
 a fun day  :icefish:
    how thick was the ice on superior vs morningside

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My local pond had 4-4.5 inches yesterday afternoon ...my hit it on Thursday .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey diehard, I know there are huge slime darts in one of our local ponds (I fished it Thanksgiving weekend), but have only heard that there are crappie and perch still in it...have you caught any jumbos out of it? 30 years ago we used to catch nice perch using tip ups on the pond. Be careful on the left by the springs...
My local lake had 3 inches at my access on Sunday, gotta be good now.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
BlueSail...no perch in that pond have ever been caught by me or my posse ..but some nice sun fish and some awesome crappie ...but ya gotta sift through those slime darts ...well if you have 3" I.F/O your access I will bet down from you has even more ..now I may hafta switch gears/locations on Thursday .

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
got out for a couple of hours on waywayanda lake/pudding street pond in California hill state forest, putnam county.  Ice was about 3.5-4 inches.  Marked some fish around some timber but couldn't get any bites.  Now I have to work :/ hopefully the ice holds up this weekend.   I did catch a couple 9 inch bluegills there in the spring so hopefully i can figure it out.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
BlueSail...no perch in that pond have ever been caught by me or my posse ..but some nice sun fish and some awesome crappie ...but ya gotta sift through those slime darts ...well if you have 3" I.F/O your access I will bet down from you has even more ..now I may hafta switch gears/locations on Thursday .
is that a private pond or public thats alot closer of a drive for me then sullivan county  maybe interested  in checking it out on saterday and do you park on the end of waywayonda ct?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
is that a private pond or public thats alot closer of a drive for me then sullivan county  maybe interested  in checking it out on saterday and do you park on the end of waywayonda ct?

First ice locations for me in Sullivan county are private lakes/ponds ...after that its public lakes in Sullivan county.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie

Its in the state forest so it is public land.  You can park at the end of waywayanda court and along the street as long as there is no snow.  It is a dirt road and I don't think it gets plowed all the way down.  Maybe we can meet up for a bit Saturday morning and tag team it.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Its in the state forest so it is public land.  You can park at the end of waywayanda court and along the street as long as there is no snow.  It is a dirt road and I don't think it gets plowed all the way down.  Maybe we can meet up for a bit Saturday morning and tag team it.
sounds good ima take a ride and check out the lake tomorrow after work. check out the lake and check the blades on my auger if all check out ill be there saterday in a black shanty with a few people stop by

Offline FishMike

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone checked Chodikeeeeeee?

Offline T-Rain08

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Fish Mike! Cant wait to hit the hard water!

Offline FishMike

• IceShanty Rookie
For sure! Hope you got some deers this year and filled that freezer! Remember...if it's brown it's down.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
sounds good ima take a ride and check out the lake tomorrow after work. check out the lake and check the blades on my auger if all check out ill be there saterday in a black shanty with a few people stop by

will see you there if the rain isn't too bad

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
First ice locations for me in Sullivan county are private lakes/ponds ...after that its public lakes in Sullivan county.

Interesting, I tend to do the exact opposite, public then private as the public lakes are usually fished out after first ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Interesting, I tend to do the exact opposite, public then private as the public lakes are usually fished out after first ice.

I can usually access private pond/lakes quite earlier as they freeze first with easier access..to scratch that itch and work out some new add ons to equipment and techniques..usually first ice is the first two weeks of January of the season followed  by 4 weeks or so for mid winter doldrum ice fishing and the last 2 or so weeks of late ice...if March weather cooperates .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I highly doubt the public lakes get fished out, the bigger ones I mean like SB, White Lake, Toronto and Superior. I do agree with die hard that first ice is best and the fish are more active. Then they seem to go into a hibernation of sorts right around mid February and seem to wake up a bit just before ice out. I do my best fish catching right at early ice out when the shorelines are open but the middle is still ice. Those fish were not fished out and more likely just taking a long nap and conserving energy in the deep cold not needing to eat that often.

Gam

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Checked two small reservoirs in Highland, 1.75-2". Will check Chodikee tmrw evening.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I highly doubt the public lakes get fished out, the bigger ones I mean like SB, White Lake, Toronto and Superior. I do agree with die hard that first ice is best and the fish are more active. Then they seem to go into a hibernation of sorts right around mid February and seem to wake up a bit just before ice out. I do my best fish catching right at early ice out when the shorelines are open but the middle is still ice. Those fish were not fished out and more likely just taking a long nap and conserving energy in the deep cold not needing to eat that often.

Gam

Yep that's what I meant, sorry for the bad wording. I've only been fishing Sullivan for 2 years, this season is going to be my 3rd, but in my limited experience I've always had 2-3 good trips on public water during first ice before it shuts down for me and then I have to go looking elsewhere. After that first ice, the fish all seem to get super finicky and it takes a lot more effort to get them to bite, and that's when I switch to the private stuff and that bite generally holds up a lot better probably due to less fishing pressure and etc.

Offline tomtsled

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
www.vadosbait.com

Well, the link is good and they do have live bait to sell. So I placed an order, 500 Giant Meal worms for $14.00 which are in stock. Then I get an email explaining live bait must be shipped 2nd day air at a cost of $38-$40 plus the cost of the worms. Can't honestly blame this on the seller and I do appreciate being warned up front so I could cancel the order. This would probably be a much better deal if a bunch of guys got together and ordered 5,000 worms at a time and split them up after they arrive.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well, the link is good and they do have live bait to sell. So I placed an order, 500 Giant Meal worms for $14.00 which are in stock. Then I get an email explaining live bait must be shipped 2nd day air at a cost of $38-$40 plus the cost of the worms. Can't honestly blame this on the seller and I do appreciate being warned up front so I could cancel the order. This would probably be a much better deal if a bunch of guys got together and ordered 5,000 worms at a time and split them up after they arrive.

Gam

I have used JADA bait for several years now ..the shipping is included in the price...no meal worms though

https://www.ja-dabait.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.