The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Little Sebago or Great Pond  (Read 683 times)

Offline WizBang

• IceShanty Rookie
Little Sebago or Great Pond
« on: Feb 15, 2024, 09:38 PM »
So I found a couple places to take the kids for a few days...Great Pond on eastern edge just south of Hatch Cove and Little Sebago on the eastern shore across from Lyon point.  3 young kids so Im toting the pop up out and setting up basecamp.  Im way overanalyzing...which lake do you recomend?  Hopefully some tipup action and jigging.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Re: Little Sebago or Great Pond
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:12 AM »
Well I'm kind of Partial to Great Pond as  I live in Rome, Maine.  The pike fishing on Great Pond and Long Pond will pick up from mid February on thru the month of March as they move into weedy shallows to spawn.  When the bite is on you can get a lot of fast action mid morning with pike in the 24" range which is a lot of fun for the Kids.  Think lighter tackle like you would use for trout and salmon for the smaller pike as they are shy of those big hooks and steel leaders in my opinion and you will still catch them without your leader getting bit off but you do risk losing the big pike on lighter tackle no question about it so mix it up with some traps rigged with heavier tackle.

Good luck, it's great that you are getting the Kids outdoors and learning about ice fishing!

EmeraldShiner  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Frustaci18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 12:05 PM »
Any updates on ice conditions on great pond?.. we are coming up the 27th and we will be staying on the cove next to long point.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2024, 03:01 PM »
Any updates on ice conditions on great pond?.. we are coming up the 27th and we will be staying on the cove next to long point.

There is fishable ice but reports of open water on long, messo, and great.  I would definitely keep your eyes peeled especially if not familiar with the perennial bad spots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.