Author Topic: Some Bayrunner Mods  (Read 35402 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Some Bayrunner Mods
« Reply #60 on: Oct 17, 2015, 03:54 PM »
I REALLY like this shack and have been watching them since the first came out, I'm wanting to get one this season but I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone who has one could answer. The trap doors on the floor look kinda small, do you have to be precise on hole location and do the trap doors let snow in when traveling long distances? Also wondering if the tub fills up with the ice chips, slush and water from drilling a 8" hole? I'm wanting to pull it with my ATV so I'm wondering about Hyfax kit? Like I said I have been watching for a while and I'm ready to get one bought. FANTASTIC mods guys keep the pictures coming.

The trap doors are very well built and don't let anything in, the only exception I could imagine but haven't experienced would be if there was standing water over a couple inches while you towed with your wheeler, that might let small amounts of water in. You definitely don't want to drill your holes from inside, you'd fill the tub with water for sure but it only takes a couple tries to learn where to put your holes then push the runner over them, I usually drill two holes side by side then center on one and the other ends up mostly covered by the floor but still enough room to put a transducer in... Here's a pic with two six inch holes... If your towing behind a wheeler all the time I would think a hyfax set would be a good idea.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Hey 800, LOVE the mods....I did the same thing with eye bolts and eskimo hooks, never slid (so far)....the only thing I have not done is the bench seat....I am going to look for a folding seat I can bolt into the bench

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:17 PM »
If you do 8" holes you can drill 3. In a row with an inch between. Two will be usable holes and the middle one will be exposed enough for your transducer wire. As stealth said, drill first than position. Would imagine it would be awkward trying to drill in the sled not even considering chips and water everywhere

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Wow! Tha bayrunner 2 looks really neat. Just a little bit wider, but orientation changed to make it more comfortable for two.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Hey 800, LOVE the mods....I did the same thing with eye bolts and eskimo hooks, never slid (so far)....the only thing I have not done is the bench seat....I am going to look for a folding seat I can bolt into the bench

My original plan was to steal one of the folding swivel seats from my Nitro and mount it to the bench but found it would be too high not only to fold up the tent but also too high to be comfortable... for me at least and I'm about 6'. So I thought about building a new seat frame that was lower to replace the bench but then you give up the storage height under the seat, that's when I decided to make the stock bench more comfortable and did the backrest. If you do go the folding seat route post it up so we can all see some more options for seating mods.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:31 PM »
There in lies the problem...I cannot find one that is not too bulky, will fold flush enuff to zip close and mount the cover and can be bolted to the bench....where did u get the hinges to mount your back rest? I would like to try that....bolt the hinges to the bench and build a back rest...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Wow! Tha bayrunner 2 looks really neat. Just a little bit wider, but orientation changed to make it more comfortable for two.

It does look pretty cool setup sideways like that, certainly more room for two. Though it does look like it could tip over if you sat with the bench all the way back. I'm really surprised we haven't seen the other manufacturers doing similar setups yet.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:37 PM »
There in lies the problem...I cannot find one that is not too bulky, will fold flush enuff to zip close and mount the cover and can be bolted to the bench....where did u get the hinges to mount your back rest? I would like to try that....bolt the hinges to the bench and build a back rest...

They are from an old folding boat seat I had laying around, I think it was one of these... http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boat-seats/fold-down-boat-seats%7C/pc/104794380/c/104705280/sc/104341680/cabela-s-fisherman-low-back-seat/1942280.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffold-down-boat-seats%2F_%2FN-1100614%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104341680

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Thanks, I just found a set on EBAY....then either I will clone your idea of taking the shelf and moving it to my back rest or....and I really like your shelf idea, build my own...I assume you just bolted your shelf into the same holes? Did u go 2x6 pine?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Oct 17, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Thanks, I just found a set on EBAY....then either I will clone your idea of taking the shelf and moving it to my back rest or....and I really like your shelf idea, build my own...I assume you just bolted your shelf into the same holes? Did u go 2x6 pine?
I think the top shelf is a 1"x8" and the bottom is a 1"x5" can't remember and it's still kinda tucked away in the den where I can't open it but I know the bottom is smaller to clear the slant of the tub. I'm guessing I used the existing holes, I know I used the biggest fender washers I could fit anywhere that something is bolted through the tub.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Oct 17, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Shackman Shoney- I put the Hyfax kit on mine well worth it...

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Has anyone tried taking the bench out and just bring a lawn chair with them? I pulled the bayrunner out of summer storage today and was playing around with the idea a bit . Obviously if i was bringing my son along i would put the bench back in, but i think a full scissor chair would be way more comfy than the bench even with the shelf backrest mod. I have a carpet laid in the bottom of mine, so the grooves in the tub don't seem to be much of an issue stability wise.  Other than that didn't really do much with her except check if she fits in my new vehicle (just, no more rooftop hauling for me!).

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Has anyone tried taking the bench out and just bring a lawn chair with them? I pulled the bayrunner out of summer storage today and was playing around with the idea a bit . Obviously if i was bringing my son along i would put the bench back in, but i think a full scissor chair would be way more comfy than the bench even with the shelf backrest mod. I have a carpet laid in the bottom of mine, so the grooves in the tub don't seem to be much of an issue stability wise.  Other than that didn't really do much with her except check if she fits in my new vehicle (just, no more rooftop hauling for me!).

I never brought it out on the ice without the bench but I did try a camp chair in there while I had the bench out at home and what I found is it was a little low to be able to see out the windows well and it's tough to get the chair where you want it because of the hi and low spots in the tub... the legs always find the low spots, if the tub floor were smooth it would work much better. I did try this before I carpeted mine though... the carpet may help "smooth" out the floor enough.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:06 AM »
when I was testing I found that the carpet did work to smooth out the channels. Chair didn't slip into any specific spots. unfortunately the only way I could test was to put the chair in the front facing the bench seat as the chair couldn't go over the bench and still have it's legs touch. It looks like I should have ample room to setup as close/far from the holes as I like, but won't really know until the bench is fully removed.  I was testing with a lawn chair instead of a camp chair because I also find camp chairs too low and too awkward to get in and out of fast. the chair seat height is within an inch or two of the bench. I will give it a try on the ice this year and report back. Chair weighs less than the bench, the only negative I can think of is that it will take some rearranging of items in the sled to get it setup initially due to the cross braces between the leg pairs.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:45 AM »
I guess the way a lawn chair is made without 4 legs but with just 2 half squares it would bridge the high/low spots too... Let us know how it works.

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Nov 05, 2015, 10:03 AM »
These mods are great !
I just wanted to be able to take the seat off and put in the
bottom to pack it up. a  couple pieces of pvc did the trick.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Good idea for those that want to be able to pull the seat. I assume it just snaps on to the factory seat bars?

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Yep...  I sit on it to pop it down....takes a pretty good yank to take it off

A little trial and error cutting the width of the pvc out,
I wanted it pretty snug.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:48 PM »
good looking beagle pulling that shanty

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:13 PM »
good looking beagle pulling that shanty

Haha thanks, she's a tough little hound but she's not that tough... I always have her leashed on the ice, don't want her roaming and bugging people or slipping through somewhere that someone's using 10" holes.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #81 on: Dec 20, 2015, 07:22 AM »
I had a flip shanty I just sold because I had my eye on a Bay Runner. I like to hole hop if the fish aren't biting and the flip was to much work to move round. Just the whole idea not packing everything up to move was the selling point for me. So I bought a Bay Runner at Fleet Farm for $275.00. No ice in Green Bay as of Dec. 20th so it gives me time to make some mods. I don't like fishing without a back rest so I plan on buying one of these stadium seats. 2 inch padded cushion, metal frame around the whole seat and back and 16 inches wide $25.00. Their are some good ideas on this site for the Bay Runner thanks for taking the time to post the mods.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #82 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Here are some mods I made to the Bay Runner.
Bolted some plastic skids to the bottom of the sled and then welded some brackets for my tow bar when using my snowmobile or fasten a rope to pull the shanty by hand.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #83 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Fasten a stadium seat to the bench.

Built a storage compartment behind the seat. Great place for 1 pound propane tanks, ect.   

Offline Beeler

« Reply #84 on: Dec 29, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I had a 1/4 inch thick polycarbonate sheet that I cut to size to fit on the floor then glued a rubber mat to the plastic sheet using contact cement. The whole floor can be removed in one piece.   

Offline Beeler

« Reply #85 on: Dec 29, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Built a shelf to hold things you see in the picture. Everything is fasten down on the top shelf so that when I hole hop they won't fall off the shelf when moving the shanty. The Marcum is on a swivel to get the best view.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Looking good! and I see you have the new model with the clear tent lol.
I like the storage spot in the rear, that's a good idea. 1/4" plywood?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Very nice ...Very nice
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:47 PM »

Well , after a good week of using the Bay runner  every day, the seat isn't working out. Cant slide back far enough with the back on,,I'm 6'4" So this has worked out much better, and really opened space up!

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Does anyone with a bay runner 2 have a picture of a sonar set on the shelf?  I'm putting some serious thought into getting one of these but the shelf on the 2 man sled seemed a little small. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.