New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: trout lake  (Read 467 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
trout lake
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Pretty sure I read that trout lake(warren county) is no longer being stocked with trout by the DEC. Is that true? For how long? Did the county hatchery fill the void? What happened anyway?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: trout lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I don't know but somebody keeps stocking trout in Maine :%$#!: :blink: @)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:13 PM »
from what i was told    that is true due to the lack of public access to the lake   dec doesnt want to stock a lake with limited area that sportsman can use
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:08 AM »
There was an article in the NY outdoor news this year. I think it mentioned limited access as well. That said I've seen plenty of ice fisherman out there in years past. :-\ Never been up there in open water but I though there was a small boat launch? I actually caught some decent trout last year through  the ice.

Fishmon

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:02 AM »
DEC did not stock, and from what I could determine, Warren County did not stock this year.  The issue is limited access.  The existing "public" access is a 6 foot wide chain link fenced corridor with two concrete posts in the middle of it to keep snowmobile or ATVs from  getting on the  lake.  In addition, there is no parking other than the roadside, and you will get ticketed if you are partially on the pavement.  This is not what I call public access.  I agree with the DEC and the County decision not to continue stocking the lake for private landowners.  I have fished there in the past carrying my sports pal over  the concrete posts cursing all the way down to the lake.  It was a pretty good rainbow trout fishery for a "put and take" situation.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Never fished it in the summer but accessed the lake during ice season from the old girls camp on west side of the lake.  There was a small plowed out area on the left left of the road that could fit 4-6 cars. I landed some nice 16inch bow last year. Oh well :-\

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011, 03:31 PM »
I had heard this and checked the DEC stocking reports for 2011. They did not stock lake this year. Agree the access was very limited, but did manage to get canoe or kayak  to water. Will miss fishing it in the Fall it had some nice size rainbows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.