New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Odd red worm in pike  (Read 961 times)

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Odd red worm in pike
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Caught a few Pike at red lake today and while filleting them up I found a long, about 5" skinny red worm in the tail section of one of the fish. I'm used to the tiny black worms and the fat little white grubs but this is a new one on me. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would. Has anyone else seen this?
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Odd red worm in pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I caught a perch with a longish pale red worm in it.  The fish looked like it had a sore on it's side and the worm was just under the skin.

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Mmmmmm, protein!! @)
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Budbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "NIP"?? OHH YEA!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Mmmmm good
"MONGO'S"

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Mmmmm good
Yep, eat the worms and through the pike away ;D

Offline longhair36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:09 PM »
I've seen the little white grubs in perch recently. What are they and should you actually eat them or not? :P

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I've seen the little white grubs in perch recently. What are they and should you actually eat them or not? :P
Perch..... yuck! throw them back in the hole :whistle:

Offline adktrouter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm pulling over, i wanna fish that.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I remembered reading this a while ago. so i copied and posted . got it from olcrawdad.

Team IceShanty Addict

pull, pull

Re: Grubs in Perch
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:53 AM »
here is a link: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/fisheries_management/grubby_fish.htm

here is some text from the linked page:

It is not uncommon to catch a freshwater fish that appears "grubby" -- infested with pinhead size lumps that are white to yellow or black in color. Many people wonder, is this some new disease? Is the fish safe to eat? This is not a new disease and "grubby" fish may be safely consumed by humans providing they are completely cooked, thereby killing the grubs.

Some fish have only their skin and fins affected. Others are targeted in their musculature and a few may have one or more of their internal organs involved. All of these "grubs" are dormant encysted larval flatworm parasites.

Cysts, which appear black, are a result of melanin pigment produced by the fish host and deposited around the cysts. Only certain flatworm species stimulate pigment production; otherwise their cysts appear off-white to yellow.

Flatworms are scientifically referred to as digenetic trematodes. This animal group includes numerous species of which most are parasitic - that is, they live with a host organism at the expense of the host.

Most parasitic trematodes utilize two or three hosts during their life cycle. Those which cause grubby fish usually take advantage of snails, fish and fish eating birds and mammals. The yellow grub of perch is typical. It infests the great blue heron as an adult worm and is depicted here as an example:

The life cycle begins as fertile eggs (2) produced by adult flukes (1) which live in the mouth of the heron (7).
The eggs are shed to open water as the heron feeds. The first stage larvae, called miracidia (3), emerge from the eggs and penetrate a suitable snail host (4). Within the snail, miracidia undergo numerous cycles of asexual reproduction in various developmental phases after which second stage larvae, called cercariae (5), emerge from the snail and swim about in search of a suitable fish host, such as the yellow perch (6). Cercariae penetrate the fish and encyst to assume the third larval stage -- metacercariae (6), also known as grubs. When the infested fish is consumed by the heron, the metacercariae excyst (come out of the cyst) and become adult flukes (1) in the mouth of the heron, thus completing the cycle.

Unless the parasite incidence is extreme within a given host, fish grub fluke adults and larvae usually do not appear to harm the host. The snail probably suffers the most due to the intensive reproduction of larval forms within. Occasionally, fish hosts can be harmed when vital organs are involved.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:30 AM »
Flatworms? Gross. I hope I don`t find any...
Master Laker taker.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Perch..... yuck! throw them back in the hole :whistle:
dont throw them down the hole give them to me  :P
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline longhair36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:35 PM »
thanks alot that clears up a question I've had for a long time. Thanks alot adktrouter :thumbsup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:34 PM »
The only thing worst than a whole worm is a half worm

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:32 PM »
ive seen them in the but hole in fish in hot water summer time 

Offline adktrouter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm pulling over, i wanna fish that.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:02 PM »
thanks alot that clears up a question I've had for a long time. Thanks alot adktrouter :thumbsup:

no problem. i've  caught perch so infested you could see the grubs in and around their eyes. in their gills. and just under their skin on their stomach. and if you cut them out they unfold and wiggle around a bit..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.