The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Question about using a drill  (Read 1837 times)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Question about using a drill
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:51 AM »
I'm in the mood for switching out my gas auger for a cordless drill setup. I see a lot of people like Rigid octane but there are other "drills" with significantly more torque. I used drills in quotes because I'm actually talking about impact wrenches.
When drilling through the ice with something like the Rigid, is the hammer mode used? Is it the torque that's more important? An impact wrench would have significantly more torque but there must be a reason why no one uses them. It maybe they do and I haven't seen it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Question about using a drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Do not used the impact mode, as will probably ruin blades, torque is more important !

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:31 AM »
I had read in several other posts to use drill mode in the lowest power setting...and it worked for me. I have a 600 in.lb. drill on a 4" laser and have no issues whatsoever, and I am very confident it will turn a 6" as well. One rule of thumb I also read is figure 100 in.lb. for every inch of auger you are turning. Hope this helps.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:40 AM »
Do not used the impact mode, as will probably ruin blades, torque is more important !

This is where I'm confused. An impact wrench would provide several more times torque than the hammer drill. If I understand correctly, which maybe I don't, impact provides additional rotational force, where hammer provides an up and down motion.

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:01 AM »

I made the switch this year.  I use a Dewalt 996 drill  ( 6 ahr battery ) on a clam plate with a 6" finbore.  setup cuts very fast , better than my strikemaster gas auger.

I did have a small learning curve and now don't apply any downward pressure...just let it cut

The 996 is a hammer drill, I use it in drill mode not hammer, set on lowest speed for max torque

I found the 996 0n Ebay new for about 80 bucks, and an aftermarket 6 ahr battery for about 25.

the Dewalt 991 has the same torque rating but is a drill/driver with ne hammer capabilities.

As soon as I get some new blades I'll be trying it with a 8" finbore

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:37 PM »
This is where I'm confused. An impact wrench would provide several more times torque than the hammer drill. If I understand correctly, which maybe I don't, impact provides additional rotational force, where hammer provides an up and down motion.
.      A impact wrench you can’t shut off the impact part of it, where with the drill u can and run it in drill mode , do not run in hammer mode, only drill mode. They have a switch to change it where a impact only driver does not.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:34 PM »
hammer drills have generally betters steel gears.   

plus they have the side handle

you do not use the hammer mode though

home depot had a variety.   go check them out.   i own a dewalt 20v lithium hammer drill.        it works super on my 6 inch mora

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I think I understand now. Going to try the Ryobi since I have the batteries but I am keeping my eye on the Rigid.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I think I understand now. Going to try the Ryobi since I have the batteries but I am keeping my eye on the Rigid.

Make sure you get the p251. Its $47 and free shipping on amazon.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:33 PM »
That's the one I ordered. Look forward to trying it out and getting out on the ice.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:59 PM »
I have the Ryobi p251 and have zero complaints. They do seem to perform better with the Lithium+ HP batteries. I’ve now run mine on a bunch of different bits just to have first hand experience with how they compare.

Since this is my lightweight early ice, walking out set up I’m ok with running it primarily on a 6” shaver bit. It’s handled an 8” mora with zero issues, an 8” nils with zero issues, a 7” Lazer with no issues, and a 6” K-Drill with no issues. Amount of ice I can drill with each of those bits varies but that drill handles them fine.

If you put it on a clam plate watch closely at how the plate trigger contacts the drill trigger. The one beef I have with this drill is that the drill trigger could be engineering better so that it can take more of a beating. The clam trigger can pull it down and stress the connection breaking the plastic drill trigger. It’s not a deal breaker but is something you should be aware of if you throw this one on a clam plate. Because of this I’ve switched to a Kovac ice master adapter for the 6” bits but if I am going to use a more aggressive blade I’ll put it back on the plate.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I plan on using a clam plate.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I finally got to use it today. It was a game changer for me. The speed is impressive. And not having to worry about gas is very nice too. Thank you all. :tipup:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I finally got to use it today. It was a game changer for me. The speed is impressive. And not having to worry about gas is very nice too. Thank you all. :tipup:

Glad it all worked out for you. Been using mine quite a bit as well for the first time this season. As many have said, the laser type augers do grab a bit and took a little getting used to but man...!!!  :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Glad it all worked out for you. Been using mine quite a bit as well for the first time this season. As many have said, the laser type augers do grab a bit and took a little getting used to but man...!!!  :thumbsup:

A good tip I was told years ago that still works... since you aren't turning the auger by hand- dont rush it. Once the auger bites and starts cutting, let the weight of the auger do the work. If you are not pushing down, the lazer usually won't catch. If you have to push down for it to cut, something is wrong. Works with gas and electric augers.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.