Author Topic: Using the Marmish  (Read 7922 times)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Using the Marmish
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Marmish goes through paypal for payment. Paypal takes all major CCs, Visa included.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I just ordered one through the fishin hole! It didn't say how long it would take to get here.  Thanks for your help guys.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:38 PM »
no problems man glad i could help

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Marmish goes through paypal for payment. Paypal takes all major CCs, Visa included.

its cheaper going thru a dealer becuz Marmish won't undercut them so they will charge more on the Marmish website.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:46 PM »
ok so you guys are getting me more and more closer to getting one of these darn things but my question is how thick of line you guys running ...? i fish for walleye pike and perch i use a 6lb light action rod for perch 6 lb light med action for walleye and if i am going for pike i use tip up and i med heavy rod with spider braid

now my biggest fish was a 44 inch northern on 6 lb line ... you just gotta have patience  but it is easy enough for a person to do

so what test line you running and how much of it can you fit on your spool ?
on marmish it says up to 150' but what test is that ?

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:03 PM »
...how thick of line you guys running ...? i fish for walleye pike and perch i use a 6lb light action rod for perch 6 lb light med action for walleye and if i am going for pike i use tip up and i med heavy rod with spider braid

I run Berkley Fireline Micro Ice in 2lb test.  It is about half the diameter of dental floss but 4 times as strong (so feel free to bring jerky along in your lunch).  I only use my Marmish for perch really but it has caught the odd wayward pike, never bigger than about 3lbs though.  I have had a couple snap offs (all pike I think, except for that one 18" perch ;) ) especially when figuring out the "manual" drag on the Marmish.  I put the entire 50yd spool on my Marmish and there would be room for another 2 spools if I thought for a second that was needed.

Ian Kirby

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Im not to fond of hand lining 2lb test.  the line will freeze to the ice and break, and is gonna get in a huge knot. Can I use the marmish to reel in  fish or is plling em by hand the only option

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:27 PM »
...the line will freeze to the ice and break, and is gonna get in a huge knot. Can I use the marmish to reel in  fish or is plling em by hand the only option

I have never had a problem with it freezing to the ice and breaking.  I have had it laying on the ice in a pile and in my guide in a pile and near my buddy heater in a pile and although there has been one or two knots over the time I have used the Marmish it was clearly a case of operator error and not the lines fault.  Sometimes a flopping perch heading for a hole causes a mad scramble and that is usually what causes the knot. 

You could theoretically use the Marmish to "reel" in the fish at a 1:1 ratio but I doubt you would try that more than once or twice.  After you get one and try it out on you favourite pan fish lake you will be hand lining in fish after fish with a smile on your face.

Ian Kirby

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Ok so im seriously considering getting one of these puppies. They have two models on the website. should I get the stiff one, or more flexible one?? What is a good website to buy em from, the Marmish site is pricy

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:41 PM »
I use 5 pound tippet material. Any kind will do. It thinner than anything of the same pound test and has ALOT less memory. 5 lb is strong to.

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Ok so im seriously considering getting one of these puppies. They have two models on the website. should I get the stiff one, or more flexible one?? What is a good website to buy em from, the Marmish site is pricy

The flexibility of the rod is really not that important (you do all the fighting by hand).  The main difference is the strike indicators on the rods.  The standard rod has a slightly different style of strike indicator (seen here) that are interchangeable for a large variety of jig weights. Whereas the competition rod has a strike indicator that is for the lightest jigs and most sensitive strikes. 

I personally have the competition rod and have used only very small jigs 1/64oz and smaller with it (I have always been successful in my two winters using them, so why change?).  Perhaps if you want to know more about the differences you could try and PM TGF he is a mod on iceshanty.com and has both types.

As far as buying them remember those prices are in Canadian dollars at marmish.ca so for you American fellas it would be like an automatic 15% off.

Ok that's my last post about this.  I love my Marmish but I just read through my last few post and I'm staring to sound like a salesman.  :laugh: :laugh:
Ian Kirby

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:18 AM »
I started out with stren ice 6 lb. test, but I didn't care for it, and it seems very thick and stiff. I switched to Trilene XL 4 lb. last night, so I will give that a test this weekend. As for hand line, I enjoy fighting the fish by hand, and haven't had any problems with knots or tangles. The reel Is deceiving. It holds a lot more line than it looks like it will.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Looks like it'd be a pain in the ass to get set back up after catching (or losing) a fish. I'm not going to lie, i'm going to agree with the guy on the first page, when i see a picture of this i instantly think "junk", maybe i'm wrong but i'll prob never bring myself to try one, I'll just keep using my St. Croix Rod with a Marmish Jig.... I really do think their jigs are some of the best on the market.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:39 AM »
its cheaper going thru a dealer becuz Marmish won't undercut them so they will charge more on the Marmish website.

Problem is that dealers don't have the jigs and bobbers that marmish has. If you just want the plain marmish rod go with a retailer but if you want certain jigs, SB, or their comp rod you end up ording marmish direct.

I have one marmish with 2lb and one marmish with 3lb. When I get my Jonntu rod I'm putting 1lb. on it. Just have to be careful with the line. It also helps if you use a more visible color line, clear can get lost against the ice/snow.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:29 PM »
does trilene still make the solar green line any more  that stuff would work well on the ice lol

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:27 PM »
mustad makes solar green line. Dont know how low the pound test goes but they make it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:53 PM »
You can get Asso line in several hi-vis colors. http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/asso.html

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Now that I think about it though, using a Marmish is very inefficient.  You gotta handline this fish all the way up, then if your line doesn't get tangled, drop it back down and jig. It's much faster, cleaner and more compact to use a spinning reel

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:44 AM »
Despite not owning one I'm gonna go out on a limb and defend this thing. It's only a matter of time til I break down and add this thing to my arsenal. For those w/o a vex getting to your depth must be instant. No more bouncing off the bottom 2 cranks up. Am I there? Try again. This Marmish is already there once you set it. If you can fight a fish on a tipup with out tangling then you can do it with this. Same applies to line freezing to the ice. When I finally do buy one. I'd rig it with 8' berkley vanish. Super strong-super thin-super sensitive. Occasionally on our local lakes I'll bump into an old dude jigging with one of those old scool wooden handmade jig sticks. These guys can smoke a school of perch real fast with this method. You can tell by the way they work it, it's been a lifelong method. We fish any way because none of us here are the lazy dude's loafing on the couch. We work we fish. I think this thing can really produce some fish I'f you're not affraid to work it. Now I'm starting to sound like a darn salesman too. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:21 PM »
You can use Marmish springs on spinning rods. It is not that tough to do, but it will ruin you for st croix springs forever. ;D

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:10 PM »
Here is a couple pics I have downloaded so far. Caught all fish on Marmooska jigs with 4lb test. The pike was fun and lasted about eight minutes. Utilizing the drag on the marmish is a art.

I have been slamming the panfish lately with my marmish. This is just one day I decided to keep enough for a meal.

I know these pictures are not of trophy size but some example of things caught. I will post the trophy pictures towards the end of the season.  ;)
<

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I think using these rods in 30 foot of water is a wast of time but hammering gills in six to eight foot would be a hoot.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I have four Marmish rods, two with 2lb Berkley Micro Ice and 2 with Asso 3lb .  I use them  in 6 - 15 fow for bluegills.  Anything deeper and it takes a looong time for the jig to get back down to the bottom.

I grew up fishing with a handline so handlining a Marmish isn't a big deal.   

The thing I really like is that you can make some very subtle jigging motions to make your jig just shiver in place, do that when a bluegill has come up to take a look....works great.

If you match the jig to the bite indicator, the indicator will be bent slightly down when it's sitting still.  You'll know a fish lifted your jig when the indicator raises up. 

I like the fang and maggot jigs.

gofish33

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.