Author Topic: Using the Marmish  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
Using the Marmish
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Wanted to get a thread going on pics of people using their Marmish rods. As a great sponsor to this site I figured we should show some great support back. Post some pics. Maybe Marmish will use some of them in the future and you can be internet famous.  :)

I have a couple marmish rods and have been extremely pleased with the quality of them. I have caught hundreds of fish from panfish to northerns on them. Thanks Marmish for the great products.

<

Offline big game hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
Re: Using the Marmish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:57 AM »
i was thinking of buying them but they loook like garbage.

i have some questions on them:

where does the line go onto it.

Are there stronger and weaker rods.

do theyhave a drag adjustment.
Lets Go Fishing

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:20 PM »
The line is wound onto the spool on the end. (Around where the round hole is) Marmish has two rods, a rod with a light fiberglass blank and the other is a pliable plastic. You don't fight the fish with the rod so rod action doesn't really matter. For the drag you squeeze the handle around the spool and drag is applied.(See vids on Marmish's site) Once you set the hook you hand line the fish in.

Don't think I have any pics with the marmish rod in it, will have to try and take some.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 07:29 PM »

Shame on you for saying that. Marmish is a quality sponsor of IS and made some fine rods.

I have two (2) and use them often......

Sorry no pics though. I'll work on that!

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:50 PM »
I will get some more pics with my marmish on too. Show closer pictures of the rod itself for those with questions on them. There is not a big learning curve to them. It took me a few misses and larger fish to feel how to work the drag and handle each situation, but wouldn't trade it for any other rod. I can pack a couple of the rods in my pocket with a small box of gear and explore across a body of water without lugging extra buckets and holders.
<

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:17 AM »
They look like they would be very compact and easy to use for hole jumpers. I think I might get a couple. Can you tell me what store might carry them? I have a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Scheels, Sports Authority and Dicks Sporting Goods close to where I live.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:38 AM »
They are far from garbage! They are tough as nails! You can toss them around and step on them with no worries. :)

Marmish spring indicators are light years ahead of St. Croix's. Once you use them, you will be hooked! They are much longer and much less affected by wind and shaky hands. I am working on a custom rod right now that employs a Marmish spring for fishing deeper water. If it works out, my last St. Croix legend is getting sold. ;)

You must learn to set the hook and play fish or you will be disappointed with it though. Fishing with a Marmish is a new skill, it is not like your current gear.

I will get some pics on my next trip out. If the snow gets any deeper, I will need a helicopter to get to my spot!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:55 AM »

You sounded like some of my buddies. They used to say that till I kicked their butt many times using the marmish. Now alot of them have a couple and no more trash talk ;)2
They are weapons of mass destruction in the wrong hands.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:27 AM »
"That thing looks like a toy TGF." Ever heard that one?! :roflmao:

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:12 AM »

Hehehe i brought one to deer camp and they laughed at it and My aunt said "look it's even pink" ( the bite indicator)
THen my uncle went out with me and i OUt fished 8-1  :icefish:  After a while he said you got another of those? :whistle:

Nope not toys

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I have had many people on the ice say..."how you plan on catching fish with that toy pole". Makes me laugh everytime. I get alot of  :o looks when I pull up fish over double the size of the rod.

Great pictures TGF. Now I have to take some similar ones with other species.
<

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:01 PM »

Yep and some of my buddies called them Mickey Mouse rods ;D

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I just got one of these,Ive always been a hand liner so Im hoping for a match made in heaven,I will be finding out real soon.Hoping its going to help me out with the shallow water gill bite.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Would I be correct to assume no risk for line twist with this thing? Is it like a centrifugal drag system. Do you fight the fish by hand? Will it retract the line for you?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Check out the Marmish site and it will explain how rod works. Never had a twist problem with my lines.
You fight fish by hand but if on a run then you can squeeze the palm of your hand on the brake to slow the fish, then back to hand over hand combat.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:36 PM »
are you using the basic marmish rod or the pro tourney rod? how much better is the pro over the basic? I like 2 buy 2 but wondering which rod to go with.   :-\

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2009, 08:45 PM »
You can't go wrong with either. I have both and find the tournament rod just a little more sensitive. But get the regular to start. Extremely sensitive and you will hammer the fish.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:22 PM »
get a st.croix legend elite spring bobber rod...much wiser choice  :tipup:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:09 AM »
That one might start a fight. I think these dudes are particular to there marmish.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:30 AM »
I just got my Marmish in the mail. I can't wait to try it out this weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:13 AM »

Although the St. Croix rod is a fine rod and has some advantages over the Marmish, I'd never trade my Marmish.  When fighting fish the learning curve on the Marmish "manual" drag system can be steep and frustrating but it is still doable (advantage auto drag of spinning reel). 

Where the line is drawn for me is strike indication.  Having sat just last week perch fishing in a Fish Trap Guide with another guy for 8 hours (him using the St. Croix and me using the Marmish) the sensitivity of the Marmish is greater than that of the St. Croix but, even then, there are just bites so light that even the Marmish does not detect them (this was confirmed by sight fishing). 

Another often over looked trait of the Marmish that is nice is the ability, when the bite is hot, to get your jig back into the strike zone very rapidly after landing a fish.  With the line already spooled out it is a simple task that can prove difficult with a spinning reel while using 1/64oz jigs and smaller.

It also seemed much easier to avoid line twist.  I don't mean line twist so bad that it causes coiling when slack out of  the water.  I mean line twist that never seems to let your jig sit perfectly motionless, which I think was to my advantage the other day.

Either way you lean, towards the Marmish or towards the St. Croix I think you have fine products in your hands but don't ask to trade me a Marmish for the St. Croix. 

Ian Kirby

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I've not seen or heard of the st croix model until I saw posts here. but seeing prices on other st croix, am I wrong to think its quite a bit more than the marmish?

I will still go the marmish route regardless

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Not to hijack or get off topic but, what are everyones favorite Marmish jigs to use?

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I have only been fishing for 2 years and was wondering how you guys tie multiple jigs on a line. I saw a guy do it once for me but ever since I cant get it right any suggestions or webistes to look at thanks

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:22 PM »

Unless it is a little windy, your hands are shaky, or you have poor eyesight....

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:51 PM »
Although the St. Croix rod is a fine rod and has some advantages over the Marmish, I'd never trade my Marmish.  When fighting fish the learning curve on the Marmish "manual" drag system can be steep and frustrating but it is still doable (advantage auto drag of spinning reel). 

Where the line is drawn for me is strike indication.  Having sat just last week perch fishing in a Fish Trap Guide with another guy for 8 hours (him using the St. Croix and me using the Marmish) the sensitivity of the Marmish is greater than that of the St. Croix but, even then, there are just bites so light that even the Marmish does not detect them (this was confirmed by sight fishing). 

Another often over looked trait of the Marmish that is nice is the ability, when the bite is hot, to get your jig back into the strike zone very rapidly after landing a fish.  With the line already spooled out it is a simple task that can prove difficult with a spinning reel while using 1/64oz jigs and smaller.

It also seemed much easier to avoid line twist.  I don't mean line twist so bad that it causes coiling when slack out of  the water.  I mean line twist that never seems to let your jig sit perfectly motionless, which I think was to my advantage the other day.

Either way you lean, towards the Marmish or towards the St. Croix I think you have fine products in your hands but don't ask to trade me a Marmish for the St. Croix. 

all good points, I just cant stand having all the line piled at my feet..fish goes on a run when you got it at the bottom of the hole and look out!! :o

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:55 PM »
when i started using them about 6 years or so ago my fishing friends were like PSSSSSSSSSH whats that (scornfuly), and after i caught 4 fish to their one all day long they were like, what is that!?

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:07 AM »
I just sat down to buy one, and they don't take visa.  Are there any retailers out there that will?  I couldn't find one.  I'm not savvy enough with the computer to setup a pay pal account and my wife would kill me if I did.  I want one bad!!!!  Help!!! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.