Author Topic: Rattlin Flyer Spoon by Lindy  (Read 6874 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rattlin Flyer Spoon by Lindy
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Has anyone tried these new jig type lures yet??? Looking for some input before or if I buy them. Heard some good things from other people but not from this site. You of all should have a better idea of how they work. Thanks for any input.
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rattlin Flyer Spoon by Lindy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Have one tryed it when fish were biting other jigs just to see if it worked dropped it down there didnt catch a thing. Might have had wrong color, size who knows? Have not used it since!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I was given some of these recently, and am anxious to try them.
I have tried the Rattlin Flyer Spoons with so-so results.

http://www.outdoorcreationsinc.com/index.cgi?page=lmtu

MD

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Thanks for the help. I might buy just one instead of a kit. Looking for a little advantage while waiting for the flags to fly..............Never had much luck jigging. You have or you don't.
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:13 AM »
They work and do veer off to the side as they fall. I use a gold one on oneida for eyes at times. Like everything else sometimes the fish slam it sometimes they don't.

Offline David Barber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:47 AM »
They DO work.  The gliding action gives you a more horizontal presentation adding a more life-like attractant.  The larger sizes were out last year and the definately earned a spot in my tackle box.  I have been giving the 1/16 oz a workover this year and have had better than expected results.  I slammed gill after gill on one outing and quite a few crappies the next outing.  In fact, I was setting up jigging a 3/16 oz rattl'n flyer spoon for walleyes and hoping hole to hole when I got slammed by a crappie!  That is a large spoon to a small fish, but it took it!

As well, I was at a seminar Dave Genz put on.  He mentioned another benefit.  He will set up a tip-up not too far away from where he is jigging.  The all-brass rattle and holograph flash will often bring them in... and a few minutes later, the flag will fly.  I suppose you can do the same thing with a dead-stick with a shiner or sucker.

See my post here on a little more information:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=90198.0

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Bought the kit when they first came out.  Mixed results.  There not top on my list.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:43 AM »
i know they work great for perch have not tried them for anything else

Offline Dewman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TGIF("thank God I'm fishing)
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I tried one the other night. Got 2 small eyes. I think the weather had something to do with the slow bite. I try not to buy in to all the hype, but this time I gave in. Usually use Swedish pimples with good success. Will see when I'm with the group if one lure/bait outfishes the other, that will be my sales factor

good luck out there

Dewman

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I've used them since last season with good results on gills and perch. I usually replace the treble with a single dropper hook. I don't rely on the action of these lures, I shake the crap out of them, then pause. If that fails I start banging the bottom to stir things up, then rattle them some more. They often attract fish when none are on the screen, though a Rattling Varmint works just as well IMO.

Offline ice-dogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:20 PM »
they work!!! glow red at night for eyes.

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:46 PM »
i think they work better at attracting the fish, but alot of them seem to show up on the vex, but not bite

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:16 AM »
too flashy for me  :P

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:34 PM »
These has worked very well for me last year.  Caught lots of fish on the bare hardware.  Just very hard to catch a bluegill with it.  Hard to get a lazy walleye or perch to bite it enough to get a hook set.  I put these ahead of Chubby Darters but very close to regular spoons.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:01 PM »
The rattlin flyer's worked very well for me last season for everything from northerns, to walleyes to bluegills. The secret to using them for bluegills is to add a dropper or just replace the treble hook with a small genz bug and plastic. it attracts them in and then gives them something small to eat
IBOT Minister of Information

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I'm going to pick up a couple of the the flyer spoons this year. I like the color and the fact that they rattle. I figure they should would well with a dropper setup.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Mine have the treble replaced with a Hali chain, and single hook. The first day I tried the stock model I was missing a lot of fish. (perch and gills) Went to the single hook and started hooking up right away. Often I will start with a Flyer to bring fish in, but immediately switch to a small jig if the fish won't take. As mentioned previously you can simply add your dropper of choice to the Flyer, giving you the best of both worlds.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2009, 12:12 PM »
The 1/16th oz glow red ones were my go to last year.

Offline bullheadlodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Rattlin flyers aren't my favorite lure, had some luck with 'em though. I usually go with a Northland Buck Shot Rattle spoon instead, had a lot more luck with those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.