Author Topic: Battery powered glow jig  (Read 8095 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Battery powered glow jig
« on: Sep 24, 2007, 06:51 PM »
I found this jig on one of the site sponsors, Fish307.com. Looks like a good alternative to having to constantly "taser" your glow jigs to keep them illuminated.

Have any of you tried these? Even if you haven't, what are your thoughts?
/www.fish307.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8344

Herrick Tackle Corp. Illuminator Lures
The Illuminator Jig    ILLUMJIG
      Your Price    
      $6.99       

Detailed Description from website:
Illuminator Lures are the most technologically advanced lures in the world.  They are manufactured in a robotic clean room using the highest quality components available. 

They are designed to look like a standard "plain vanilla" jig.  Don't be fooled!  Inside the resin head there is an 80 hour lithium battery, printed circuit board, resistor and transistor.  In the shaft there is a light emitting diode that is water activated!
The paints are made of rare earth compounds that give it a superior glow.

They weigh approximately 1/8 oz.  This gives them a slow fall to keep them in the strike zone.  They are very versatile.  Use them with your favorite plastic tail.  It will have a presentation you have never seen!  The Illuminator will give a soft glow to 1-1/12 inches of the plastic. 

Try using them with bottom bouncers or a drop shot rig. Never recharge again!  Stay in the strike zone and maximize your fishing opportunities.  Also, great for night fishing walleyes with a bobber on your favorite reef.

The water activated LED turns on when wet, and turns off when dry.

No batteries or switches to mess with.  They are very sensitive and are designed to work well for open water and beneath the ice. 

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Battery powered glow jig
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:10 PM »
The link I posted didn't work at first. It should work now.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Pretty cool,  wish they had them in other jig types and weights.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:00 PM »
do they shock the fish to make them easier to haul up???  just a thought...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:25 PM »
http://www.illuminatorlures.com/home.html

There is a bit more info.  Including a short video of the Luminator in action.   Looks pretty cool. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2007, 09:23 PM »
dude! 8)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2007, 10:31 PM »
beeverfishing......Goo d job on finding the link to the video. I think I might have to get a couple of two packs to go. Couldn't hurt to give them a try. The resin head should give them a slower, more natural fall speed then a
lead head. To bad they are not rechargeable. It would be a shame to throw them out when they completely discharge.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2007, 10:41 PM »
It would be a shame to throw them out when they completely discharge.

Wouldn't need to throw them out.  They would still work as a jig with the same natural fall, just not lighted.  Of course if they turn out to be the "killer" jig, ya might not have any use for an unlighted jig head.

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2007, 11:22 PM »
I betcha they work well for night Walleye fishing.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2007, 11:45 PM »
LOL,these are going to ROCK!!! next time you go somewhere with a large aquarium,take a lazer pointer along and shine it into the tank. The fish go nuts attacking where the light is hitting.I will be ordering some ASAP!!! ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Looks good. Think I will give them a try on burbot but have tried the glow sticks attached to my lure with no sucess.
Will see how they work. I did buy some lighted lures for summer fishing but they didn't produce as well as promised.
Look forward to washing some of those lures.

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I bought some of these last season, I didn't catch anything with them, but I'm not saying you won't.

I like them , but the only problem with them is when they get wet, and you tie another lure or jig on and throw the jig in the tackle box ,it will stay on for a while, at least till its dry.

They also seem a little big, but where I was fishing with them there is not really any "record" fish to catch.

They are cool to play with though ;D
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:31 PM »
If ya snagged one on something though and lost it might not be good for water quality........Last time I checked lithium isnt good for the water?  Might be my enviromentalist side coming out though.......Who knows

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:24 PM »
like them , but the only problem with them is when they get wet, and you tie another lure or jig on and throw the jig in the tackle box ,it will stay on for a while, at least till its dry.

Yeah I noticed this myself,  I ordered some here just lately and of course could not wait to try it out so in the sink they went at night with the lights out.   Awesome color, though if it lite the head up more so than the tail I think it would be better. My 3 year old daughter thought they were awesome and cannot wait to try them out.  It did take awhile for the lights to shut off out of the water.

Still something cool to try.   As far as the lithium, it is in such small traces and in a sealed body, you would hope that it would not be an issue.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:24 AM »
RESULTS???
Is the jury still out???
I like the looks of em But rahter not cramp the box with junk@
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:52 PM »
Well,   it has not worked as well as I would have liked.    I have caught one fish with it and it was a small hammer handle pike.    But I have not used it for the hours needed.    We will see, I need some more time catching then proceed with some new adventures with the new equipment.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Well, I have to give kudos for the cool factor but really.....$7 for 2 jigs?  Maybe I'm just a cheap tightwad but seems to me I could use that money to buy quite a few more conventional glow jigs in varying different colors/styles and be much better off.....That being said, if the price comes down closer to the price of normal jigs and such I'll definately jump on these things.  Very Cool.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:06 PM »
I tried them off and on over the summer, they fish very light for an 1/8 oz and I could not use them if there was much of a wind. They have a slower fall than a normal 1/8 for sure. Suppose to be coming out with 1/4 and 3/8 size in the future and a couple of more colors, yellow and orange. The 1/4 and 3/8 I think are going to be a better weight unless your just vertical jigging with them.
I gotta chubby

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.