Author Topic: Any new perch tips?  (Read 5716 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Any new perch tips?
« on: Dec 09, 2006, 06:22 PM »
I love eating perch fillets more than any other fish but fishing for them tends to get a little monotonous. Lets trade prchslyng tips to help others who come to ice shanty.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any new perch tips?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Try using two hooks (if legal) about 1.5 feet apart with a 1/2 oz flashing sinker between them. Fish it a foot off the bottom. The top hook should have a live minnow (any kind/size) and the bottom should have something like a maggot or perch eye. I have always used this set-up and have even caught 2 fish on the same hook, as well as getting a few surprises when mr. pike decides to bite. Great for perch/panfish. Fish it higher with 2 big shiners for pike or smaller bait for smelt.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:38 PM »
I have used this exact method aside from the flahing sinker. I use a hali and tie a droppper off the chain. I let my dropper lie on the bottom. Normally my dropper gets hit the most. Ill have to try the flashing sinker, but i dont like jigging with alot of extra weight. Is a flashing sinker just an aluminum or chrome splitshot? Thanks for the info though. Ill have to look for the sinker.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2006, 09:20 PM »
The flasher can be any kind of shiny splitshot but mine looks like a 4 sided bottom bouncer without the wire. I use 1/2 oz because I usually use a wooden fishing stick for perch. For my rod and reel i use tin or steel split shot. I think the shine might simulate a small school of baitfish.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Simple enough. I love using an ultralight w/2lb test. Finesse fishing. I love the way my rod twitches when theres a big pregnant female nibbling on the other end.lol :-*

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:42 PM »
get a sweedish pimple and tie a line on the end w/a jig and waxie

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:52 AM »
Not a new tip, but it always works for me.  Bait your lure with a perch eyeball.  Don't know why, but they love it.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:23 AM »
My dead stick pole has two hooks. one about 6 inches above the bottom, one close to the sinker so the minnow lays in the mud. Most times the bottom line is the one taken. Many times my dead stick pole outproduces the jig pole.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Not a new tip, but it always works for me.  Bait your lure with a perch eyeball.  Don't know why, but they love it.

I definetly agree! Always seems to work when things slow down. I also like to use a small russian jig or teardrop tipped with a live minnow.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:28 PM »
When I find myself gettin aggrevated at the perch cause I know they are there but arent biting. I try and relax and go to the basics, a small jig with a red and white micro tube. This has always been my fav. perch lure, from when I was 4 fishing off my home dock to guiding ice fishing tours. Already I have found myself using this 3 times the first week of December, I spent alot of time with everything in my box and then I finally switched to the jig and tube and I think 3 drops in a row it did not touch the bottom before being hit.

Robin

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Our perch here seem to like the colors green and yellow best.  Early in the morning I tie my 8# Power Pro to a 3 -way swivel, with  2# P-line leaders to a green foxee jig and green micro-tube, both tipped with perch eyes.
Twitch both just enough to tickle the mud.  The pulling affect of the other jig, plus the competition on the other jig is often more than a big female can stand, and lots of times you'll get two bigger size females at the same time.  We usually switch to a yellow Foxee and yellow/white tube about noon and seems to work.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:56 PM »
I usually use a glow hook or ice fly 6 or 8 inches below some sort of weighted flasher. Sweedish Pimple works good.   Tip it with a maggot and a piece of white corn.  If they are biting real good I may just use a maggot.  There are lots of times the corn really makes a difference....

Offline TheBigPickerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:09 PM »
jigging using a small pheobe

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:03 AM »
One word - Squid.  Not the plastic ones, the real ones.  You can get a one pound package of frozen squid in the frozen food section of most larger grocery stores for around $3.00.  Keep it in your freezer, take out a couple chunks when you go perchin'.  Slice it up in strips and hook it up.  Perch love it!!!!!!!!!  I thought shrimp was great til I tried squid.  You can use it on two hook perch rigs or with jigs.  I've had good luck with squid strips on #5 Swedish Pimples and Hali jigs.  It's pretty tough and stays on the hook well and it ripples when you jig it.  Word of caution, it stinks pretty strong.  I suppose that could be  why the perch like it.

bigdave1018

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:11 PM »
dropshot rig, two glow lures above a large sinker,one with a minnow or both loaded with spikes. this rig works best over a hard mud bottom. let the rig down till it hits bottom,then jig it real hard up and down a couple of times. this stirs the mud up and i think it draws in the perch and triggers a feeding response. ive always wanted to do this using an aqua view just to see the reactions of the fish. alot of the bigger perch seem to smack the bait like they havent fed all winter. a solid thump not the usual peck peck peck lol. hope this helps. ive seen some fishers take a castmaster with the hook removed, tie on a dropper under it and use it like a flasher. jig jig quiver then repeat. the perch will let you know what presentation they want. big dave out.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2007, 07:07 AM »
My perch rig either ice fishing or from a boat is a sinker, a snelled #6 hook 2 inches above the sinker and a snelled #6 hook 1 foot above it. I use 8# stren superbraid as it is so sensitive, you feel the perch chewing on the bait when the rod tip doesn't even move. One hook lies in the mud, the other a few inches off the bottom. The bottom mud hook is the better producer. The hooks are tied directly to the line as snaps lose a lot of sensitivity. I jiggle the rod tip but don't lift it up too often, the dead stick aproach works better.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Got a couple strange things. No doubt flashers work for perch, but I like lite tackle, so there out for me. Took an old heavy ice rod, two old Cd's, and a 4oz sinker. Send them to the bottom, jig em so the sinker stirs the bottom and the Cd's flash. Reel it up, and go back to fishing, it works! Oh yea, in most of Vermont bass are out for winter, and wouldn't you know it pulls them in like a magnet. I found another tactic when perch show on the finder but won't take the normal stuff. Weighted nymphs for fly fishing. Weight on the bottom and a couple nymphs tied on above, seems to work best with very slow upward movement.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Thanks alot guys. I'm glad everyone is so willing to share ideas. Ice shanty rulz!

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:26 PM »
im going to try  a forage minnow on the bottom and a small sized bead hear wooley bugger above that both tipped with perch eyes
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.